Pharmacists eh? 🤔

How do they know your date of birth? Unless you still hang balloons up on your front door or set the house on fire trying to blow the candles out on your cake.
Cos a professional confirmed they do ask

Mind you, I reckon I could walk out of mine with someone's "good stuff" if I fancied just by giving their name and address

Mine ask for my name then address before handing over , how else would they confirm the right person is getting the right meds ? :lol:

My pharmacy is a bit meh, they are not chatty at all as I wouldn't mind that ( they always look a bit understaffed and busy),seems to take about 5 days from ordering to them texting me to to say they are ready to be collected , it maybe that they are waiting on 1 of my 4 meds though I guess but I never had an issue with the last one before I moved back to Sunderland

Is it SOP that they should call after a week of being on a new prescription or is that a thing some pharmacies do off their own backs ?

Changed 2 of my meds since moving back to Sunderland one of which is a controlled drug and had no follow up calls
NMS, new medicine service, it’s classed as an advanced service so isn’t mandatory but the majority do it as the pharmacy receives a payment for every NMS completed. I’d enquire if they do it next time you are in but I’m thinking they probably don’t as it should have flagged up when your script was processed and labelled.
Most pharmacies try to offer as many services as possible as that’s where the money is coming from now. There’s no longer any money in prescriptions

Last edited:
Cos a professional confirmed they do ask

Mind you, I reckon I could walk out of mine with someone's "good stuff" if I fancied just by giving their name and address
I’ve never been asked mine and you never said you were asked yours. When I do collect my prescriptions they hardly shout it across the shop either, and most of them know me anyway. Which I think a professional also intimated.

As for getting someone else’s “good stuff” wouldn’t they be waiting in the same earshot space as yourself, if indeed the details were shouted out, so you’d be immediately challenged as to why you were claiming to be someone else, possibly committing a crime at the same time?

Last edited:
Down here you don’t need to give your name or address for a prescription.
90% of prescriptions are for crabs.
Pretty obvious watching people coming out the door with a bucket a spade as to what they have.

Wouldn't complain too much, sounds like pharmacy is in a bad way. Just been reading Lloyds Pharmacy was the second biggest retail pharmacy chain in the country just over a year ago. Now reported to have gone tits up with debts of ÂŁ300 million. Thats a hell of a lot of aspirins
The new owners loaded it with debt and then closed all high street pharmacies including the Sainsbury's one. Now only left with hospital outpatient pharmacies and Homecare. They are/were an utterly shit company
It's a complete mess. They're just not getting the money from the NHS that a prescription actually costs them. Losing money on many prescriptions. The model doesn't work for the pharmacy industry but the government won't give them more per prescription as that will take more money from the NHS. But then the government also push more work the Pharmacists way so expect them to do more for the same money. But more and more pharmacies will close so patients lose access to where they've been told to go for some ailments. A circular disaster.

Shit pay for Pharmacists too. I'd certainly not encourage my daughters to go down that route like their Mam.
The payment systems in place are not immediately responsive to factor in fluctuation of acquisition costs but arent as bad as made out by the pharmacy clubs in the media.

Pharmacist pay is pretty good. I bet you struggle to find a poorly paid one

Last edited:
The payment systems in place are not immediately responsive to factor in fluctuation of acquisition costs but arent as bad as made out by the pharmacy clubs in the media.

Pharmacist pay is pretty good. I bet you struggle to find a poorly paid one
Depends on your definition but 5 years at university, another pre reg year, all the cpd they have to do and the responsibility of the position I think it's shite considering you can get more doing much easier jobs with no qualifications.

I’ve never been asked mine and you never said you were asked yours. When I do collect my prescriptions they hardly shout it across the shop either, and most of them know me anyway. Which I think a professional also intimated.

As for getting someone else’s “good stuff” wouldn’t they be waiting in the same earshot space as yourself, if indeed the details were shouted out, so you’d be immediately challenged as to why you were claiming to be someone else, possibly committing a crime at the same time?
You'd be surprised at how many people have the same name that go to the same pharmacy. Definitely important to establish identity, whether it's address or date of birth.

Also a lot of people hear what they want to hear. They hear a name shouted out and automatically assume it's for them. Only it's not!

Even if I know somebody, I'll always check identity, more as a safeguard for myself that I'm handing out medication to the right person.

I've even covered in a pharmacy a couple days after the event where somebody had collected the "good stuff" on somebody's behalf and half inched it all for themselves. Cue a standoff between the patient and the pharmacy. In cases like these, we have to liaise with the surgery, write an incident report and also put notes on the patient's record that only they themselves are permitted to collect any medication in future.

Wouldn't complain too much, sounds like pharmacy is in a bad way. Just been reading Lloyds Pharmacy was the second biggest retail pharmacy chain in the country just over a year ago. Now reported to have gone tits up with debts of ÂŁ300 million. Thats a hell of a lot of aspirins
Was in the Lloyds Pharmacy at the Freeman Hospital last Tuesday.
Waited 1hr 40min for my meds to be processed.
I’m in a transplant kidney patient WhatsApp group and my wait time doesn’t even get me into the top five.

Depends on your definition but 5 years at university, another pre reg year, all the cpd they have to do and the responsibility of the position I think it's shite considering you can get more doing much easier jobs with no qualifications.
Definition? Its my job so definition should be ok

Oh and only 4 years for MSc + pre reg year.
Was in the Lloyds Pharmacy at the Freeman Hospital last Tuesday.
Waited 1hr 40min for my meds to be processed.
I’m in a transplant kidney patient WhatsApp group and my wait time doesn’t even get me into the top five.
It's utter shite. Can you not get them delivered instead of waiting?

Last edited:
Surely she only puts some tablets that have already been made into paper bags and sticks a sticker on them? No more difficult than being a trolley collector in reality.

Back