People who talk about "the gym"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jim Baxter

Jim McDonald
It would be an interesting psychological study. The meltdowns cos the gyms are shut Man. It’s like people have forgotten how to keep fit without them. Run, bike, climb, do circuits, lift rocks, chase chickens. I think a lot of people are embarrassed about being seen doing exercise, but anything goes in the safety of the gym. I reckon most people go cos it’s a routine and they wouldn’t do any exercise otherwise. But if the government was serious about getting Britain fit, they’d make them all free.

definitely born in the 1800s

Last edited:

That’s what I mean. It’s an incentive cos your paying for it
This year I’ve hit middle age like a brick wall mind, I could do with going to the gym if I wasn’t such a lazy fuck.
I can normally rely on losing about a stone every summer, as soon as I get the bike out. This year, nothing. I’ve been on a diet of sorts since january, out on the bike, riding the turbo trainer, ran a bit, much less booze due to the pubs being shut, and I’m exactly the same weight as I was in Jan 1st, to the pound. It’s depressing that I can make what seems like a decent effort for me for zero reward (well apart from not getting any fatter I suppose). I have absolutely no idea now to step it up enough to lose the 3 stone I’d like to next year, given my constraints of time and motivation. Then I see people dropping a stone in a month and wonder why I even bother at all.
Ran a bit. 😂 You can’t count that.

That’s what I mean. It’s an incentive cos your paying for it
This year I’ve hit middle age like a brick wall mind, I could do with going to the gym if I wasn’t such a lazy fuck.
I can normally rely on losing about a stone every summer, as soon as I get the bike out. This year, nothing. I’ve been on a diet of sorts since january, out on the bike, riding the turbo trainer, ran a bit, much less booze due to the pubs being shut, and I’m exactly the same weight as I was in Jan 1st, to the pound. It’s depressing that I can make what seems like a decent effort for me for zero reward (well apart from not getting any fatter I suppose). I have absolutely no idea now to step it up enough to lose the 3 stone I’d like to next year, given my constraints of time and motivation. Then I see people dropping a stone in a month and wonder why I even bother at all.
Do Fast800 and go to the gym and do as much as you can. You’ll lose 3 stone in max 6 weeks.

Bit of passive-aggressive shit going on with a bit of aggressive-aggressive hoyed in just confirm it’s about garn to the gym. Or not.
shirley walking is one of the best forms of exercise known to human beans for general health and fitness, as in fitness for purpose. It’s almost as if we evolved to be able to walk and run about a bit.
pointless arguing about fitness as it varies depending on what you want/need to be fit for.

Agree that plateaus, plateauses, plateaux (?) are b*stards like.

Since lockdown 1.0 started I’ve been in the ‘gym’ - actually my garage with an exercise bike and some bbc health/exercise related activity and routines - every morning, for half an hour or so, since. I’m not sat on trains, eating shite, staying in hotels etc, (I retired in August anyway) I’m eating more healthily and I’ve taken to a weekly long walk and lots of shorter walks to the village and nearby. When it was possible to do so I also swam two or three times a week. The pool limits attendance and has a booking system to ensure distancing. I’ll be trying to do that again soon.

I’ve lost three stone. But it’s bloody cold in the garage these mornings.

Might try the gym when it’s all back to normal. It’ll be warmer. Presumably it’s possible to take walks AND other exercise.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just noticed this the last few weeks from the gym rats at work. Bottles of water are huge in one hand, protein shake in the other.

Lads, you might spend 3 hours a day in the gym lifting a few weights, most the time you’re checking your Instagram account.

love staff sports day or 5 a side when I piss on them as they’ve no cardio stamina and calf’s like an old woman as they’ve skipped leg day :lol:
If you spend 3 hours in a gym then you are wasting half of that time

On my way now, proper machine me like. Who else is going today? What's everyone training? Proper gym wanker me :cool:

Anar but your a bit of a scrapper arent yer so you probably should go to the gym. My initial point was referring mostly to the early - mid 20s kids who "hammer" the gym every day but supplement it with nandos / subways / "maccy ds" etc. They receive nothing but disdain from me in the work environment. Its all about the balance in my eyes. I dont even think they do anything when they are there from what i can tell, its all about "i saw such and such at the gym today" blah blah fkn blah. People like that are boring and thats what i tell them.

I do also think a change in lifestyle means that we have less fit people. Basically to earn a crust, most families nowadays have both parents at work in some capacity, then its race home, feed the kids, sort homework out etc and by the time thats all done its 7pm and they cant be arsed to do anything especially in the winter months.

Anar but your a bit of a scrapper arent yer so you probably should go to the gym. My initial point was referring mostly to the early - mid 20s kids who "hammer" the gym every day but supplement it with nandos / subways / "maccy ds" etc. They receive nothing but disdain from me in the work environment. Its all about the balance in my eyes. I dont even think they do anything when they are there from what i can tell, its all about "i saw such and such at the gym today" blah blah fkn blah. People like that are boring and thats what i tell them.

you sound like a right barrel of laughs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back