Post Office scandal

No, you and I pick up the tab.

Labour nor Tories nor any other party pick up the tab. They are spending OUR money not their money
Obvs.... But it represents a bit less wriggle room for prep election give aways
See also infected blood scandle and them ignoring the inquiry chair when he said they should start paying out

I believe there is an investigation by the Metropolitan Police into the Post Office and its staff over this whole incident
There are a couple of Fujitsu employees who have already been questioned. I think, though this is only my assumption, that the Met may be waiting for the inquiry to finish hearing evidence before going any further. So far as Post Office staff goes, it's a a bit of a can of worms as it's not only the people at the top who are involved, there are investigators, junior managers, even lawyers who appear to be complicit in one way or another but they're, of course, all affected by the same crippling amnesia.

All of the legal stuff is around the PO denying there was a problem with the system and stating it was not possible for Fujitsu to update accounts (which it was). It seems the focus is on these external updates allowing Fujitsu to make changes without the postmasters knowledge. Is there any documented evidence of a specific case showing what caused the issues technically and why Fujitsu would have been in there trying to fix the accounts? I'd assume it's a relatively simple system tracking debits and credits to produce a final balance. What went wrong with that? What were Fujitsu then able to see that they tried to rectify by updating entries etc? Just interested to see the actual details rather than just vague 'there was problems with my accounts and we now know the system has issues so a compensation payment is warranted'. Not saying these people aren't due compensation but you'd think each case would be able to be investigated and evidence provided showing a timeline of events.

All of the legal stuff is around the PO denying there was a problem with the system and stating it was not possible for Fujitsu to update accounts (which it was). It seems the focus is on these external updates allowing Fujitsu to make changes without the postmasters knowledge. Is there any documented evidence of a specific case showing what caused the issues technically and why Fujitsu would have been in there trying to fix the accounts? I'd assume it's a relatively simple system tracking debits and credits to produce a final balance. What went wrong with that? What were Fujitsu then able to see that they tried to rectify by updating entries etc? Just interested to see the actual details rather than just vague 'there was problems with my accounts and we now know the system has issues so a compensation payment is warranted'. Not saying these people aren't due compensation but you'd think each case would be able to be investigated and evidence provided showing a timeline of events.

A forensic accounting team worked for years on the problems with the system, which is not simple, it's highly complicated. Possibly over-complicated for what it was meant to be because it was repurposed from a failed benefits system project, but always going to be fairly hefty as its handling transactions for 15000 post offices every day.

That investigation was blocked by the post office and a lot of information was held back. However yes there is evidence of the system just miscalculating the figures entered by the sub postmaster, and Fujitsu going in and manually changing accounts so they didn't look wrong any more.

It ought to be easy to investigate this, yes. The fact that it isn't is because the Post Office and Fujitsu purposely made it very difficult to investigate.

A forensic accounting team worked for years on the problems with the system, which is not simple, it's highly complicated. Possibly over-complicated for what it was meant to be because it was repurposed from a failed benefits system project, but always going to be fairly hefty as its handling transactions for 15000 post offices every day.

That investigation was blocked by the post office and a lot of information was held back. However yes there is evidence of the system just miscalculating the figures entered by the sub postmaster, and Fujitsu going in and manually changing accounts so they didn't look wrong any more.

It ought to be easy to investigate this, yes. The fact that it isn't is because the Post Office and Fujitsu purposely made it very difficult to investigate.
Any links to actual specific evidence? Appreciate the size of the data but at the end of the day it's just data. Volume doesn't add complexity in itself. Didn't know about repurposing the benefits system - that is asking for trouble! I'd just like to know how it recorded various entries and ended up with wrong values or added/deleted entries to cause a miscalculation.

Any links to actual specific evidence? Appreciate the size of the data but at the end of the day it's just data. Volume doesn't add complexity in itself. Didn't know about repurposing the benefits system - that is asking for trouble! I'd just like to know how it recorded various entries and ended up with wrong values or added/deleted entries to cause a miscalculation.

I don't know if any links exist. I'm going on the testimony of the forensic accountants and some Fujitsu whistleblowers. As I understand it extensive materials have now been made available to the enquiry, I don't know if it's been made available to the public to link to.

Back