Powerlifting/Strength Training Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 26533
  • Start date

He's talking out of his arse, loads of powerlifters have 1 relatively weak lift.

You haven't ever deadlifted 200kg, I think we all know who the deadlift king of the SMB is these days.

There's relatively weak and pathetically weak. Nobody who's achieved a genuine 140kg squat is hitting a natural limit at 75kg on a bench imo.

Well for me I was Oly lifting so bench was almost and accessory, squatting various variations 3 times a week but always ass to grass as that’s where you were in the catch. Bench is the lift most young lads concentrate on when they first start training. I would bench 100kg on a good day but squats were near double that and dead well over 200kg.

I’m shocked you haven’t seen anyone squat over 3 plates after 18 months of training tbh

Both your squats and bench would be considered intermediate to advanced there though, so it's not the same

Last edited:
There's relatively weak and pathetically weak. Nobody who's achieved a genuine 140kg squat is hitting a natural limit at 75kg on a bench imo.

Both your squats and bench would be considered intermediate to advanced there though, so it's not the same
The percentages are there or there abouts. Wind up or not you’re just making yourself look a bit silly. 18 months training in a commercial gym doesn’t give you much experience to call people out.

The percentages are there or there abouts. Wind up or not you’re just making yourself look a bit silly. 18 months training in a commercial gym doesn’t give you much experience to call people out.

If it was purely about percentages then a beginner squatter would struggle to bench press an empty bar. I'm not the one looking silly. My own lifting experience isn't the extent of my knowledge on the subject

That isn't unusual though because both are an elite level weight to lift. To be able to squat 140kg and have a beginners to low intermediate bench press is unlikely.
140kg isn't elite for a 100kg lifter like.

What you're saying isn't true though, it's perfectly possible for someone to have a big lift and another lift be comparatively weak.

140kg isn't elite for a 100kg lifter like.

What you're saying isn't true though, it's perfectly possible for someone to have a big lift and another lift be comparatively weak.

It's not just comparatively weak, it's weak. If your bench press is below what an average man can press then it seems fanciful that at the same time you've managed to achieve 140kg squats.

And you're saying that I'm wrong and it's possible. I already conceded that it's possible. Just seems unlikely. Unless you're built like a pyramid

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice. Looking at keeping protein intake at over 100g at least per day, even on rest days. I guess there is a lot more to it than that though
There are quite a few threads on this sub forum, or ask people like @supersesh or @Titus for specific advice.

If you want to add muscle without getting hefty/fat you need to consume more calories than your body needs, but only a smallish surplus.

If you want a ‘lean’ physique then look at Jeff cavaliere on YouTube.

To be fair you have only just started so keep at it, avoid injuries, use a plan such as stronglifts 5x5 or starting strength 3x5 (Rippetoe) or greyskull LP.

It's not just comparatively weak, it's weak. If your bench press is below what an average man can press then it seems fanciful that at the same time you've managed to achieve 140kg squats.

And you're saying that I'm wrong and it's possible. I already conceded that it's possible. Just seems unlikely. Unless you're built like a pyramid
If a comparison is helpful (albeit from a relative weakling) I got to about 70-75kg body weight and managed:

Bench 1RM of 90kg
Deadlift 1RM of 130kg

The aim was x2 body weight for deadlifts but my technique always concerned me so I use a hex bar now (140kg 1RM at 65kg body weight).

I was shite at squats so did leg presses instead.

People are built differently and most amateurs will be more proficient at certain lifts.

Last edited:
Tore my hamstring yesterday doing my last rep of my last set, anyone got experience of this? Recovery time, tips to speed it up? Just broke the 100kg squat mark, and dl 150kg- now all them gainz will disappear :cry:

Just based on being in the 93kg class, ya know if I wasn't such a pussy who's wife wouldn't let me I'd enter too and stalk you.

Can't remember if I said but I'm moving up to the 100s now I can't stay in the 90s anymore it takes too much out of me to make weight.

I’m aware you’re a fat little wanker, yes.

I'm not a pt but i've lifted seriously for about 18 months and my experience is that I haven't seen anybody at all in my gym in that time squatting those numbers but see people benching more than 75 every visit. So yeah it's really weird to be that strong down low and that weak up top. Not saying it's impossible but I'm sceptical

Ye probably weren't squatting right either

I guess things are pretty serious then?

He's talking out of his arse, loads of powerlifters have 1 relatively weak lift.

You haven't ever deadlifted 200kg, I think we all know who the deadlift king of the SMB is these days.

Yes. It’s still Titus who has pulled 300kg at a world championship :lol:

I've known powerlifters who squat over 300kg bench less than 150kg

Delroy McQueen springs to mind.

My bench used to be ridiculously out of kilter with my squat and deadlift.

I remember when I was squatting 200kg for the first time I still struggled with 100kg on bench for 5x5.

Last edited:
Tore my hamstring yesterday doing my last rep of my last set, anyone got experience of this? Recovery time, tips to speed it up? Just broke the 100kg squat mark, and dl 150kg- now all them gainz will disappear :cry:

'Liked' the post but obviously in sympathy rather than celebration! Can't offer anything other than best wishes for a speedy recovery mate.

My bench is comparitvely shit to the other two I guess. Dome a two week introductory program to ease me back in to things.

I'm still keeping boxing training in for the foreseeable though, which is a fair chunk of recovery capacity

Back