Plane Crash in Horden/Easington?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MY dad saw the 2 lads killed in the bus shelter as he was leaving the betting shop next to the Trust she said it was one of the worst things he ever seen.He also said he was the man who saved Easington pit from been blown up when he caught a 100 kg bomb dropping down the the shaft then hoying it back up and blowing up the heinkel that dropped it,daft as a brush was old Ralphy.

The only other thing I wanted to mention is that as ald I noticed that there was what looks like a bomb crater in the field behind Grants Houses and always had me thinking if was caused during the war, if you go on google earth you can still see it between the right hand end of grants houses and the railway line, its in a field

More likely caused by subsidence.

Shocked by plane crash sight
Published on Tuesday 31 May 2005 11:19

A COUPLE got the shock of their lives when they watched a plane crash into a field near their home.

John and Sheila Ingledew were relaxing with a cup of coffee when they heard a noise they say sounded like a stock car.

John, a farm hand at Hulam Farm, south of Castle Eden and on the outskirts of Hartlepool, ran outside and saw a two-seater light aircraft plummeting to the ground.

The 52-year-old said: "It was like something out a war film. I thought somebody was going to die."

The sight sent Sheila, 36, into a panic and she ran to call 999.

Meanwhile, the plane crashed into a field at 6.20pm on Sunday, just 300 yards from their house and flipped on to its roof.

The aircraft suffered engine failure, forcing its pilots to perform an emergency landing.

Its two pilots, Bill Goldsmith, 51, from Boldon, Tyne and Wear and Phil Taite, 44, from Stockton, only sustained injuries to their hands, and walked out of the wreckage, as reported in yesterday's Mail.

John said: "They are very lucky to be alive. I was worried it was going to blow up.

"They climbed out of the plane and were very shocked and shaken and there was blood all over them.

"We took them back to the house and gave them a cup of tea while we waited for the ambulance to arrive."

Although John has worked on the farm for over 20 years, he and Sheila have only been in the house three years.

Sheila, a shop assistant in Kwik Save in Durham City, said: "It is the strangest thing that has happened since we've been here. I really thought someone was going to die, but thankfully they are both fine."

Published on Monday 1 September 2008 11:14

TWO pensioners escaped without serious injuries after their plane crash landed.

The aircraft flipped over on Morgansfield airstrip in Garmondsway, near Fishburn as the men came in to land.

Emergency services rushed to the scene shortly before 4pm on Saturday and the pilot, a man in his mid 70s, was rushed to hospital by air ambulance.

The casualty, who was from Inverness in Scotland, suffered neck injuries, although police say his condition was not life-threatening.

The co-pilot, a man in his early 60s, from Nairn in Scotland, was also taken to the University Hospital of North Tees, where he was treated for minor injuries and was later released.

A Durham police spokesman said: "A two-seater light aircraft made an approach to land on the airstrip. However, on landing the aircraft has flipped over.

"The pilot has sustained injuries which are described as not life threatening and was taken by air ambulance to the University Hospital of North Tees."

Crews from Spennymoor and Sedgefield fire stations helped paramedics before making the plane safe.

An eye witness at the scene said: "There was a lot of firemen and a plane lying on its head. The pilot was already gone. There was another man in the plane who had a cut on his head and was in a state of shock. He was the co-pilot.

"They were very lucky. How they got out I don't know."

The Civil Aviation Authority will be investigating the incident.

Found it, I said earlier they had been a plane crash at Hart

Published on Tuesday 11 May 2010 16:52

THERE was wreckage for a quarter of a mile.

It was the day that Hartlepool became the scene of a plane crash.

Eye-witnesses spotted the RAF Javelin as it climbed vertically over the Broomhill housing estate and then went into a dive which it seemed unable to pull out of.

The plane, which had just collided with another similar plane, crashed into a field near Hart and wreckage was found at High Throston.

Land, sea and air services went into action in an area covering from Hartlepool to Seaham Harbour after reports that two aircraft had collided.

One crew was reported safe while the other was thought to have baled into the sea.

One eye-witness was a 12-year-old boy who said he saw the plane skim about 20ft above his home in West View, and added at the time: "I looked up and saw that the cockpit was open. I could not see anyone in the pilot's cabin.

"I watched as it roared over the rooftops and I saw it fade into the distance. Then I heard a crash."

The pilot, Flight Lieutenant David Wyborn, 28, and his navigator, Flight Lieutenant Derek Clark, both landed safely near High Hesleden.

Within hours, sightseers had jammed the roads to the wreckage site and the Northern Daily Mail reported that there were so many cars and motor cycles, fire engines were reduced to a crawl.

Hundreds of spectators were reported and a farmer in the area said that there were people walking eight or 10 abreast through a field of corn.

Eight or nine acres of barley and oats were burnt out when the plane blew up, said the farmer.

To share your memories of Hartlepool contact Tom Collins at Memory Lane, New Clarence House, Wesley Square, Hartlepool TS24 8BX or email [email protected]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back