Petrol costs

It looks like last September was a shite time to buy a Freelander 2! :oops:
Mind, I haven't driven it since Christmas, I really wish I hadn't bought the bastard.

Looks like it's time to get my Golf GTTDi back on the road. It's still a diesel, but at least it can get 50+mpg on a run...
I've got a v10 petrol gets from 8-14 mpg depending on how it's driven. The wheels have not turned on it for 18 month, I've put a cover on it to keep the bird shit off and it can stay like that for the foreseeable. Just use the work van even though I'm not supposed to.

Luckily I bought a Volvo Hybrid last year. Retired now and only do short trips around town and wife to work.
Went on Octopus GO tarrif in October 2021 and still on this until September 2022.
I only pay 5p/kwh between 00:30 to 04:30 . My car has a 10.5kw battery and have home 7.5kw charger (fitted free by Volvo at the time) so take about 90 minutes for full charge and on night rate that costs me about 55pence for 20-24 miles.
My last car (Merc GLC) around town about 37MPG on Diesel, so same 24 miles would cost now around £5.80. Thats a massive saving!!!
end of September my night rates goes up to 20p/kwh so will then cost me around £2.20 for my 20-24 miles . Still over half the cost of Diesel car.

Think these high pump prices are to push more people to buying electric!!.
How much was the hybrid car compared to a normal but similar spec diesel Volvo? Unless leasing and paying a premium anyway (Most models are £200 a month more for the hybrid HERE) then buying on finance will mean more interest to pay also won't it? Unless someone pays cash but if they're paying cash I doubt they're bothered about saving a few quid. What about insurance costs, aren't they higher for electric vehicles so also possibly higher for hybrids? THIS seems to imply the Volvo hybrids are higher.

Aye it will be half the cost of a diesel car but 37mpg is a low as the average was 56mpg according to THIS. Comparing it to a 37mpg may be a benefit in your individual example but in general and like for like cars it's probably not.

A quick check on the Volvo website and you can compare models and potential savings. For the XC90 below it would take 5 years to save the difference in running costs and it would take 8 years for the XC40 and the V90 below. That is based on 1.91p a litre and 18.9p kWh over 8,000 miles a year.

Logon or register to see this image

Logon or register to see this image

Any low mileage user would take even longer to save money regarding running costs and the range of about 28 miles isn't much a year as nobody will do that each and every day. That is also assuming the driver only ever uses electric and never uses the fuel plus also gets the cheaper electric rate. Someone who used the fuel now and then along with just a normal electric tariff wouldn't save even less. Driving 8,000 miles a year getting 60mpg would be £1,200 a year (£3.60 for 24 miles) and it would be £400 a year for a hybrid at £2.20 per 24 miles making a saving of £800 a year or £4,000 over 5 years. Again this is assuming that it's always electric which I doubt most hybrids would be so is it actually cheaper given most people probably won't own a car 5 years, especially those that lease?

What about resale value as how much are some cars going to be worth when they're a few years old and the battery capacity isn't 100% of what it was? I'm not saying it's cheaper to run an hybrid or electric car but I certainly would factor in a lot more than just the fuel cost. This is just one manufacturer and a very rough example as the base price for the electric version of a petrol/diesel car from other manufacturers may be smaller and it will keep getting smaller in time for sure. Though I don't think it's as huge a saving if you could look at the overall cost of ownership from the day someone gets a car until the day they sell it. However if it's within their budget and their happy with the car then what's the problem ;)

What a load of waffle about summit I won't be buying in the near future! I wish the season would bloody kick off! At least the lasses footy starts tomorra so that can kill some of the boredom!

Back