Player Club Moves For 2019

That wont be far off with South North when you look at the make up of the side a lot of the players are very successful away from cricket, partners at law firms etc and have turned down the chance to play cricket at a higher level as a consequence of this. Given they dont need the extra pocket money they'd rather play in a successful side with the opportunities to play in National Finals / win leagues. Well run club worth millions (accounts are published online) and the right people round them who can invest it - its a business as opposed to a local cricket club and in reality its very difficult to compete with them. However that doesnt mean you cant try ! Newcastle pushed them last season, Stockton won it the year before and Chester are generally there or there abouts.

In terms of money paid out I suspect division one pays out more than the top league, you see a lot less movement of players between clubs in the top division, to a lot of players the money is secondary to the enjoyment they get out of testing themselves at the highest level they can play at. Very few players jump ship for an extra £300 a season, a lot of players get offers of a couple of grand to play in lower leagues but would rather play for nothing or a lot less in the top league.

I always thought it was the other way round in local cricket up here, players would rather earn more playing a lower standard than earn less playing at a higher one.

I always thought it was the other way round in local cricket up here, players would rather earn more playing a lower standard than earn less playing at a higher one.

Think you've just got two different types of players mate. You've got the ones who want to play at the highest level they can and those who will play below themselves to earn a couple of quid.

I am a big fan of local cricket, watching DCL, NEPL and, occasionally NYSD.
I see players in DCL, allegedly getting lots of money that are not a patch on players in the "higher" leagues, who pay to play.
The biggest joke are the clubs who "pay" players to avoid relegation or others "paying" several players to finish mid table.....ridiculous !

there are a few names you expect to see season after season when it comes to moving clubs, I doubt next season will disappoint

You see better 2nd teamers around some clubs, than those getting paid elsewhere. Suppose it comes with the territory in a pyramid though, we can't have it all ways.

the amount of stories you hear of people being paid who are of poor standard is shocking. Why do clubs waste money?

This is the problem - clubs paying for players who don't deserve it. Some clubs in leagues throughout the country think they are playing for the Town Hall clock - they are not.

Don't particularly agree with clubs paying players but some clubs need to pay to attract players just to keep existing, juniors leave the game early because of other attractions

Don't particularly agree with clubs paying players but some clubs need to pay to attract players just to keep existing, juniors leave the game early because of other attractions
I accept it’s difficult. Perhaps those clubs could pay people to coach juniors as well as play to try and ensure a sustainable future.

What annoys me is clubs paying average players and not giving some of their more talented youngsters (who potentially could be as good) a shot in the first team.

In football, clubs from say the championship buy overseas players to try achieve the hallowed Premier league status, leaving youngsters to rot in the reserves. To an extent (although on the smaller scale), the NEPL has created a similar situation in local cricket. Some NEPL1 and DCL clubs are spending fortunes and achieving nothing more than mid table mediocrity.

I accept it’s difficult. Perhaps those clubs could pay people to coach juniors as well as play to try and ensure a sustainable future.

What annoys me is clubs paying average players and not giving some of their more talented youngsters (who potentially could be as good) a shot in the first team.

In football, clubs from say the championship buy overseas players to try achieve the hallowed Premier league status, leaving youngsters to rot in the reserves. To an extent (although on the smaller scale), the NEPL has created a similar situation in local cricket. Some NEPL1 and DCL clubs are spending fortunes and achieving nothing more than mid table mediocrity.

Same principle.

LoB spot on - division 1 and other leagues such as NYSD will be paying out more across the board than the NEPL premier I would think - clubs have the ambition to get into the top league still and choose to spend their money on players that they believe will help get them there. Unfortunately at times this can be detrimental to the club - Brandon the obvious, immediate example who could have been competitive on the pitch in the top league but unfortunately have struggled to organise themselves off it.

As for South North, as BatEleven says - they have some of the best players in the region playing for nothing there for various reasons; the two best NEPL batters (Graham and Birtwisle) and the leagues best bowler (Crozier) take nothing between them as far as I know - there are many, many far worse cricketers getting paid ridiculous sums of money that those guys could easily be pocketing each summer but the attraction of the South North facilities and winning the league/national titles is far more appealing to them (which is a massive credit to them all).

Alistair Appleby back to Newcastle from Barnard Castle - he has a lot of runs to score and wickets to take to replace those they’ve lost already.

Agree about winning things, but can’t believe facilities matter mind. Horden were a great team in 90’s but u got foot and mouth from them changing rooms, only kidding. At the start of nepl I was told they were paying over £15k for 1 player so to spend less than £10k now is a massive change in policy but fair play to them

Back