Petrol costs

Maybe.

According to the RAC Foundation, the average petrol price (per litre) as of June 1st, 2022, was 174p. The average price as of July 1st, 2022 is 191p.

That's an increase of 17p, or an average of about 0.6p a day.

Tank size of a Ford Focus EcoBoost 1.0 is approx 45L (around 10 gallons) and you're getting probably 50mpg, that means you're able to get 500 miles on a single tank. If you're filling £120 a month, that means you're probably filling how many litres, maybe 70? So that's 18 litres a week, or 15 gallons? That's around 750 miles a month you're doing?

If you filled 18 litres on June 1st, 18 litres on June 8, 18 litres on June 15 and 18 litres on June 22, that would have cost you something like

18 * 1.74 on June 1st = £31
18 * 1.82 on June 8th = £33
18 * 1.87 on June 15th = £34
18 * 1.90 on June 22nd = £34

Accounting for the rise over the month using prices from the RAC Foundation

So £132.

At 70 litres a month, you could fill your tank at the start of the month, and fill it again three weeks later?

Had you done that in June you'd have filled on June 1st and say June 22nd...

45 * 1.74 = £78
25 * 1.90 = £48

So £126

You may well have saved £6 that way, but that's not accounting for a range of other factors, e.g. is your car less economical with more fuel in it?

I may well have fucked up the numbers there. I need a coffee.
Get a life aswell as a coffee mate, that's pretty sad working all that out.

This price rise is entirely self inflicted too. Oil is priced in dollars and something happened around Mid 2016 that caused Sterling to plummet against the dollar. Can’t see what that was though.
Sterling has rebounded a couple of times since then tho, as recently as last year. Brexit also doesn’t explain why fuel prices have rocketed across Europe either.

Maybe.

According to the RAC Foundation, the average petrol price (per litre) as of June 1st, 2022, was 174p. The average price as of July 1st, 2022 is 191p.

That's an increase of 17p, or an average of about 0.6p a day.

Tank size of a Ford Focus EcoBoost 1.0 is approx 45L (around 10 gallons) and you're getting probably 50mpg, that means you're able to get 500 miles on a single tank. If you're filling £120 a month, that means you're probably filling how many litres, maybe 70? So that's 18 litres a week, or 15 gallons? That's around 750 miles a month you're doing?

If you filled 18 litres on June 1st, 18 litres on June 8, 18 litres on June 15 and 18 litres on June 22, that would have cost you something like

18 * 1.74 on June 1st = £31
18 * 1.82 on June 8th = £33
18 * 1.87 on June 15th = £34
18 * 1.90 on June 22nd = £34

Accounting for the rise over the month using prices from the RAC Foundation

So £132.

At 70 litres a month, you could fill your tank at the start of the month, and fill it again three weeks later?

Had you done that in June you'd have filled on June 1st and say June 22nd...

45 * 1.74 = £78
25 * 1.90 = £48

So £126

You may well have saved £6 that way, but that's not accounting for a range of other factors, e.g. is your car less economical with more fuel in it?

I may well have fucked up the numbers there. I need a coffee.
I can't see the car in your example typically getting 50 mpg. I think closer to 40 is a bit more realistic.

I put £20 in other day as petrol light was on. After £20 petrol light was still on. 😂
Impossible.
Sterling has rebounded a couple of times since then tho, as recently as last year. Brexit also doesn’t explain why fuel prices have rocketed across Europe either.
Some like to blame it on brexit though. A comfort blanket for them.

Gas and electricity has gone through the roof and businesses have no protection with a price cap, which means refining costs have gone through the roof, and delivery of fuel to the forecourt also.

Impossible.

Some like to blame it on brexit though. A comfort blanket for them.

Gas and electricity has gone through the roof and businesses have no protection with a price cap, which means refining costs have gone through the roof, and delivery of fuel to the forecourt also.
Nope. Went from 0 miles to 79 miles too.

Would just fill it up as you're gambing on the price staying the same if you do it in smaller chunks. Let's be fair it's more likely to go up than down.

Back