Peterborough keeper out for season/Emergency Loan Signed

Players can play for 3 clubs due to Corona from daily mail web site 11th June 2020. Increased from the usual 2

Last edited:
Been watching this from afar. This is a silly loophole that needs closing...apparently they are entitled to make the signing as neither remaining keeper has made 5 senior career apps. Also point of order, the 3 club rule has been paused for this season and may extend again into next season.

I agree that the 3rd choice Blackmore shouldn’t count. He’s not even on a pro deal there. But 24 year old Gyollai should be in goal 100 percent.

2 things:

1) How the actual f. has a keeper made it 24 years of old and not played in 5 senior games in his whole career?

2) What is the point in declaring an over aged squad, which you had to do even before the now-aborted salary cap, if you are still then eligible for emergency keeper loans?!

We actually signed a keeper at Pompey right at the end of the Jan window (Lewis Ward) because Alex Bass broke his leg in training and is only now starting to train again. We had another over age keeper called Duncan Turnbull who like Gyollai hadn’t made enough appearances and we weren’t confident that if anything happened to MacGillivray that he could step up, so we used our final squad space under the old cap on Ward rather than a striker as that was the message we got from the authorities.

This signing takes the piss I’m afraid, and it’s a loophole that needs closing. Posh signed Gyollai to be their number 2 in the summer. He should be playing.

Last edited:
A massive pisstake but there you go. Have to laugh that the EFL have made such a hash of the rules that a team chasing promotion can fabricate the reasons for an actual keeper upgrade for the run-in rather than having to play their own players like everyone else. We'll just have make sure we finish above them regardless then.

A massive pisstake but there you go. Have to laugh that the EFL have made such a hash of the rules that a team chasing promotion can fabricate the reasons for an actual keeper upgrade for the run-in rather than having to play their own players like everyone else. We'll just have make sure we finish above them regardless then.
There is no fabrication, it just appears to be the rather shit rules.

Got to feel sorry for their no2 keeper, poor lad waits all season for a game then just as he thinks he will get a chance they bring in a kid to play ahead him . Lad must be worse than matthews :lol:

Borderline cheating for me

Nowt borderline about it. It breaks the EFLs published rules and thus relies on the shady brown envelope dealings in the corridors of the FA Ivory Towers!
People saying it’s a piss take but if this has happened to us and we only had a couple of Rookies to call on I’m sure there would be no issue. They should be allowed to do whatever is within the rules as should any club

When is a professional footballer not a professional footballer?

Last edited by a moderator:
I've read those rules too and agree but it appears ( and no I cant find the rules either) that as both the others were under 23 at the start of the season and have made no league appearances they don't count. Makes no sense to me either but there seems to be a general acceptance an emergency loan will be granted.
So you have a reserve keeper who is older than 3 or 4 of the players who turned out for Sunderland at the weekend. You employ him as a professional footballer, but when he needs to be called upon he’s not deemed to be a professional. If I were the EPL, I‘d be wanting to know why you were paying this man and putting him in your first team match day squad every week when you have no intention of using him when he’s needed. Surely the idea of a reserve player is for him to step in to replace a first choice player when needed.

Back