Player Club Moves For 2019

If it comes to a club vote they’ll end up in DCL2. No way the DCL1 clubs will vote to have them in 1.
Do not think it will come to a club vote. A new club would start in DCL2.
Stockton have applied to NYSD in 2020. At the moment, they will start in Div 3 like Norton did before them.

Stockton have applied to NYSD in 2020. At the moment, they will start in Div 3 like Norton did before them.
It was my opinion that they were 'relegated' for not meeting league rules therefore if that is the case, they should go into the next league and division down in the pyramid i.e. DCL1.

If it's deemed that they are a 'new club' then technically they should start at the bottom of the pyramid i.e. NEDL.

Just what I’ve been led to believe from someone a little more in the know than me.

Just getting ridiculous now, no point playing as know who is going to win the league already!!
Totally agree

Getting like premier league football. Guess someone could do a Leicester but becomes more and more unlikely every year. Cant knock those teams but they are blessed by locations (for raising money)money in bank etc. Could league enforce a ffp model, maybe a step too far and impossible to police mind

Totally agree

Getting like premier league football. Guess someone could do a Leicester but becomes more and more unlikely every year. Cant knock those teams but they are blessed by locations (for raising money)money in bank etc. Could league enforce a ffp model, maybe a step too far and impossible to police mind

League can’t even ensure every club has their own ground let alone manage a financial fair play system.

There would be clubs far less successful than South North in breech of financial fair play in the NE anyway.

Being CASC registered, South North will only be able to pay a maximum of 10k per year for players. In the 2018 season, I reckon South North would be in the bottom half of a 'money paid to cricketers' table.

It definitely isn't "getting like premier league football". There's a reason why they can attract players and that's because they're well ran with great facilities. A FFP model wouldn't work either as South North, as you alluded to, are able to raise massive amounts of money year on year. Always tends to be a little bit of jealousy surrounding their success but ultimately it's up to everyone else to up their game both on and off the field.

Being CASC registered, South North will only be able to pay a maximum of 10k per year for players. In the 2018 season, I reckon South North would be in the bottom half of a 'money paid to cricketers' table.

It definitely isn't "getting like premier league football". There's a reason why they can attract players and that's because they're well ran with great facilities. A FFP model wouldn't work either as South North, as you alluded to, are able to raise massive amounts of money year on year. Always tends to be a little bit of jealousy surrounding their success but ultimately it's up to everyone else to up their game both on and off the field.
So you reckon South North spend less than 10k per year on players?

So you reckon South North spend less than 10k per year on players?

Looking at next season it would be difficult to suggest that, but the team that has just won the NEPL doesn't contain many paid players from what I can see. I also believe the reason Humble left was because they reduced their budget. They're also in the fortunate position of having a lot of top cricketers that play cricket without the need to be paid mind.

So let's get this straight players go there for the facilities!,

Most of the players they sign are from clubs with very good facilities, anyway!!i.e players in their own league.

You have to have good facilities to get in that league it's well documented.

It's definitely getting like the premier league in fact it's worse it's like the Scottish premier league with one team certain to win it before the season starts!

When they signed Birtwistle from Chester the other year the writing was on the wall.

When you sign the best players from your nearest rivals it just means less competiveness full stop!

Last edited:
The top teams may already do this, but what if there was a league rule that 4 of the starting x1 in Nepl must have played junior cricket for that club. It might help to even things up and if nothing else ensure that investment in juniors continues. Could just leading to poaching 16 year olds from other clubs mind on the downside

So let's get this straight players go there for the facilities!,

Most of the players they sign are from clubs with very good facilities, anyway!!i.e players in their own league.

You have to have good facilities to get in that league it's well documented.

It's definitely getting like the premier league in fact it's worse it's like the Scottish premier league with one team certain to win it before the season starts!

When they signed Birtwistle from Chester the other year the writing was on the wall.

When you sign the best players from your nearest rivals it just means less competiveness full stop!

You've gave the best example. Birtwisle, a player who plays for free as he doesn't need the money, was looking for a club closer to home (he lives suburbs of Newcastle I believe). He ended at South North because, well they're South North. Lovely club with plenty opportunity to win things.

You've gave the best example. Birtwisle, a player who plays for free as he doesn't need the money, was looking for a club closer to home (he lives suburbs of Newcastle I believe). He ended at South North because, well they're South North. Lovely club with plenty opportunity to win things.

So does that make the league less competitive when one of the best players from the second best team signs for the best team who win the league almost every year anyway?

That wont be far off with South North when you look at the make up of the side a lot of the players are very successful away from cricket, partners at law firms etc and have turned down the chance to play cricket at a higher level as a consequence of this. Given they dont need the extra pocket money they'd rather play in a successful side with the opportunities to play in National Finals / win leagues. Well run club worth millions (accounts are published online) and the right people round them who can invest it - its a business as opposed to a local cricket club and in reality its very difficult to compete with them. However that doesnt mean you cant try ! Newcastle pushed them last season, Stockton won it the year before and Chester are generally there or there abouts.

In terms of money paid out I suspect division one pays out more than the top league, you see a lot less movement of players between clubs in the top division, to a lot of players the money is secondary to the enjoyment they get out of testing themselves at the highest level they can play at. Very few players jump ship for an extra £300 a season, a lot of players get offers of a couple of grand to play in lower leagues but would rather play for nothing or a lot less in the top league.

Back