Phil Parkinson - Is he really that bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I totally agree ,this appointment was all about finance.The lad Parkinson would have been the cheapest inexpensive appointment of those particular candidates.
Stendel was literally sacked the day before we sacked Ross and would’ve been a better appointment for us in my view.

As I can only presume the more obvious candidates including Stendel would’ve wanted more in wages, the appointment of Parkinson was literally a race to the bottom in terms who was cheapest to get in.

No I think he's better than Ross in that he appears to have a plan. The current issue is the distinct lack of quality in the squad to execute it.

He must be a bit dense if he is trying to execute a plan in public with players that are not up to meeting that agenda.

p.s. There is no evidence of a plan

If it was all about money why give him a 2.5 year contract. I don’t think it was about money in all honesty. I think Donald, Hill and Coton are just unbelievably inept.

Stendel was literally sacked the day before we sacked Ross and would’ve been a better appointment for us in my view.

As I can only presume the more obvious candidates including Stendel would’ve wanted more in wages, the appointment of Parkinson was literally a race to the bottom in terms who was cheapest to get in.
Stendel walked because the board sold his best players from under him, Parkinson continued at Bolton without a peep even while there was a mass exodus of unpaid players. Both managers would probably have commanded roughly the same wage.

Which one do you think is more likely to fit the bill of not pointing fingers at a penniless boardroom when things go south?

People are slating the appointment because his record overall in 16 years of management is woeful. And that looks like continuing here. His glass ceiling is scrabbling you avoid relegation from the championship. I hope you’re f***ing happy.
Nice bump

Obviously I'm chuffed we are doing shit at the minute, I hope you bump this again at the end of the season if he ends up doing well

Stendel was my initial first choice from the candidates on offer but there wasn't much between them and I read that he continued to live in Germany when he was Barnsley boss and flew home every week.
I doubt Ainsworth would have wanted to move up North.
Parkinson lives in North Yorkshire, doesn't need to move so is showing no more commitment than the other candidates but with not a lot between them it's possible I'd have been persuaded to go with Parkinson purely based on geography.

He must be a bit dense if he is trying to execute a plan in public with players that are not up to meeting that agenda.

p.s. There is no evidence of a plan

I disagree, but that's the beauty of this forum. It's full opinions, which like arseholes, everyone has and they often differ ;)

Blokes out of his depth, brought in because he does stuff on a shoestring budget, nothing else. Overall win ratio through this career isn’t great, but he did get Bradford to a league cup final so we should count ourselves lucky he chose us.

I'll reserve judgement until he has managed 10-12 league games.

The fact that fans still jump straight to the manager as the main culprit, time and time again, baffles me.

Nice bump

Obviously I'm chuffed we are doing shit at the minute, I hope you bump this again at the end of the season if he ends up doing well
It was bumped previously mate. Sorry, but no time for apologists over this appointment. I’ll be very very happy to be proved wrong though...

The fact that fans still jump straight to the manager as the main culprit, time and time again, baffles me.
That'll take him up to 4/1/20, so he still won't have had time to do anything in the transfer market. By then he could've completely lost the fans and the players. I'm looking for signs that he's learning things about our current crop in the interim and I'm not seeing a lot so far. It's starting to look like a very tough job.

That'll take him up to 4/1/20, so he still won't have had time to do anything in the transfer market. By then he could've completely lost the fans and the players. I'm looking for signs that he's learning things about our current crop in the interim and I'm not seeing a lot so far. It's starting to look like a very tough job.

He needs to show signs that he can be trusted with funds really. If things continue as they are, he may have to go.

In fairness, he's had 2 games a week since he arrived. No time on the training pitch.

Phil Parkinson should be nowhere near a big club like yours, he was by far and away the worst manager we (Bolton) have ever had, his hoofball was painful to watch, and his excuses after each defeat got more and more comical by the week, just wait until he starts pointing out how much the oppositions striker cost, or they had a world beater coming off the bench, and expect Madine joining you in January as a target man for his tried and failed hoofball, clueless and inept doesn't even begin to describe that clown.

Agree. Not defending PP, but our squad (no matter what anyone thinks) is good enough to get out of this league and they're professionals, they ought to have the commitment to play for the shirt irrespective of who the manager is.

Phil Parkinson should be nowhere near a big club like yours, he was by far and away the worst manager we (Bolton) have ever had, his hoofball was painful to watch, and his excuses after each defeat got more and more comical by the week, just wait until he starts pointing out how much the oppositions striker cost, or they had a world beater coming off the bench, and expect Madine joining you in January as a target man for his tried and failed hoofball, clueless and inept doesn't even begin to describe that clown.
He got you up and kept you up for a year spending nothing

I don't know why people are slating the appointment, probably because it's not a well known name

Some people would rather have Phillips because he was a good player and that's the only reasoning behind it

Not true to be fair.

So not that bad then?

Last edited:

To be fair, I don’t think is necessarily the case here.

99% are conscious that the problem is in the boardroom, equally around 90% weren’t in favour of his appointment to begin with, yet I have no doubt were and are willing to get behind him (and the team) for the foreseeable.

The frustration has to be vented somewhere, and it is often the case the manager is the one to take the brunt on the criticism whether deserved as not, as that is part of the manager’s role in modern football: de facto ‘figure head’ and lightning rod for all of the bullshit. Yet, I maintain that doesn’t necessarily mean the frustration is entirely towards him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back