Plane Crash in Horden/Easington?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also:

"The crash was a fatal collision involving two fighter aircraft in a practice dogfight over Stanley on April 12, 1942.

Both MkI Hawker Hurricanes were from No 55 Operational Training Unit RAF Usworth.

Hurricane AF968 crashed at or near to New Acres Farm killing Sgt Harold Mills (21).

The other aircraft, Hurricane V6798, crashed between South Moor and Stanleyburn Farm killing Sgt Keith Stanley Cornwell (19).

In the 1960s, New Acres was opencast mined and Hurricane AF968’s engine was recovered."

Also:

"The crash was a fatal collision involving two fighter aircraft in a practice dogfight over Stanley on April 12, 1942.

Both MkI Hawker Hurricanes were from No 55 Operational Training Unit RAF Usworth.

Hurricane AF968 crashed at or near to New Acres Farm killing Sgt Harold Mills (21).

The other aircraft, Hurricane V6798, crashed between South Moor and Stanleyburn Farm killing Sgt Keith Stanley Cornwell (19).

In the 1960s, New Acres was opencast mined and Hurricane AF968’s engine was recovered."

Any news on the Horden/Easington crash from the op at all?

Hi Wendy I think this is what your mother was referring to:-
On Friday 15th October 1941 the Durham Chronicle ran the following headline, “Miners Bombed in Colliery Yard 1 Dead” it then went on to describe the damage to the lamp cabin, various plant and the colliery office, which had occurred two days previously on Wednesday 13th. For reasons of wartime security the name of the colliery was omitted. However I’m sure this event occurred at Horden because for many years a nose cone of a bomb (approx 12 inches in diameter) was on display in the offices and the accompanying story was that it was from the raid in which a miner had been killed and many injured. At about this time, (I think it may have been the same raid), a miner was reported to have been killed by machine gun fire outside the Trust public house in Easington which is hardly more than a mile away.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Didnt the Trust used to be just along from Grants Houses?

Hi Wendy I think this is what your mother was referring to:-
On Friday 15th October 1941 the Durham Chronicle ran the following headline, “Miners Bombed in Colliery Yard 1 Dead” it then went on to describe the damage to the lamp cabin, various plant and the colliery office, which had occurred two days previously on Wednesday 13th. For reasons of wartime security the name of the colliery was omitted. However I’m sure this event occurred at Horden because for many years a nose cone of a bomb (approx 12 inches in diameter) was on display in the offices and the accompanying story was that it was from the raid in which a miner had been killed and many injured. At about this time, (I think it may have been the same raid), a miner was reported to have been killed by machine gun fire outside the Trust public house in Easington which is hardly more than a mile away.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Didnt the Trust used to be just along from Grants Houses?

Erm aye :lol:

Has the old lad got mixed up do you think Spug?, mind Im enjoying the thread like, I love owt like this.

Im going the National Arboretum in July

No that incident happened when he was a kid at the trust as the bullet holes where still there until the trust was pulled down. That story on that forum is correct mind but this plane coming down was post war. As I said about 1950.

I'd be surprised if it didn't happen tbh because this reason for telling me was we were talking about the first time he seen someone killed which tbh would have been the first of many what happened later when he was in the army.

The only other thing I wanted to mention is that as ald I noticed that there was what looks like a bomb crater in the field behind Grants Houses and always had me thinking if was caused during the war, if you go on google earth you can still see it between the right hand end of grants houses and the railway line, its in a field

someone killed outside the trust with a sub machine gun?

fuckin hell..we've come full, circle...

spug, you sure this isn't what you were on about last night? ;)

Was in school (Wellfield) at the time when the plane came down in Wingate/Station town and remember seeing it on fire through the windows, whole class jumped up and rushed to the windows to look with the teacher shouting "sit down everyone". Once in a lifetime opportunity to see a plane crash and he thought we were going to sit down.

Was in school (Wellfield) at the time when the plane came down in Wingate/Station town and remember seeing it on fire through the windows, whole class jumped up and rushed to the windows to look with the teacher shouting "sit down everyone". Once in a lifetime opportunity to see a plane crash and he thought we were going to sit down.

AJ Dawsons mate

someone killed outside the trust with a sub machine gun?

fuckin hell..we've come full, circle...

spug, you sure this isn't what you were on about last night? ;)

Famous Easington story that marra and I can't believe they pulled the wall down with all the f***ing bullet holes in it. It looked class :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back