People coming into work with cold/flu..

Another one of those threads where lots of people have a lot of opinions without having a clue about anyone else’s work situation or their company’s attitude or policy towards being off sick.

I came down with that winter vomitting bug\stomach flu at the weekend and its wiped me out.... Its the way of the world these days people don't like taking sick days.

proper flu is totally different, you cant even get out of bed

Another one of those threads where lots of people have a lot of opinions without having a clue about anyone else’s work situation or their company’s attitude or policy towards being off sick.
lasses at our place take a sickie and come in with a new hairstyle :lol:

proper flu is totally different, you cant even get out of bed

lasses at our place take a sickie and come in with a new hairstyle :lol:

Last time I had any time off sick I came back well in need of a hair cut and someone took the piss. I said "I couldn't have exactly had three days off sick then come in with a new f***ing hair do could I?".

They all thought I was being a weirdo for suggesting it was out of order.

I've spent years working for small businesses where if you're not in the work doesn't get done, so I'd have to be properly sick to not go in.

I was working at Newcastle Uni for a bit though and I went in not feeling to good one day. "Just take a few days sick" was the advice I got. They worked it out on periods of absence so if you were taking one day sick you might as well take the week.

The bairn had started going to childcare around then and was constantly picking up little sniffles that would deck me when he inevitably passed them on. I made good use of that sick policy.

Annoyingly, I can’t find the article that I used last year to prove to my boss that this is the case. We went from no sick leave to paid sick leave, and the number of absences fell significantly. He couldn’t believe it and I did show him evidence to show which it was not a surprising result but sadly I can’t find it now, even after 30 minutes of searching. The point was that people who are not paid for sick days are likely to abuse the days since they don’t feel any sense of deception, as they’re the ones losing out. If they’re paid, very few people (*very* few) will abuse sick days when they’re not unwell, as they will feel guilty for deceiving their boss and coworkers.

I did find some of the articles supporting paid sick leave from an economic point of view, however. It’s beneficial to the employer as well as the employees:
Volume 3, Issue 4, October 2017 | NIOSH Research Rounds | CDC
Paid sick leave a win-win for employers, employees
http://www.nationalpartnership.org/...d-sick-days-good-for-business-and-workers.pdf
“Presenteeism” costs millions in lost productivity every year, far exceeding the costs of absenteeism caused by sickness. People who come to work sick also ultimately cause more absences in turn by infecting other people, not to mention they come in when they’re in an unfit state and are notably less productive.

Annoyingly, I can’t find the article that I used last year to prove to my boss that this is the case. We went from no sick leave to paid sick leave, and the number of absences fell significantly. He couldn’t believe it and I did show him evidence to show which it was not a surprising result but sadly I can’t find it now, even after 30 minutes of searching. The point was that people who are not paid for sick days are likely to abuse the days since they don’t feel any sense of deception, as they’re the ones losing out. If they’re paid, very few people (*very* few) will abuse sick days when they’re not unwell, as they will feel guilty for deceiving their boss and coworkers.

I did find some of the articles supporting paid sick leave from an economic point of view, however. It’s beneficial to the employer as well as the employees:
http://www.nationalpartnership.org/...d-sick-days-good-for-business-and-workers.pdf
“Presenteeism” costs millions in lost productivity every year, far exceeding the costs of absenteeism caused by sickness. People who come to work sick also ultimately cause more absences in turn by infecting other people, not to mention they come in when they’re in an unfit state and are notably less productive.

There was a similar thing with those companies who offer unlimited holidays, the employees always end up taking less.

Studies also exist which show people with 'unlimited' holiday allowance take fewer days off than they would with a fixed allowance. Similar concept, people don't want to be seen to take the piss.

There was a similar thing with those companies who offer unlimited holidays, the employees always end up taking less.

Snap

What the fuck is wrong with them? Im bad as a dog just before Christmas now after a lass who sits next to me came in coughing and spluttering last week :evil: I didn't feel this bad after being soaked through at Accrington and sat on a coach in damp clothes for an hour :rolleyes:
Can see the return to work form now.

Reason for absence:
Softcock

I see them coming into the gym with colds and infections of various kinds. One bloke in particular, he is not alone, wipes his snotty nose on his bare hand before gripping a handlebar. I have actually told him to knock it off, waste of time, he also likes Theresa May.

I can work from home so it’s simple enough to just text my boss saying I’m not going to come and contaminate anyone so just give me a call if he needs to speak to me.

If I’m needed on client site it’s a bit different. Usually go in and try to set up an exclusion zone.

Back