Podcast for Film Nerds

What's the subject? Anything on Christmas films? If you piss all over It's A Wonderful Life I won't be amused. 😃

We briefly touch on Christmas films, very complimentary about It's a Wonderful Life - in passing, the main point is why Die Hard is a Christmas film and Lethal Weapon isn't.

Topics this month:

The news including Warner's streaming strategy for next year;

My son finally getting around to watching an old classic - the Blues Brothers

A hidden gem, Danny Boyle's underrated sci fi film Sunshine

The One That Got Away - why Kathryn Bigelow's Joan of Arc film didn't happen (and why Luc Besson's shit version happened instead)

Remake Hatewatch - the Coen Brothers' terrible version of The Ladykillers

A long chat about MCU phases 4 and 5

We briefly touch on Christmas films, very complimentary about It's a Wonderful Life - in passing, the main point is why Die Hard is a Christmas film and Lethal Weapon isn't.

Topics this month:

The news including Warner's streaming strategy for next year;

My son finally getting around to watching an old classic - the Blues Brothers

A hidden gem, Danny Boyle's underrated sci fi film Sunshine

The One That Got Away - why Kathryn Bigelow's Joan of Arc film didn't happen (and why Luc Besson's shit version happened instead)

Remake Hatewatch - the Coen Brothers' terrible version of The Ladykillers

A long chat about MCU phases 4 and 5
Cheers. Die Hard deffo a Christmas film.

Blues Brothers I have to admit I dont 'get'. Never watched the whole film and file it with Dirty Dancing as films I'll never try again.

Sunshine - agreed, good film with Cillian pre-Peaky Murphy.

As for Ladykillers remake, the trailers were enough for me.

Doesn't Hanks even try comedy teeth like Guinness?The star of the original was Katie Johnson for me. She was originally thought to be too old, so they cast another actress who was younger, but who died before filming.

The little old lady is the best thing about this version as well. Unfortunately that's rather like there being a small diamond somewhere in a bathtub full of shit

Episode 10 of the Double Reel Film Podcast is out now, with features on The White Tiger, Dark Star and its influence on modern sci fi, CSA The Confederate States of America, One Night in Miami, Spike Lee's unrealised Joe Louis project, the Steve Martin Pink Panther remake, and Toxic Fandom

Recording the next podcast episode this week, talking about Hell or High Water, Dark City (and how it influenced the Matrix), John Carpenter's Prince of Darkness, how Hollywood tried and failed to do a film version of Neil Gaiman's Sandman, Remake Hatewatch of the new RoboCop film and whether TV is better than films these days. If you want to have your say on any of those topics just drop me a line :cool:

This month for the podcast I watched Fight Club, The Fog, Seven Samurai, Spike Lee's Summer of Sam and a shitload of crap Disney live action remakes. My lad also watched a couple of good documentaries, Sherpa and Seaspiracy. We also talked about Ridley Scott's unrealised Tripoli project and the future of CGI in films.

The podcast is out now for anyone who wants a listen - episode 12.

Or on Spotify, Apple podcasts and all the usual platforms

will give it a listen mate, sounds like good format.. be interesting to listen to you talk about Dark Star... I just didnt 'get' it when i tried watching it the other month, but be good to hear other perspectives (hardly anyone i know has seen it)

Episode 13 of the Double Reel Film Podcast is out now, featuring: Sound of Metal, Mosul, why WW84 is shite, The Color of Money, Starman, Intouchables vs its shite remake The Upside, The Damned United, David Lean's unrealised Nostromo project, and tmThe Films That Changed Our Lives.

Episode 16 is out now, featuring: Reviews of new releases The Suicide Squad and Black Widow; The Year of the Carpenter - They Live; Classic - Walk The Line; Hidden Gem Forgotten; The One That Got Away - Tony Scott's Potsdamer Platz; Remake Hatewatch - The Hitcher; Big Conversation: Films from the year you were born.

Episode 18, Reel 1: The Suicide Squad, Black Widow, Forgotten, Walk The Line, Hitcher Remake by Double Reel • A podcast on Anchor

FAO @errant we will be doing My Cousin Vinny next month.

New ghostbusters trailer could be worth a mention in your next one if you want to get some hits. They might have turned around the tanker that was the last load of shite film.
@Cockney Mackem are you still doing these?

I've listened and it's good stuff, I appreciate your opinions and I've watched a couple of things that I probably ordinarily would not have and they were class.

Anyway, I've just watched The Lighthouse (Robert Pattinson and Willem Dafoe). It's batshit crazy and I'd be interested to hear what you think of it.
Wanted to see that at the cinema but don’t think it ever got a release. Would you recommend it? Looks mental

New ghostbusters trailer could be worth a mention in your next one if you want to get some hits. They might have turned around the tanker that was the last load of shite film.

Wanted to see that at the cinema but don’t think it ever got a release. Would you recommend it? Looks mental
It is mental. Nothing like anything I've seen before. For that reason it's definitely worth a watch.

Back