Phil Parkinson - Is he really that bad?

I have nothing against him, i just don’t understand why we would give him a 2 & half year contract, surly that will become another stumbling block to who pays him off if a investment (takeover) happens.

After seeing all the negative comments about his appointment i am wondering is he really that bad as i haven't heard of him if im honest. I know we are league 1 now and maybe expect too much but is it a backwards step or do you really think he can get us promoted. I see his teams don't seem to concede many goals but i guess that he must put 11 men behind the ball which would not be good to watch. Anyways just looking for some honest craic about him
Does this answer your question...

The current situation we find ourselves in & the start to his managerial career here.

He tries to play football, in the first half today we looked sharp, switching the ball out to the flanks, quick passing and putting good balls into the box.
The second half was woeful, up there with the worst i've ever seen and i watch a lot of Sunday league football.

I think the problem is for me anyway we look like we set up to soak up pressure at the back and play the ball out wide, switch play and work openings, the problem being, we're weak as piss defensively, particularly on McLaughlin's side as he's poor getting back but better going forward and we try to play the ball into the box too much, no-one seems to want to take the shot from around the box, instead opting for 3 or 4 short passes in succession which will invariably get cut out by defenders leaving us flat footed at the back and scrambling to get numbers back.
The less said of our attacking options the better.

It’s a results game
Hasn’t had a new manager bounce & the performances have been awful
other than that he’s been average

It’s a results game
Hasn’t had a new manager bounce & the performances have been awful
other than that he’s been average

Is it? If you read on this very board there are plenty of people who absolutely piss and moan when we win because we haven't played like Liverpool or Man City.

The performances have improved slightly imo but we haven't been able to score the goals some of our play has deserved. Under Ross we were creating about 5-6 chances a game and that has took a massive upturn but our finishing and lack of awareness in and around the box has scuppered us.

This forum is somewhat bipolar to be honest.

Last edited:
I have nothing against him, i just don’t understand why we would give him a 2 & half year contract, surly that will become another stumbling block to who pays him off if a investment (takeover) happens.
That makes me think he wasn't gonna join without the commitment of time to turn things around

Phil Parkinson? Fail Parkinson more like it.

I keep on hearing about how certain people at the club are being encouraged by improving performances but we are still losing games though and only one man is to blame. The downturn in results started at the same time he arrived.

Phil Parkinson? Fail Parkinson more like it.

I keep on hearing about how certain people at the club are being encouraged by improving performances but we are still losing games though and only one man is to blame. The downturn in results started at the same time he arrived.
Bullshit. The downturn was with Ross. People saying it's gone downhill since PP came in are talking out their arses. We were gradually getting worse under Ross PP is just a carbon copy replacement

Bullshit. The downturn was with Ross. People saying it's gone downhill since PP came in are talking out their arses. We were gradually getting worse under Ross PP is just a carbon copy replacement

We are losing more under Fail Parkinson. This season it took 11 games for Jack Dross to lose two games. Last season it took 21 games for Jack to reach two losses in his first games in charge. Parkinson has done it in his first 4 games.

The fan base didn't want him because we thought he was uninspiring and had a mediocre record. It turns out we were right and the posh boys were wrong. I predict things will turn nasty in the coming weeks and Parkinson will be sacked in March.

He tries to play football, in the first half today we looked sharp, switching the ball out to the flanks, quick passing and putting good balls into the box.
The second half was woeful, up there with the worst i've ever seen and i watch a lot of Sunday league football.

I think the problem is for me anyway we look like we set up to soak up pressure at the back and play the ball out wide, switch play and work openings, the problem being, we're weak as piss defensively, particularly on McLaughlin's side as he's poor getting back but better going forward and we try to play the ball into the box too much, no-one seems to want to take the shot from around the box, instead opting for 3 or 4 short passes in succession which will invariably get cut out by defenders leaving us flat footed at the back and scrambling to get numbers back.
The less said of our attacking options the better.

For me we do not have enough bodies in the box when crosses come in

The fan base didn't want him because we thought he was uninspiring and had a mediocre record. It turns out we were right and the posh boys were wrong. I predict things will turn nasty in the coming weeks and Parkinson will be sacked in March.

The "standout candidate" spiel is what got me. I'd dread to think who else we interviewed.
He's had the balls to take the job on but I just fail to see how he was going to inspire the players when he didn't 99% of fans. Surely they all know he's here because he's the cheap option. What sort of respect is that going to garner?

Last edited:

Back