People were wrong about Short ...

Reiver

Winger
.... and it's killing them.

There must have been dozens of posters who vehemently insisted Short had a plan to take the club into administration and 'thereby line his pockets' or whatever. Even logical replies by people who understand finance, such as @Grumpy Old Man, were dismissed out of hand by people who 'knew better'.

I suspect this is the reason for so many of these 'I bet there are hidden clauses from Short and we'll be paying him for years' threads.

I've seen people claiming all kinds of dirty tricks regarding the takeover that will come back to haunt us, they simply refuse to believe we're debt free.

FFS lads, just accept he's done the decent thing and has given us the chance to draw a line on the past. Going back over Short, Bain, Byrne, etc etc etc is destructive and part of the problem. It's often said, on here, that there's a self destructive attitude from people who just happy clap and accept shit ..... so why don't those people look on the bright side, for once, and accept this opportunity to rebuild the club in the right way, just a thought.

Last edited:

I agree. There may or may not be clauses, who knows? If there are we will find out sooner or later, way of modern football, and we can discuss it then. I'm not going to pretend I like Short as a person but at the end of the day he has given us a chance to rebuild (admittedly after making a f***ing mess). It's time to move forward.

There must have been dozens of posters who vehemently insisted Short had a plan to take the club into administration and 'thereby line his pockets' or whatever. Even logical replies by people who understand finance, such as @Grumpy Old Man, were dismissed out of hand by people who 'knew better'.

I suspect this is the reason for so many of these 'I bet there are hidden clauses from Short and we'll be paying him for years' threads.

I've seen people claiming all kinds of dirty tricks regarding the takeover that will come back to haunt us, they simply refuse to believe we're debt free.

FFS lads, just accept he's done the decent thing and has given us the chance to draw a line on the past. Going back over Short, Bain, Byre, etc etc etc is destructive and part of the problem. It's often said, on here, that there's a self destructive attitude from people who just happy clap and accept shit ..... so why don't those people look on the bright side, for once, and accept this opportunity to rebuild the club in the right way, just a thought.

You'll never convince the perpetually-miserable-and-angry to start being happy clappers, mate. I've been trying for years and got nowt but shit for it.

Short has left us debt-free, supposedly, according to the SAFC announcement.

If it were a situation where we were going to give Short money later from player sales, parachute payments, future promotion clauses etc. then that would be a debt, which would mean the club aren't debt-free.

I genuinely think it was probably just after the transfer window at the beginning of last season that he thought enough is enough - i am not putting in any more money, especially as his own choice of manager had just blown £40 million on absolute shite!

He must have sat and watched and thought I have invested over £200 million and we still end up with players who can trap a ball further than Ellis Jr can kick it. Feck that, I am out!

fact is short is a canny bloke and a MLF who wanted what was best for the club. He was badly let down by his choice of employees who were probably recommended to him by someone else. People like byrne and bain not to mention a host of terrible managers and coaches.
If he comes back to watch us as he said he'd like to, what sort of a reception do you think he'd get ?

I was wrong, I admit it. I thought he would take every parachute payment then stick us in administration. He did a very noble and decent thing writing off all the debt. Still his fault for where we are though.
I don’t think anyone needs to apologise. It was what was, and he isn’t blameless as you say. These kind of threads are divisive, and serve absolutely no purpose.

fact is short is a canny bloke and a MLF who wanted what was best for the club. He was badly let down by his choice of employees who were probably recommended to him by someone else. People like byrne and bain not to mention a host of terrible managers and coaches.
His big mistake in this whole mess was not bringing in a proper football person who he could trust. Personally I would have kept Quinn or brought in someone like him. Trusting people with a dodgy pedigree did for him.

Hes done the decent thing in the end but hes absolutely humiliated us over the last 4-5yrs and hes cost us a generation of fans. Hes steered us to the lowest ebb in our history and lets keep everything crossed the new consortium can pull us out of it. To be honest im staggered at the amount of people who just forget what short has done to the club, the fans the loss of jobs purely cause hes paid back his own catastrophic management.

Hes done the decent thing in the end but hes absolutely humiliated us over the last 4-5yrs and hes cost us a generation of fans. Hes steered us to the lowest ebb in our history and lets keep everything crossed the new consortium can pull us out of it. To be honest im staggered at the amount of people who just forget what short has done to the club, the fans the loss of jobs purely cause hes paid back his own catastrophic management.

I'm specifically talking about the debt free situation ... the rest has already been endlessly discussed on other threads.

That's all in the past now, the takeover is the present and the future unknown ... but brighter than it was a month ago imo.

FFS lads, just accept he's done the decent thing and has given us the chance to draw a line on the past. Going back over Short, Bain, Byrne, etc etc etc is destructive and part of the problem. It's often said, on here, that there's a self destructive attitude from people who just happy clap and accept shit ..... so why don't those people look on the bright side, for once, and accept this opportunity to rebuild the club in the right way, just a thought.
Agreed. I think the problem here is that we're so used to being shit on that we can't shake the feeling that something is wrong.

Back