Post a pic of your axe

How you finding that change?

I've got the SD-1. I got it as a boost for leads but it doesn't always do the job. I got Spark to try that as well - a little different colour but more of the same. I'll hoy them both on and it gets gnarly, but I don't think it gives the added decibels I'm after.

Also - whee's that in the avatar?
I’m loving the tubescreamer. I’m an 80s boy so have to resist the urge to have that and chorus permanently on

I try to leave plenty headroom on the amp. It's a funny thing - at the end of the day without toggling the volume control you can't boost a signal to create volume.
People seem to forget that guitars come with a conveniently located volume knob.

Buy the right amp and don’t just base your selection on wattage. Wind it on and use your volume knob to clean your tone for rhythm work and turn it up for lead breaks.

A lot of guitar players want a heavily distorted tone which kills dynamic range but hides flaws in their playing.

Play an acoustic and clean up your act.

People seem to forget that guitars come with a conveniently located volume knob.

Buy the right amp and don’t just base your selection on wattage. Wind it on and use your volume knob to clean your tone for rhythm work and turn it up for lead breaks.

A lot of guitar players want a heavily distorted tone which kills dynamic range but hides flaws in their playing.

Play an acoustic and clean up your act.
It's a lost art. I admit, I'm guilty of not using it enough myself. That said, in a live setting, which let's face it for most of us is a darkened pub with a set of lights right on top of you, playing a mix of loud rock covers, it's not the most convenient approach either.

It's a lost art. I admit, I'm guilty of not using it enough myself. That said, in a live setting, which let's face it for most of us is a darkened pub with a set of lights right on top of you, playing a mix of loud rock covers, it's not the most convenient approach either.
Especially if the other members of the band have never heard the word volume.

Drummers in particular!

Was going to treat myself to a trip to Guitar Village in Farnham after Christmas to buy a new acoustic. Covid going to put that on hold for a while now.... ☹

Just finished the final bit of modification on my Melody Maker yesterday, so far it's had new tuners, strap locks, new knob, tonepros bridge & changed the pickup last night, removed the stock Gibson 491T & installed a red DiMarzio DP100 super distortion, sounds great, not much Gibson left on it apart from the body & the pot 🤣( Paint job by Kev Bambra)

Just finished the final bit of modification on my Melody Maker yesterday, so far it's had new tuners, strap locks, new knob, tonepros bridge & changed the pickup last night, removed the stock Gibson 491T & installed a red DiMarzio DP100 super distortion, sounds great, not much Gibson left on it apart from the body & the pot 🤣( Paint job by Kev Bambra)
Nice paint job - Faceshredder Drummer IIRC

I dare not spend too much but I fancy a SG model. Does anyone have any experience of the Epiphone ones?. It's just to play along in the house with the Spark amp to ACDC and similar type music. My Tele just doesn't cut through. I know the junior Les Paul would do the job but that's at my mam's.

Last edited:
I dare not spend too much but I fancy a SG model. Does anyone have any experience of the Epiphone ones?. It's just to play along in the house with the Spark amp to ACDC and similar type music.
I've got an Epiphone SG 400 Pro, Cherry, and can't fault it. Had it a few years now, paid £250 at the time.
I also bought an older SG400 (Korean, Unsung factory) from ebay which I leave at the caravan. Again, can't fault it. That was £60, but needed new tuners and a clean up.
Even the SG special gets very good reviews.

Back