Passwords - surely no-one is this dumb anymore

• Thread starter Deleted member 30853
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
First job I had, there was a keypad to gain entry to the "secure" area, guy came to service it, told the boss it was fine but we needed to change the code as he had guessed it straight off (1066). Next time he came guessed the new code straight off (6969), apparently they were the most common security codes back then 1990s

I worked in a pub many years ago and we had an issue with the alarm. The Brewery sent out an engineer (alarm technician) to sort it out and used 1515 as the code which worked. That was apparently a well known number used in the trade at that time.

Party trick of mine when doing supply teaching and being left with no normal whiteboard and only an interactive one without anyone to help me get logged in to be able to use it and actually have a surface to write on for the day is just to guess my way into the system. 99% of the time it's either staff/teacher/adult/password/name of class/name of school. The number of Heads who've got really alarmed at their staff's IT security when they've popped in to check if I was OK and wondered how I'd got logged in to use the board and been horrified it's so easily guessable is amusing.

And yes the 1973 thing on Wearside is true - I know at least one large employer whose IT department set it as the unlock code for all their devices.

^^^ this.

It the major flaw in most people's passwords.

Different password for every site, I don't even try to remember them, just let chrome do its thing.

That's fine if you use the same device each time. I find I need to use different devices that use different web browsers, so I am always having to reset passwords.

We receive fake phishing emails sent by our security department every so often, for the last one about 10% of staff clicked on the link in the email and entered personal details and passwords. This is in an IT software company :lol:
we're rolling out a similar program after our year-end process is concluded. we're running a sweep on our team as to which of the senior it management figures will fall for it...

Refuse to say

Judging by the pm’s this one has got im logging out of his account anyway :eek:

I've just clicked on the OPs profile and its not accessible.

From other forums I've posted on, it normally means he or she is serving a ban.

The only way you'd see the OPs PMs if so is if you are a mod and I don't see Staff Member next to your name. :)

I've just clicked on the OPs profile and its not accessible.

From other forums I've posted on, it normally means he or she is serving a ban.

The only way you'd see the OPs PMs if so is if you are a mod and I don't see Staff Member next to your name. :)

I was only joking mate

I was pretending I’d accessed this account by guessing the password

Seems the op is on a ban aswell

EDIT - HAD ON YOU'RE THE BANNED POSTER AYE

we're rolling out a similar program after our year-end process is concluded. we're running a sweep on our team as to which of the senior it management figures will fall for it...
Pictures of them should be placed on a wall of shame IMHO.

To be fair some of them have been hard to spot. I just look in the message header, all of them have mentioned 'phishtest' somewhere, knackers.

I was only joking mate

I was pretending I’d accessed this account by guessing the password

Seems the op is on a ban aswell

EDIT - HAD ON YOU'RE THE BANNED POSTER AYE

:lol: Yea, I got banned for tracking down a moderator to their home address and puncturing their car tyres.

I've no idea who the OP is TBH. I just wondered why they had a squirrel as their profile picture.

Your profile comes back with "This member limits who can view their profile". ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
:lol: Yea, I got banned for tracking down a moderator to their home address and puncturing their car tyres.

I've no idea who the OP is TBH. I just wondered why they had a squirrel as their profile picture.

Your profile comes back with "This member limits who can view their profile". ;)

I know it does

Yours doesn’t

I’m also following you

I know it does

Yours doesn’t

I’m also following you

Now you're creeping me out!!! :eek:

Party trick of mine when doing supply teaching and being left with no normal whiteboard and only an interactive one without anyone to help me get logged in to be able to use it and actually have a surface to write on for the day is just to guess my way into the system. 99% of the time it's either staff/teacher/adult/password/name of class/name of school. The number of Heads who've got really alarmed at their staff's IT security when they've popped in to check if I was OK and wondered how I'd got logged in to use the board and been horrified it's so easily guessable is amusing.

And yes the 1973 thing on Wearside is true - I know at least one large employer whose IT department set it as the unlock code for all their devices.

1892 or 1969 if you're a mag. Shearer, Keegan, Newcastle, etc. are all good guesses.

The thing is with Newcastle is all the obvious names are well known. No-one gives a shit about Sunderland outside the North East.

A lad I knew had a taste for Scrumpy Jack cider when he was younger. I figured out fairly quickly his password was "cider1". He'd done the bare minimum to match up with his ISP's minimum password stregth requirements.

He didn't bother changing the password for about six months after I told him I knew it either.

A company I worked for just used the company name followed by !1, !2, !3, etc., then back to !1 when they reached !0. A hacker would have had a field day.

There was also a uni. systems admin who got caught out using his own name followed by a number. He'd been sending out circulars with a list of dos and don'ts regarding passwords too.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the bigger problem is the amount of people who use a universal password for all sites because they struggle to remember them otherwise. One site gets hacked, passwords sold on and the whole packs of cards collapses.
The best thing about the iPad pro is the password function that picks a random password. With face Id and finger print I find this the best option. It's a pain tho cos it's the only apple product I use hahah so trying to remember them on my phone is a nightmare....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back