Post Office scandal

What's also concerning though is that they didn't do this in their own courts, they did this in the normal system. How does it happen that the normal checks and balances don't apply?
No CPS involvement for a start. It's not infallible but it's an extra level of check and balance

Can someone explain why this guy should stand down? He wasn't working there at the time, just seems performative to me. Am I missing something?
You may be right, but maybe dissatisfaction at the response under his watch? Although as Badenoch's the minister and she loves a bit of the old performative, you're probably right

Last edited:
So if it’s proven that PO knew and covered it up, and it’s looking likely that they did and that Vennells lied to Parliament - I assume that’s perjury and she can get charged with it.

But what else - if they did know about it and went ahead falsely, what crimes have been committed and who can be charged with them?

So if it’s proven that PO knew and covered it up, and it’s looking likely that they did and that Vennells lied to Parliament - I assume that’s perjury and she can get charged with it.

But what else - if they did know about it and went ahead falsely, what crimes have been committed and who can be charged with them?

I think a few PO investigation/prosecution people might be sweating Abuse of Process charges.

I think a few PO investigation/prosecution people might be sweating Abuse of Process charges.

Feels like conspiracy to pervert the course of justice isn't a stretch either. And it must be a criminal offence to force people to give you thousands of pounds of their own money to cover "losses" you know haven't happened and declare them as profits in your own bank account

This morning Badenoch claiming he resigned before he was sacked.
He was employed to do a job at the PO but wasn’t doing it, be interesting to know what the Government expected him to do.

Apparently there are many problems at the PO not just the Horizon/SPM compo issue.
She also claimed no one was interested in the scandal before the TV programme which is clearly bollox.

She attempted to claim the Government was ahead of the game with the compensation bill when it was clearly hurriedly introduced on the 29th November, the tv show was filmed in May and had been scheduled before the bill was introduced to Parliament.

This all smacks of cover up, the Government have had full oversight of the Horizon scandal and the actions of the PO board since at least March 2014, the Government hold the purse strings and have failed to seek an adequate solution until forced.

Last edited:
Possibly Perverting the Course of Justice and a nice spell at HM's pleasure.
He was employed to do a job at the PO but wasn’t doing it, be interesting to know what the Government expected him to do.

Apparently there are many problems at the PO not just the Horizon/SPM compo issue.
She also claimed no one was interested in the scandal before the TV programme which is clearly bollox.

She attempted to claim the Government was ahead of the game with the compensation bill when it was clearly hurriedly introduced on the 29th November, the tv show was filmed in May and had been scheduled before the bill was introduced to Parliament.

This all smacks of cover up, the Government have had full oversight of the Horizon scandal and the actions of the PO board since at least March 2014, the Government hold the purse strings and have failed to seek an adequate solution until forced.
Of course it is, they'll do anything to minimise any compensation, got to remember the more they pay in compensation, the less they have of our money to give to their mates. This will continue to drag on just like the compensation for haemophiliacs.

Last edited:

this thread alone has been going nearly 3 years, she's full of shit.

Badenoch referred to her conference speech in interviews with Phillips an Laura K. What her speech said was

‘ Scores of postmasters across Britain were wrongly convicted due to faulty software. Hardworking men and women endured unimaginable hardship, financial ruin, jail time. I was determined to right this wrong.

No amount of money can fully compensate for liberty unjustly taken away. But with the help of my business minister Kevin Hollinrake, last month we announced that every wrongfully convicted postmaster will receive £600,000 in compensation.’

This is only for those who have had their convictions overturned and £600,000 will not adequately compensate many including those who have been jailed, forced to pay money back to the PO, bankrupted and lost their businesses and homes.

The thousands who were not convicted or jailed but forced to pay money back can apply for different amounts of compensation if they can provide proof what they lost and that Horizon was to blame via the Horizon Shortfall Scheme.
Crazy stuff.

Badenoch referred to her conference speech in interviews with Phillips an Laura K. What her speech said was

‘ Scores of postmasters across Britain were wrongly convicted due to faulty software. Hardworking men and women endured unimaginable hardship, financial ruin, jail time. I was determined to right this wrong.

No amount of money can fully compensate for liberty unjustly taken away. But with the help of my business minister Kevin Hollinrake, last month we announced that every wrongfully convicted postmaster will receive £600,000 in compensation.’

This is only for those who have had their convictions overturned and £600,000 will not adequately compensate many including those who have been jailed, forced to pay money back to the PO, bankrupted and lost their businesses and homes.

The thousands who were not convicted or jailed but forced to pay money back can apply for different amounts of compensation if they can provide proof what they lost and that Horizon was to blame via the Horizon Shortfall Scheme.
Crazy stuff.
is the 600k tax free ?

Over the years I've understood boardroom remuneration packages are so big because of the responsibility and accountability of the positions.

Experience shows that prosecution is, mainly, for the middle/working classes. I hope I'm wrong but I expect the guilty in this scandal to slope off untouched.
Plus keep getting cushy highly paid jobs in the public sector.

Exempt from income tax and capital gains but some complaining bankruptcy caused by Horizon is taking some/all of the compensation.
They have to apply to the official receiver to get the bankruptcy annulled, no guarantee that it will be though.
If someone lost everything through this then £600,000 will come nowhere near recompensing them for what they have lost plus reparation for reputational damage and loss plus compensation for wrongful imprisonment in some cases. PO and Govt are going to drag this out.

If someone lost everything through this then £600,000 will come nowhere near recompensing them for what they have lost plus reparation for reputational damage and loss plus compensation for wrongful imprisonment in some cases. PO and Govt are going to drag this out.
Hoping that all the hoohaa will disappear once everyone has forgot about a silly little ITV drama

Back