Petrol costs

Sterling has rebounded a couple of times since then tho, as recently as last year. Brexit also doesn’t explain why fuel prices have rocketed across Europe either.

WW making stuff up again I see:lol:
He's probably blaming brexit for the loss of value of the € against the $

Do people specifically drive 2-3 miles to a petrol station though? Surely you'd plan to fill up whilst on route somewhere when passing, or whilst shopping etc before you're almost out... therefore topping up regularly won't add that much additional usage?
Depends who you are and where you live. I know people that do. I also know people that don’t. Tbh even driving the distance from the road to the forecourt and back probably uses more fuel than the additional weight consumes

Luckily I bought a Volvo Hybrid last year. Retired now and only do short trips around town and wife to work.
Went on Octopus GO tarrif in October 2021 and still on this until September 2022.
I only pay 5p/kwh between 00:30 to 04:30 . My car has a 10.5kw battery and have home 7.5kw charger (fitted free by Volvo at the time) so take about 90 minutes for full charge and on night rate that costs me about 55pence for 20-24 miles.
My last car (Merc GLC) around town about 37MPG on Diesel, so same 24 miles would cost now around £5.80. Thats a massive saving!!!
end of September my night rates goes up to 20p/kwh so will then cost me around £2.20 for my 20-24 miles . Still over half the cost of Diesel car.

Think these high pump prices are to push more people to buying electric!!.

Luckily I bought a Volvo Hybrid last year. Retired now and only do short trips around town and wife to work.
Went on Octopus GO tarrif in October 2021 and still on this until September 2022.
I only pay 5p/kwh between 00:30 to 04:30 . My car has a 10.5kw battery and have home 7.5kw charger (fitted free by Volvo at the time) so take about 90 minutes for full charge and on night rate that costs me about 55pence for 20-24 miles.
My last car (Merc GLC) around town about 37MPG on Diesel, so same 24 miles would cost now around £5.80. Thats a massive saving!!!
end of September my night rates goes up to 20p/kwh so will then cost me around £2.20 for my 20-24 miles . Still over half the cost of Diesel car.

Think these high pump prices are to push more people to buying electric!!.
Get solar pv with battery to complement hybrid, your motoring will get cheaper plus domestic bills will reduce.

It looks like last September was a shite time to buy a Freelander 2! :oops:
Mind, I haven't driven it since Christmas, I really wish I hadn't bought the bastard.

Looks like it's time to get my Golf GTTDi back on the road. It's still a diesel, but at least it can get 50+mpg on a run...

Filled up yesterday and paid £85 for a tank of diesel that will last me about 10-14 days.

I can't see the car in your example typically getting 50 mpg. I think closer to 40 is a bit more realistic.
I have a Ford Focus Estate 1L eco boost.

My commute to work is 60 mile round trip and I average 55mpg. Around the doors in drops to around 45mpg.

What is the cheapest electric car currently?

According to EV Database UK, that’s the SmartEQ fortwo Coupe, at £22.2k. VW E-Up (made in Yorkshire?) cheapest with a range of 100 miles plus tho.

Cheapest to run? Probably a Tesla Model 3.

Best combination of range and affordability, MG ZS EV Long Range.

Last edited:
According to EV Database UK, that’s the SmartEQ fortwo Coupe, at £22.2k.

Cheapest to run? Probably a Tesla Model 3.

Best combination of range and affordability, MG ZS EV Long Range.
Thank you, that’s my problem, £22 grand is a lot of money and where I live, there are very few charging points.

until they can get one that decent for around £15 grand or less, I don’t see how many will afford one.

Back