Phil Foden

Probably the best player in the world at the minute. Can’t think of anybody playing better than him at the minute. He is exceptional. I don’t think I’ve seen any Englishman with a better first touch than him.
Football all about opinions but Bellingham would be my first name on the team sheet ahead of him, but nice to have them both

Gareth will have him benched
Gareth with his 1990s tactics doesn't know what to do with him. We have all these excellent players playing progressive modern football at club level, then turn up to the England camp with Southgate trying to shoehorn them into his boring defensive 1990s style.

Are they playing better than Foden at the minute ??
Mbappe has got 1.28 goals + assists per 90 this season. And over 1 goal per 90. I’d say he’s got a fair shout to say he’s performing very well
Football all about opinions but Bellingham would be my first name on the team sheet ahead of him, but nice to have them both
The question is how do you get them both in a team to play to their abilities
Gareth with his 1990s tactics doesn't know what to do with him. We have all these excellent players playing progressive modern football at club level, then turn up to the England camp with Southgate trying to shoehorn them into his boring defensive 1990s style.
Do we play defensive? It’s not particularly exciting but I wouldn’t say it’s defensive.

Last edited:
Yeah I agree but room for them both.

Bellingham better level though imo
I agree. He’s also more versatile defensively so he’s more valuable imo

Bellingham and Kane could work well with Kane’s ability to create and Bellingham getting very good at making runs into the box.

Most teams I make in my head end up with either a weaker player next to Rice (who I think is also superb) in midfield or you out Bellingham there and lose some of his goal threat

I agree. He’s also more versatile defensively so he’s more valuable imo

Bellingham and Kane could work well with Kane’s ability to create and Bellingham getting very good at making runs into the box.

Most teams I make in my head end up with either a weaker player next to Rice (who I think is also superb) in midfield or you out Bellingham there and lose some of his goal threat
Even though Bellingham more than capable going back alongside Rice and see that argument would not do it.

Bellingham too good and too match changing, he needs to be used in the position that influences games and that further forward imo

Even though Bellingham more than capable going back alongside Rice and see that argument would not do it.

Bellingham too good and too match changing, he needs to be used in the position that influences games and that further forward imo
Against weaker teams you could play them both centrally ahead of Rice imo but against the big teams (which I think Southgate always has in mind with his selections) I think you need a player alongside Rice. It’s what I’d hoped Phillips was going to become but that didn’t happen. Henderson was ok at it but isn’t what he was.

We’ve got world class players in Kane, Saka, Foden, Bellingham & Rice. It’s just how we fit them all and give them the base to flourish.

If Bellingham plays behind Kane then you quickly end up with Foden on the right, I can’t really see how else he would fit in

It's both a blessing and a curse but the amount of attacking English talent is tremendous at the minute. Reminds me of the 90s I think when some quality strikers couldn't get in the side.

I love the fact that some of Englands best talent is a little scrawny lad from the streets of Manchester. Proper home grown!

Midfield and up front picks itself for me now (though it's very harsh on Cole Palmer). Just need to find a good English centre back to partner Stones.

Kane
Foden Bellingham Saka
Mainoo Rice​

It's both a blessing and a curse but the amount of attacking English talent is tremendous at the minute. Reminds me of the 90s I think when some quality strikers couldn't get in the side.
Imagine GS problem. Too many 50 pound notes to go in my wallet
Midfield and up front picks itself for me now (though it's very harsh on Cole Palmer). Just need to find a good English centre back to partner Stones.

Kane
Foden Bellingham Saka
Mainoo Rice​
He'll get there. He's class but he's not as good as Kane

Probably the best player in the world at the minute. Can’t think of anybody playing better than him at the minute. He is exceptional. I don’t think I’ve seen any Englishman with a better first touch than him.
Fantastic player.....but he doesnt do it for England though does he?Well not yet!🤞🤞

He hasn’t yet…. But hasn’t been given the chance!

He’s got to be in the euros first 11 without question
He will be in it thats for sure but he needs to do better in an England shirt ..you see what a great player he is at city..then he gets a chance he would bury for city but fluffs it in an England shirt..in a city shirt he beats a player ,shoots and places the ball in the back of the net like he was on the local park....in an england shirt he just shoots and hits the defender.

He will be in it thats for sure but he needs to do better in an England shirt ..you see what a great player he is at city..then he gets a chance he would bury for city but fluffs it in an England shirt..in a city shirt he beats a player ,shoots and places the ball in the back of the net like he was on the local park....in an england shirt he just shoots and hits the defender.
Just got to give him plenty of time running upto the euros and give him the benefit of the doubt

Doesn’t help when you go from having pep as a gaffer to Southgate mind

Kane
Foden Bellingham Saka
Mainoo Rice​
Swap Foden and Mainoo for Rashford and Henderson and you will be spot on!

Back