Post Office scandal

Over the last few years, I've read a few stories about this, and how they devastated lives across the country.

IIRC, one poor woman was sent to prison whilst pregnant ffs.
Some have now died, and never got to hold their heads high again.

Hopefully they'll be very well compensated. Although you can't make up for it imo

Brilliant to see these folks getting their names cleared, unfortunately too late for some.
An absolute scandal that will cost the government a small fortune I guess

Convicted Post Office workers have names cleared
I can't understand why they thought that so many people were doing it.

Even if you only take the 39, who were accused of taking thousands, where was the money? Did their spending patterns change etc.

It was a right fuck up.

Shows what happens when those at the top of an organization have no idea what what the workers actually do, and then they invest all their faith in an IT system that ultimately is flawed. As always, those really responsible (Executives of the Post Office) will get off scot free and the shareholders pay the price of the huge compensation that is required. If the CE etc. went to jail, as that poor woman did, then perhaps things would change but I won't hold my breath.

I worked in RM when this started (and Horizon was launched). It was pretty obvious there was summat wrong from the outset. How could one organisation employ so many crooks, all without a blemish to their name previously?

Pretty shameful of the Post Office the way they've tried to bury it and didn't make any attempt to correct the software.

Even if you only take the 39, who were accused of taking thousands, where was the money? Did their spending patterns change etc.

It was a right fuck up.

That's the thing, the fact there was so many means it's highly unlikely that they were all on the take. It should have been thrown out right at the start & the PO forced to review the IT systems instead of ruining loads of lives.

I worked in RM when this started (and Horizon was launched). It was pretty obvious there was summat wrong from the outset. How could one organisation employ so many crooks, all without a blemish to their name previously?

Pretty shameful of the Post Office the way they've tried to bury it and didn't make any attempt to correct the software.
This is what I can`t understand. One or two dodgy people yes, but so many especially when a new IT system had been installed. Did they not stop to think it could be a software glitch rather than wholescale fraud???

That's the thing, the fact there was so many means it's highly unlikely that they were all on the take. It should have been thrown out right at the start & the PO forced to review the IT systems instead of ruining loads of lives.
736 charged in 14 years. Did not one person look and say had on this seems a bit strange. I've no doubt some do steal but the numbers must have spiked when they brought the system in.

Maybe I'm missing something.

It was a right fuck up.
Well said.

Its terrible; i cant imagine what these people must have gone through and its unbelievable that the Post office could not detect a pattern.

Compensation cannot bring back the time or the terror of being imprisoned.

This is what I can`t understand. One or two dodgy people yes, but so many especially when a new IT system had been installed. Did they not stop to think it could be a software glitch rather than wholescale fraud???

Its also imo a failing of the justice system as surely you'd look at this and think, nationwide this is going on in such high numbers and all the evidence literally the only evidence is some computer system. Surely to goodness you'd investigate if the software worked correctly??

In some cases you were talking a few thousand quid, hardly life changing amounts. A lot of these postmasters had much more than that to lose cos they were franchisees and sitting on a fairly saleable/valuable asset.

One of the faults with our judicial system is it's difficult to get a conviction overturned. It's an admission that the system has failed an the government/judiciary are loathe to admit that.

Its also imo a failing of the justice system as surely you'd look at this and think, nationwide this is going on in such high numbers and all the evidence literally the only evidence is some computer system. Surely to goodness you'd investigate if the software worked correctlly
736 charged in 14 years. Did not one person look and say had on this seems a bit strange. I've no doubt some do steal but the numbers must have spiked when they brought the system in.

Maybe I'm missing something.

Its bonkers. Both the PO and the courts. How was this allowed to go on? I assume PO paid someone to design and maintain the horizon system and they should be suing the arse off them, but also the way they chased the post masters not the IT nerds is shocking

Post office still ran by idiots
Norhings changed bar IT system
Knew at the time something wasn't right but they wouldn't have especially the field team as they were desperate to keep their jobs,which incidentally they've lost anyways

Back