People were wrong about Short ...

That doesnt mean we should all be rejoicing in his leadership. He was a complete disaster, he embarrassed the fans for years and destroyed the club from top to bottom. Sorry like but a cup final isn't anywhere near enough payback from him to us, or at least me for what he did to my club.
Rubbish. Murray was in charge for 20 years, in that time managed one cup final, to take us to the third tier (just like Short) and spent 4/5 years in the top league compared which was a terrible percentage in comparison

Rubbish. Murray was in charge for 20 years, in that time managed one cup final, to take us to the third tier (just like Short) and spent 4/5 years in the top league compared which was a terrible percentage in comparison
Don’t understand the love in for Murray? He almost sunk the club completely with his reign and granted he built the stadium and training ground, however he lacked investment into the team when we were on the verge of something special under Reid. Not defending Short like but Murray isn’t saint Roker Report make him out to be, Murray oversaw 19 and 15 points man!

So Murray got us to a cup final and we should all love him too ?

4 times and,not a major cup final I know, the Charlton play-off. One of those during Short's tenure.
Mate,I'll concede there wasn't "nothing", but you're being picky. Overall he oversaw the very fabric of the club being ripped out piece by piece. The evidence is there for all to see...there can be no doubt....and I for one hold him accountable for each and every bit of it. His Chairmanship was blighted with constant poor decision making, poor management of the club's affairs on every level which ultimately led to our humbling relegations and to where we are now. Yes, he put his hand in his pocket,but that was the least he could do to cover up his blatant incompetence and, yes, he sold out on what appear to be reasonable terms to what appears to be the right people for us......again,the very least he could do to preserve any kind of personal reputation he may have left.

TBH the fabric was patched up, worn out and threadbare before Short ever became involved.

The club was well known as a rest home for underachieving players after a free ride.

Not saying Short didn't make mistakes but the players, and managers, took the piss imo.

I'm loving what's happening now because the new boys looked at the fabric and tore it to pieces, put it in bin bags and hoyed it on a big fire.

The staff, manager and players now know that SAFC isn't carrying passengers any more ..... I'm thankful for that tbh.

If Short hadn't made it easy for them we could've ended up with owners who'd have made things even worse.

TBH the fabric was patched up, worn out and threadbare before Short ever became involved.

The club was well known as a rest home for underachieving players after a free ride.

Not saying Short didn't make mistakes but the players, and managers, took the piss imo.

I'm loving what's happening now because the new boys looked at the fabric and tore it to pieces, put it in bin bags and hoyed it on a big fire.

The staff, manager and players now know that SAFC isn't carrying passengers any more ..... I'm thankful for that tbh.

If Short hadn't made it easy for them we could've ended up with owners who'd have made things even worse.

To be honest, the difference in thinking at management level is what is making the difference for us now. A realisation despite what others might think. That a loyal and passionate following of supporters including those living away are the actual

lifeblood of a club. Yes it is the football that brings in revenue but it is also the crowds that bring in advertising, involves local communities and businesses. Gives a lift and a passion to the area and puts our City on the map. We have no divine

right to be at the top table, in respect of football. But I am in no doubt that in our own time we will return.

We have had faith and patience fed to us in our mothers milk for years washed down by humility and fortitude after all we are Sunderland. Let's just enjoy the journey, it is a new day and forget about who did what and why! What we cannot

change is the past, however we can impact on our here an now! Ha-way the Lads!

Riv, I get it. The well known club for overpaid prima donnas, the piss taking managers, dofs, ceos..... that’s all in the process of being repaired under our new owners, eased into it by Short maybe,and I too am very thankful for that! I too am loving watching my club again! It still doesn’t alter the fact that under his stewardship this club went to pretty near rock bottom, and a cup final and a single figure number of great wins over the neck end of 10 years don’t mask over that reality.

What I will never understand is the hypocrisy on here, the classic example being "he gave a load of money to incompetents to blow on shite" vs. "he gave us nothing to spend in the window".

Being a football chairman is a completely thankless role. You can probably count on one hand the number of popular ones.

The fact is that he kept us in the richest league in the world for 10 years where you have to spend a fortune just to stand still. The last time we achieved that feat was probably in the fifties when it could be done on a shoestring.

.... and it's killing them.

There must have been dozens of posters who vehemently insisted Short had a plan to take the club into administration and 'thereby line his pockets' or whatever. Even logical replies by people who understand finance, such as @Grumpy Old Man, were dismissed out of hand by people who 'knew better'.

I suspect this is the reason for so many of these 'I bet there are hidden clauses from Short and we'll be paying him for years' threads.

I've seen people claiming all kinds of dirty tricks regarding the takeover that will come back to haunt us, they simply refuse to believe we're debt free.

FFS lads, just accept he's done the decent thing and has given us the chance to draw a line on the past. Going back over Short, Bain, Byrne, etc etc etc is destructive and part of the problem. It's often said, on here, that there's a self destructive attitude from people who just happy clap and accept shit ..... so why don't those people look on the bright side, for once, and accept this opportunity to rebuild the club in the right way, just a thought.
Great post

Just out of interest have your perceptions changed at all in the last year ...
... mine have slightly.

I'm seeing Donald in a slightly different light but Short in much the same way.
I still think Short's a con man and I still think many people on here are gullible as they no zero about business and accounting in particular . Donald, I think is a little more up front . He's steadied the ship and intends to make money on his investments . I don't see anything wrong with that . Oh, and I'm still a fan of Ross . He's too bright to be a failure .

I still think Short's a con man and I still think many people on here are gullible as they no zero about business and accounting in particular . Donald, I think is a little more up front . He's steadied the ship and intends to make money on his investments . I don't see anything wrong with that . Oh, and I'm still a fan of Ross . He's too bright to be a failure .

I'm sure many people would love a conman to wipe off their mortgage and all their debts.

I'm sure many people would love a conman to wipe off their mortgage and all their debts.
Especially the debts incurred by him . That's if he actually used any of his own money to clear those debts and if all the debts have been cleared . Pity he didn't put us back in the premiership and leave us with a capable manager and some players who actually wanted to be there . The man was a disaster for our club . If I wasn't so busy I'd buy it and put everything right myself .:)

Especially the debts incurred by him . That's if he actually used any of his own money to clear those debts and if all the debts have been cleared . Pity he didn't put us back in the premiership and leave us with a capable manager and some players who actually wanted to be there . The man was a disaster for our club . If I wasn't so busy I'd buy it and put everything right myself .:)

Utterly clueless. There was no debt on the 2018 balance sheet, and all the charges over the club's assets have been lifted. That's as definitive as it gets. But don't let facts get in the way of your conspiracy theory. Doesn't it get hot wearing that tinfoil hat all the time?

There are a lot of other people who used to be in positions of power at SAFC under him who deserve more criticism. Short appointed these people, so he is far from absolved and he has to take responsibility for their actions under him, but what he did for the club was above and beyond and needs a lot more credit.

You're talking absolute nonsense and simply making up your own 'facts' that bear no relation to reality ...

... it's pathetic man.

You're entitled to your opinion but your argument is worse than a Mags 'net spend'.

Back