PC Wayne Couzens pleads guilty to kidnap and rape of Sarah Everard

I'd love to know on what grounds, unless it's the whole life tarrif for using his job to murder part.
Its an application to appeal. This could be refused.
What has he got to lose by appealing the whole life term? best he can hope for is 25 years instead of whole life term. Allegedly this was the first time a judge has used whole life term in these circumstances as his crime was against a single person and not multiple persons or related to terrorism

Last edited:

Regardless of whether all police are twats or not If they are investigating you DO NOT trust them they are not your friends they are trying to convict you of something.

Unfortunately I do have experience of this I want to add I do not have a criminal record have never been charged or convicted of anything but my experience was they knew I was innocent but still tried every trick In the book to get something on me.

Completey ruined my opinion of them and I will never trust a copper again however I am still capable of saying not all police are bad and there will be plenty of good ones!

Sound advice

Its an application to appeal. This could be refused.
What has he got to lose by appealing the whole life term? best he can hope for is 25 years instead of whole life term. Allegedly this was the first time a judge has used whole life term in these circumstances as his crime was against a single person and not multiple persons or related to terrorism

you can still continue your appeal to a full hearing if the single judge refuses leave at the paper sift stage. It would ordinarily mean that time spent on remand waiting for the outcome of your appeal might not count or your sentence is increased. Obviously in this case it would make no difference whatsoever so I except it’ll go all the way as a matter of public interest in any event.

The man used his position as a police officer to rape and murder someone, of course he’s going to appeal his sentence. Why wouldn’t he. What’s he got to lose,.

Everyone has the right to appeal their sentence, doesn’t mean it will be taken seriously. Hopefully it’ll be roundly rejected.

The man used his position as a police officer to rape and murder someone, of course he’s going to appeal his sentence. Why wouldn’t he. What’s he got to lose,.

Everyone has the right to appeal their sentence, doesn’t mean it will be taken seriously. Hopefully it’ll be roundly rejected.
It needs to be taken seriously and without emotion. People often forget that the justice system is there to protect innocent people who sometimes find themselves in court too. (Just one of several reasons why the death penalty is not appropriate.)

It needs to be taken seriously and without emotion. People often forget that the justice system is there to protect innocent people who sometimes find themselves in court too. (Just one of several reasons why the death penalty is not appropriate.)

I understand people’s gut reactions when scum try and work the system. Someone like Couzens appealing against his sentence doesn’t sit right at all.

But at the end of the day there’s a bigger picture.

I understand people’s gut reactions when scum try and work the system. Someone like Couzens appealing against his sentence doesn’t sit right at all.

But at the end of the day there’s a bigger picture.
Agreed. I don't think he will ever be successful in his appeals. However, they need to be done correctly and fairly so that the system works to protect those that DO need sentences adjusting or acquitting.

Agreed. I don't think he will ever be successful in his appeals. However, they need to be done correctly and fairly so that the system works to protect those that DO need sentences adjusting or acquitting.

He was on a hiding to nothing like. As far as murders go, this case had about as many aggravating factors as you could think of.

Rapist, Murderer and ex-copper. Hopefully he’ll have a marvellous time inside, even in the “special” wing.

Good to see his appeal rejected, one time I'd have liked to see cameras in court to see his face. Don't know why double murderer Stewart had his reduced mind, although likely never be released either.

Should have his tariff increased.

If crimes against police are considered above crimes against civilians, the opposite should hold.

I'm ambivalent on capital punishment but I think there are instances where it is warranted. This is one. The world would be a better place without that person in it.

Good to see his appeal rejected, one time I'd have liked to see cameras in court to see his face. Don't know why double murderer Stewart had his reduced mind, although likely never be released either.
It was a pure point of law that all the advocates (even the appeal advocates) and the judge at trial had got wrong.

Because he was being sentenced for the first murder (the second murder having been dealt with 5 years earlier) it didn't fall into the "whole- life" category that everybody thought: "a murder by an offender previously convicted of murder". It seems fairly obvious to me that the Court of Appeal is right about the interpretation.

It is up to Parliament now to change the law if they want a "2 strikes and you're in, forever" policy.

The bastard shouldn't be breathing after what he did to Sarah, he doesn't deserve to.
But that's the point though, he does deserve to be breathing, no matter what he has done. The right to life is the most fundamental human right. And to answer the expected self-righteous angry replies, criminals do not lose their fundamental human rights after committing even the most horrendous crimes (other than their right to freedom).

The death penalty is unsafe because nobody can guarantee a conviction as absolutely certain. Lots of people have been locked up for a long time, who would have been executed by the state if there had been a death penalty available, and then found to be actually innocent later on.

I am no less sickened by what he did and I agree with the posters who wished for a stronger sentence. Giving the state the right to start killing people is not a good thing at all. A quick look at the list of countries that do have the death penalty and those that don't should confirm that.

Back