Podcast for Film Nerds

More film advice - don't watch How To Be A Girl or whatever that new Caitlin Moron film is called. It makes Sex Lives of the Potato Men look like 400 Blows and is beyond horrendous. It is easily the worst film I've ever seen in my life. What the fuck Paddy Consodine and Emma Thompson were doing in it is beyond me.

More film advice - don't watch How To Be A Girl or whatever that new Caitlin Moron film is called. It makes Sex Lives of the Potato Men look like 400 Blows and is beyond horrendous. It is easily the worst film I've ever seen in my life. What the fuck Paddy Consodine and Emma Thompson were doing in it is beyond me.
How to build a girl? Makes me want to see it. I find absolutely awful movies compelling viewing for some reason.

Oh right, well that's interesting. I honestly can't remember the last time I watched a full black and white movie... probably the great dictator.

So what do you find more interesting and compelling about female roles and the lasses who play them back in the day compared to now
Well here's who I tend to watch, and regardless of the content they are always watchable - Bette Davis, Joan Crawford, Barbara Stanwyck, Gloria Grahame, Ida Lupino and Gene Tierney. All strong actresses and all play roles where they are either the heroine or villain. I can highly recommend Leave Her To Heaven, a film noir with Gene T as a hideous character but which is unusually for noir, in colour and it's one of Martin Scorsese's favourite films.

Well here's who I tend to watch, and regardless of the content they are always watchable - Bette Davis, Joan Crawford, Barbara Stanwyck, Gloria Grahame, Ida Lupino and Gene Tierney. All strong actresses and all play roles where they are either the heroine or villain. I can highly recommend Leave Her To Heaven, a film noir with Gene T as a hideous character but which is unusually for noir, in colour and it's one of Martin Scorsese's favourite films.
And what about modern cinema or colour cinema?

Do you not think you get the same level of talent or same level of characters? How do you feel about it?

And what about modern cinema or colour cinema?

Do you not think you get the same level of talent or same level of characters? How do you feel about it?
Not female, I have to say. Not a fan of Nicole Kidman, Kiera Knightly, chick flicks or rom coms which is largely the lot of the contemporary actress. I admit to being fond of Ryan Gosling, Michael Fassbender, Tom Hardy and Benedict Cumberbatch however. 😃I'm a big Hitchcock fan, and like some Tarrantino and Wes Anderson stuff. I just like the style of old films, a witty or well written script too. Last film I saw in the cinema was Emma which was an excellent screenplay of the book and beautifully filmed and acted imo. Even with Miranda Hart in it!

Not female, I have to say. Not a fan of Nicole Kidman, Kiera Knightly, chick flicks or rom coms which is largely the lot of the contemporary actress. I admit to being fond of Ryan Gosling, Michael Fassbender, Tom Hardy and Benedict Cumberbatch however. 😃I'm a big Hitchcock fan, and like some Tarrantino and Wes Anderson stuff. I just like the style of old films, a witty or well written script too. Last film I saw in the cinema was Emma which was an excellent screenplay of the book and beautifully filmed and acted imo. Even with Miranda Hart in it!
Have you seen Atonement?

Have you seen Atonement?
Yes, in spite of KK. Romola Garai and Saoirse Ronan were very good. Very stylish, but not a film I'd often rewatch, for sure. I saw the recent David Copperfield film, full of excellent British actors, but it left me unmoved for some reason. Rather disappointed as I love Armando Iannucci/The Thick of it etc.

Yes, in spite of KK. Romola Garai and Saoirse Ronan were very good. Very stylish, but not a film I'd often rewatch, for sure. I saw the recent David Copperfield film, full of excellent British actors, but it left me unmoved for some reason. Rather disappointed as I love Armando Iannucci/The Thick of it etc.
Do you like shakespeare or dickens at all?

What about great expectations? Is that your sort of thing?

The worst film I've ever seen and at the apex of feminism gone too far. I'd happily help kill the massive woman character in it. Dreadful, offensive, unfunny garbage.
Offensive is a good word.

It's actually an insult to real feminism.

The idea that women would just go to the cinema to watch this shite just because it has a few "wacky" independent minded chicks in and a dumb hot guy.

Shocking.

Do you like shakespeare or dickens at all?

What about great expectations? Is that your sort of thing?
Yeah I've been a Shakespeare groupie in my time. Seen Patrick Stewart, Ian McKellen, Benedict Cumberbatch and David Tennant a fair few times on stage. Tennant is brilliant.
Great Expectations? Probably the best version is still the David Lean 1946 version. Dickens isn't my favourite author but his books lend themselves to film and tv adaptations rather well.

Yeah I've been a Shakespeare groupie in my time. Seen Patrick Stewart, Ian McKellen, Benedict Cumberbatch and David Tennant a fair few times on stage. Tennant is brilliant.
Great Expectations? Probably the best version is still the David Lean 1946 version. Dickens isn't my favourite author but his books lend themselves to film and tv adaptations rather well.
Have you seen the 2016 ghostbusters? :lol:

What about kill bill or charlie's angels?

Have you seen the 2016 ghostbusters? :lol:

What about kill bill or charlie's angels?
No I hate the original Ghostbusters - I can't get away with Bill Murray . Not impressed with the all female recast, everything I'd hate in one film. Loved Kill Bill, absolutely no way would I be watching Charlie's Angels!

No I hate the original Ghostbusters - I can't get away with Bill Murray . Not impressed with the all female recast, everything I'd hate in one film. Loved Kill Bill, absolutely no way would I be watching Charlie's Angels!
What about Alien/aliens? that float your boat at all?

What about Alien/aliens? that float your boat at all?
Actually just recently rewatched Alien which still works and yes, a good female lead. I'm not a huge Marvel fan but have even gone to the cinema to see XMen probably due to McKellen, Stewart and Fassbender, mind. I need to catch up with Picard too. Blade Runner - a yes from me.
I'm not just all about the classics, not big on contemporary American humour though, male or female.

Last edited:
Actually just recently rewatched Alien which still works and yes, a good female lead. I'm not a huge Marvel fan but have even gone to the cinema to see XMen probably due to McKellen, Stewart and Fassbender, mind. I need to catch up with Picard too. Blade Runner - a yes from me.
I'm not just all about the classics, not big on contemporary American humour though, male or female.
If you don't mind xmen movies can I recommend Logan. Amazing movie, possibly the best superhero movie there is.

The new blade runner was good apparently, I haven't seen it but our lass has, she's a huge harrison ford fan.

On alien... I saw this recently and it made me chuckle. I think someone posted it on here.

It was a film critic saying he'd just got his wife to watch alien for the first time and give her thoughts... she put all of his previous reviews to shame.

"Alien is a movie where nobody listens to the smart woman, and then they all die except for the smart woman and her cat. Four stars."

If you don't mind xmen movies can I recommend Logan. Amazing movie, possibly the best superhero movie there is.

The new blade runner was good apparently, I haven't seen it but our lass has, she's a huge harrison ford fan.

On alien... I saw this recently and it made me chuckle. I think someone posted it on here.

It was a film critic saying he'd just got his wife to watch alien for the first time and give her thoughts... she put all of his previous reviews to shame.

"Alien is a movie where nobody listens to the smart woman, and then they all die except for the smart woman and her cat. Four stars."
That's excellent. I can confirm all I cared about was the cat, then the woman. In that order.
Oh I've seen Logan. Come on, Patrick Stewart AND Hugh Jackman? Agreed it was excellent and much darker.
Blade Runner 2049 I also loved. It got a lot of criticism but apart from Jared Leto's performance it was excellent for me. It looked fantastic as well. I watched it almost alone upstairs in the Tyneside cinema one afternoon (no one would come with me!). Just me and a bottle of wine.

That's excellent. I can confirm all I cared about was the cat, then the woman. In that order.
Oh I've seen Logan. Come on, Patrick Stewart AND Hugh Jackman? Agreed it was excellent and much darker.
Blade Runner 2049 I also loved. It got a lot of criticism but apart from Jared Leto's performance it was excellent for me. It looked fantastic as well. I watched it almost alone upstairs in the Tyneside cinema one afternoon (no one would come with me!). Just me and a bottle of wine.
I'm trying to think of a film I could recommend you might like but won't have seen.

Have you seen The Prestige?

I'm trying to think of a film I could recommend you might like but won't have seen.

Have you seen The Prestige?
Yep. 😀 Really liked it. Also Inception, though it's been a while since I saw it. Haven't read much about Tenet, but it's bound to divide opinion.

Back