Petrol costs

harmy

Striker
Currently put £30 petrol in the car per week. So usually £120 month.

Would it be more efficient to just fill the car to the brim in one go and hope the petrol lasts the month and saves me a few quid?

Car engine is 1.0 eco boost Ford Focus.

That isn’t how fuel works mate?

It will still burn off the same amount. Although techinically there will be less weight in the car if you put a fiver in every time so it’ll use less but the difference would be negligible

Same difference. Only way i see it being more efficient is 3 less stop offs at garage to hoy your £30s in. Six n two threes.

Unless you are in an F1 car hurtling around Silverstone then the difference in petrol usage due to weight of fuel in your car is so minimal you won't notice it

4 garages near me hit 199p for diesel 2 weeks ago and its like a game of chicken to see who pushes it further first. None wiling to do it so far.

If you use £120 a month worth of petrol then you aren’t going to get a full tank last a month. The car will take what £60 max to fill on a 1.0 litre Ford? Unless you stop driving as much

Maybe.

According to the RAC Foundation, the average petrol price (per litre) as of June 1st, 2022, was 174p. The average price as of July 1st, 2022 is 191p.

That's an increase of 17p, or an average of about 0.6p a day.

Tank size of a Ford Focus EcoBoost 1.0 is approx 45L (around 10 gallons) and you're getting probably 50mpg, that means you're able to get 500 miles on a single tank. If you're filling £120 a month, that means you're probably filling how many litres, maybe 70? So that's 18 litres a week, or 15 gallons? That's around 750 miles a month you're doing?

If you filled 18 litres on June 1st, 18 litres on June 8, 18 litres on June 15 and 18 litres on June 22, that would have cost you something like

18 * 1.74 on June 1st = £31
18 * 1.82 on June 8th = £33
18 * 1.87 on June 15th = £34
18 * 1.90 on June 22nd = £34

Accounting for the rise over the month using prices from the RAC Foundation

So £132.

At 70 litres a month, you could fill your tank at the start of the month, and fill it again three weeks later?

Had you done that in June you'd have filled on June 1st and say June 22nd...

45 * 1.74 = £78
25 * 1.90 = £48

So £126

You may well have saved £6 that way, but that's not accounting for a range of other factors, e.g. is your car less economical with more fuel in it?

I may well have fucked up the numbers there. I need a coffee.

I usually put in abouty £30 worth. Wait till it get's to £30.00 and stop. That lasts me fair few weeks. It takes me well into the 190 mile range of travel before it get's low.

Would it be more efficient to just fill the car to the brim in one go and hope the petrol lasts the month and saves me a few quid?

It would be more efficient to not drive it save up and get the wet belt changed.

If you make less trips to the pumps suppose you’ll save a little by not making that journey/detour

Back