Phil Foden

Midfield and up front picks itself for me now (though it's very harsh on Cole Palmer). Just need to find a good English centre back to partner Stones.

Kane
Foden Bellingham Saka
Mainoo Rice​
Was listening to the radio last night and heard an interview with Bellingham saying that his best position and the one he enjoys most is as part of a midfield two like he played with Dortmund. He’s playing out of position at 10 for Real as a result of other players in the team. The experts they had on agreed. They also said Foden should be starting at 10, but that Kane takes away all the space at 10 for England by dropping back too deep too often. They all said Southgate’s biggest problem is allowing Kane to do whatever he wants for England rather than doing what he’s told (and playing a classic number 9) like at Bayern.

I think there’s a changing of the guard at Man City and Foden is now becoming their star player
Yes, you're probably right. No denying Foden is a talent. Surrounded by quality too. De Bruyne was probably the best I've seen play live since Bergkamp. Now there was a player!

Was listening to the radio last night and heard an interview with Bellingham saying that his best position and the one he enjoys most is as part of a midfield two like he played with Dortmund. He’s playing out of position at 10 for Real as a result of other players in the team. The experts they had on agreed. They also said Foden should be starting at 10, but that Kane takes away all the space at 10 for England by dropping back too deep too often. They all said Southgate’s biggest problem is allowing Kane to do whatever he wants for England rather than doing what he’s told (and playing a classic number 9) like at Bayern.

Ancelotti thinks Bellingham's best position is a 10. He's a real expert. Bellingham's game has gone up a couple of levels since he moved from Dortmund. The number 8 he was at Dortmund wasn't one of the top 5 players in the world.

Stand by my original post that I don’t think anybody in the world is playing better than Foden right now. Infact he seems to be getting better everytime I watch him play. Phenomenal footballer and this upcoming tournament in the summer could be his Gazza moment for England.......if Southgate gets it right and doesn’t play him on the wing.

Problem is, though, we saw how abject our forward line is without Kane in it, just last week. Kane has to start and just do what he does. Let the others play around him.

Or just let them all have a free for all. We'll batter every f*cker. 😁

Midfield and up front picks itself for me now (though it's very harsh on Cole Palmer). Just need to find a good English centre back to partner Stones.

Kane
Foden Bellingham Saka
Mainoo Rice​

Foden, Kane and Bellingham all wanting to take up similar starting positions in that line up though unfortunately. Could do with a flying left back if that's how we line up so hopefully Shaw stays fit or Chilwell sorts himself out.

Southgate will get hammered regardless of what he does (even if we win the tournament) but there's no obvious correct answer for how to line up I don't think. We do also forget we have games every 4/5 days and that players play poorly, bench players play well, opposition have different strengths and weaknesses or players get tired so the team always needs rotating.

Last edited:
Completely agree about Harry Kane, seeming to dominate Southgate and play where and how he wants, for England.
As Foden has improved his goal scoring this season, playing more as a #10, then perhaps Foden can link up with Kane ?
If Bellingham plays deeper, alongside Rice, then Kane must stay as a centre forward, stopping his "wandering"...

Completely agree about Harry Kane, seeming to dominate Southgate and play where and how he wants, for England.
As Foden has improved his goal scoring this season, playing more as a #10, then perhaps Foden can link up with Kane ?
If Bellingham plays deeper, alongside Rice, then Kane must stay as a centre forward, stopping his "wandering"...

If you play Bellingham deeper than thats Mainoo not playing and after watching the midfield of him bellingham and rice he should be in the team. Id play him as a LW with the license to roam, but that will depend who we have at LB as well because it would only work with Shaw.

Stand by my original post that I don’t think anybody in the world is playing better than Foden right now. Infact he seems to be getting better everytime I watch him play. Phenomenal footballer and this upcoming tournament in the summer could be his Gazza moment for England.......if Southgate gets it right and doesn’t play him on the wing.
All about opinions mate, but the best player we have is Bellingham and he should play in the position which influences the game the most imo

Back