Podcast for Film Nerds

No, still on my watchlist

It's an amazing film. It manages to make you an observer and detaches you totally from any emotional involvement with the characters. The least arousing sex scenes ever. It is all surface and artifice, despite the very physical and kinetic nature of the plot. However, you do get to see Holly Hunter's minge. DaveyC *****

There's a nice rant on there I think you'll like
First, can I just say I thought that was really good. And you've sorted your sound issues out, not 100% but a lot lot better than it was early on.

Well done mate, a very enjoyable listen.

The fuck off bit was very funny, I did like that, getting the venom out! And what was it you said.. take your face for a shit? :lol:

And your critique of ghostbusters was interesting aswell, although I was surprised you didn't give a nod to Ghostbusters: Afterlife (I presume you've seen the trailer) because the bit where you described what "could have been" plotwise seems very similar to what the trailer for the new film seems to imply.

One thing I would pick you up on though is while your criticism of many of the trolls and that was completely valid, if you wanted to give an all round picture (you might want to be biased I'm not sure) I would have said something about the fact that the approach of just lets throw 4 women and a dumb male into a movie so intrinsically centered around... or haunted by ;) the original experience of 4 males is so lazy, I thought you were actually going to touch on it because you went to such great lengths explaining how lazy and haphazard the production of it was but didn't actually mention the fact that you can't just put women in movies and think that'll work, they need properly crafted stories.

Might be something for you to explore in future, what makes a great female or minority film

Anyway... overall, brilliant stuff, I'm actually gonna give episode 4 a listen over the weekend, it's on the ipod. Very good job fella.

Also a side tip, when you pause/catch yourself in between words you sound like your mouth is clasping, it happens a lot with a dry mouth after lots of talking. If drinking lots of water isn't doing the trick use a load of mouthwash, rinse your full mouth out properly with it before each time you go to record and it'll get your saliva glands going for longer.

Friendly advice - maybe put the name of one of the films you're covering in the title? That way if I've just watched - say - Punch Drunk Love - and want to listen to podcasts reviewing it after (which is pretty much what I always do) ...then your pod will come up in the search on itunes. As it is I tested it and it doesnt.
I would have thought this was the best way to build an audience.
Aside from that - good luck! Just subscribed today and will have a first listen on my next walk.

First, can I just say I thought that was really good. And you've sorted your sound issues out, not 100% but a lot lot better than it was early on.

The fuck off bit was very funny, I did like that, getting the venom out! And what was it you said.. take your face for a shit? :lol:

And your critique of ghostbusters was interesting aswell, although I was surprised you didn't give a nod to Ghostbusters: Afterlife (I presume you've seen the trailer) because the bit where you described what "could have been" plotwise seems very similar to what the trailer for the new film seems to imply.

One thing I would pick you up on though is while your criticism of many of the trolls and that was completely valid, if you wanted to give an all round picture (you might want to be biased I'm not sure) I would have said something about the fact that the approach of just lets throw 4 women and a dumb male into a movie so intrinsically centered around... or haunted by ;) the original experience of 4 males is so lazy, I thought you were actually going to touch on it because you went to such great lengths explaining how lazy and haphazard the production of it was but didn't actually mention the fact that you can't just put women in movies and think that'll work, they need properly crafted stories.

Might be something for you to explore in future, what makes a great female or minority film

Anyway... overall, brilliant stuff, I'm actually gonna give episode 4 a listen over the weekend, it's on the ipod. Very good job fella.

Also a side tip, when you pause/catch yourself in between words you sound like your mouth is clasping, it happens a lot with a dry mouth after lots of talking. If drinking lots of water isn't doing the trick use a load of mouthwash, rinse your full mouth out properly with it before each time you go to record and it'll get your saliva glands going for longer.

Thanks, I do appreciate the detailed feedback and advice.

In all honesty I think the main act of laziness was the not giving them a new story, more so than the changing characters from male to female. I agree women need properly crafted stories but the challenge for them is mainly that Hollywood doesn't do anything new. Basically the only opportunities are the occasional female superhero if Marvel or DC can be persuaded to do one. Otherwise it's seemingly endless remakes of Little Women and f***ing Charlie's Angels until the end of time. Perhaps with a reboot of Cagney and Lacey from time to time
Friendly advice - maybe put the name of one of the films you're covering in the title? That way if I've just watched - say - Punch Drunk Love - and want to listen to podcasts reviewing it after (which is pretty much what I always do) ...then your pod will come up in the search on itunes. As it is I tested it and it doesnt.
I would have thought this was the best way to build an audience.
Aside from that - good luck! Just subscribed today and will have a first listen on my next walk.

Thanks, I'll bear that in mind

As I watch a lot of b&w stuff it's interesting what you say about women in contemporary film. One of the reasons I love old films is due to the actresses. Something that doesn't translate for me in current film, as I find few film actresses appealing. And I feel bad about that. Can't think of a film I went to see recently because of a particular actress. Hmm.

Thanks, I do appreciate the detailed feedback and advice.

In all honesty I think the main act of laziness was the not giving them a new story, more so than the changing characters from male to female. I agree women need properly crafted stories but the challenge for them is mainly that Hollywood doesn't do anything new. Basically the only opportunities are the occasional female superhero if Marvel or DC can be persuaded to do one. Otherwise it's seemingly endless remakes of Little Women and f***ing Charlie's Angels until the end of time. Perhaps with a reboot of Cagney and Lacey from time to time

Thanks, I'll bear that in mind
Orh that's another point I've just remembered, your extensive list of shit remakes was brilliant.

Cos I was sat there trying to think of some and as you do.... when the pressure's on you can't and then you started saying them one after the other and I'd seen like 90% and I was going any minute now he's going to say one that was actually canny.... and you're right they were all well below par of the original.

I haven't seen the new charlie's angels but that flopped horrendously. And that's a naturally female storyline aswell. The early 2000's one was a success aswell iirc. Have you seen it?
As I watch a lot of b&w stuff it's interesting what you say about women in contemporary film. One of the reasons I love old films is due to the actresses. Something that doesn't translate for me in current film, as I find few film actresses appealing. And I feel bad about that. Can't think of a film I went to see recently because of a particular actress. Hmm.
What's b&w?

Black and white, mate. I'm mainly old school.
Oh right, well that's interesting. I honestly can't remember the last time I watched a full black and white movie... probably the great dictator.

So what do you find more interesting and compelling about female roles and the lasses who play them back in the day compared to now

Back