Plane Crash in Horden/Easington?

Status
Not open for further replies.

I was 9 at the time and saw it from East Rainton junior school playground. It would be interesting to know the trajectory it followed because Wingate is only a few mile south but I seem to remember it appearing so small that it couldnt have been directly overhead

I always remember a Vulcan flanked by two jet fighters, probably Lightnings, flying low over Roker Park during a match in the late 60's at the height of the cold war. They passed along the length of the pitch from Roker End to Fulwell End, coming towards us. The crowd went very quiet until they passed. Very eerie.

Don't recall the Wingate crash though.

Comprehensive and very interesting read and report
It's a canny read, if a bit on the long side! The Vulcan is a bit of an obsession like, first remember seeing one as a bairn at the old Seaham show when one flew over. Incredible site and sound.

This is the only picture I can find online of XM610 that came down in Wingate that day..

http://www.avrovulcan.org.uk/michael_slorance/XM610.htm

I always remember a Vulcan flanked by two jet fighters, probably Lightnings, flying low over Roker Park during a match in the late 60's at the height of the cold war. They passed along the length of the pitch from Roker End to Fulwell End, coming towards us. The crowd went very quiet until they passed. Very eerie.

Don't recall the Wingate crash though.
Logon or register to see this image

:cool:

Last edited:
I remember seeing this fly over my school, Easington Colliery Secondary Modern, at low level with a trail of smoke behind it. Remember being in a maths class when everyone rushed to the windows.

They passed along the length of the pitch from Roker End to Fulwell End, coming towards us. The crowd went very quiet until they passed.
Slower than Gibson?

I remember seeing this fly over my school, Easington Colliery Secondary Modern, at low level with a trail of smoke behind it. Remember being in a maths class when everyone rushed to the windows.
A banned poster from Peterlee has just contacted me to say that this is just a conspiracy theory and never happened - it was just a Chemistry experiment in the lab next door that went wrong. He says you have to prove he is wrong.

Last edited:
I was playing footie in a field in Ferryhill with a lad from up my street. I remember seeing it go over in flames, looking as if it was going to crash. We didn't see anything after that (too far away). Good to read the details.

I was in school at Wellfield, saw it going past with flames coming out of the back. Teacher was saying sit down all the class up at window trying to see what was happening. That afternoon after school loads of lads going round the fields trying to find bits that had fallen off. There were vans going round for a few days after with tannoys on the top asking people to hand in any parts they found.

I was in school at Wellfield, saw it going past with flames coming out of the back. Teacher was saying sit down all the class up at window trying to see what was happening. That afternoon after school loads of lads going round the fields trying to find bits that had fallen off. There were vans going round for a few days after with tannoys on the top asking people to hand in any parts they found.
Reading that report, you were very lucky if you were at school :eek:

Any photos kicking about?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back