Post a pic of your axe

It's a Mr Binh Guitar, he's based in Guitar Street in Saigon (HCMC).

It's his "replica" of a Taylor 618e. He's adding a pickup/tuner too. Artwork on Headstock is to my design, a Rennie Mackintosh rose.

Second guitar I've had from him. First was a Martin D45 replica he made for me when I was there on holiday last year.

I call them replicas and not copies as he uses the basic mechanics of the original then adds his luthier skills to make something Awesome. He doesn't try and pass them off as originals.

He makes brilliant guitars.

I'm a three chord strummer so they are way too good for me but I love the noise they make.

How much are they if you don’t mind me asking?

He has different prices depending on the quality of work to want.
The D45 I got last year was £350.
The new Taylor inspired is about £700 plus DHL from Vietnam to UK.

They are still great value. I took the first one to local guitar shop to make sure it was set up correctly and he reckoned it was comparable to a 2 grand guitar.

I'd be happy to show you it but as I'm in Lancashire it probably isn't so easy.

Anyone have any experience with a Taylor GS Mini or Big Baby?

Spent years playing rhythm guitar on and off and decided I wanted to get more into fingerpicking.

Just looking for an acoustic with low action and dont want to spend too much. Not especially looking for something small to make it easy to take out with me, its just that these 2 always seem to crop up when I search for ones I might like.

The new Sheeran Lowden’s are worth a look.

Depends what you mean by not spending too much.

They retail under a grand but are great guitars .

They use laminate back and sides which is unusual for George’s guitars but he has developed a new process for making this range.

They are quite plain also but definitely worth checking.

A friend has a baby Taylor and I suspect it’s a Friday afternoon guitar as it’s horrible and has loads of issues. Mind he refuses to get it sorted and has given up on it.

All the Taylors I have played are superb.

Anyone have any experience with a Taylor GS Mini or Big Baby?

Spent years playing rhythm guitar on and off and decided I wanted to get more into fingerpicking.

Just looking for an acoustic with low action and dont want to spend too much. Not especially looking for something small to make it easy to take out with me, its just that these 2 always seem to crop up when I search for ones I might like.

@Hank Silver is your man, he is involved in Auden guitars and may be able to sort you out with something decent. I personally think the GS Minis and Big Babys are OK but nothing more - you pay a premium for the name in my opinion and you are better looking elsewhere for you money (there are some superb Japanese acoustics about but not sure how easy they are to get in the UK, Eastman are also very good but not that cheap). I haven't played the Sheeran Lowden but the proper Lowdens are superb but way above my price range

Two overdrives in one chain?

I'd have had the tuner at the end to be honest.
2 overdrives and a fuzz now. Got rid of the Boss OD and replaced it with a tubescreamer. Big Muff fuzz. I’m not a fan of gain on amps so usually have the amp clean, use the blues driver as a gain and kick the tubescreamer in for solo sections

2 overdrives and a fuzz now. Got rid of the Boss OD and replaced it with a tubescreamer. Big Muff fuzz. I’m not a fan of gain on amps so usually have the amp clean, use the blues driver as a gain and kick the tubescreamer in for solo sections
How you finding that change?

I've got the SD-1. I got it as a boost for leads but it doesn't always do the job. I got Spark to try that as well - a little different colour but more of the same. I'll hoy them both on and it gets gnarly, but I don't think it gives the added decibels I'm after.

Also - whee's that in the avatar?

Last edited:

I've got the SD-1. I got it as a boost for leads but it doesn't always do the job. I got Spark to try that as well - a little different colour but more of the same. I'll hoy them both on and it gets gnarly, but I don't think it gives the added decibels I'm after.
It’s probably compressing too much.

Reducing dynamics and really you need more headroom.

Also - whee's that in the avatar?
It’s Hayley McQueen when she was younger. I still would lol

Back