Part of an aircraft washed up on seaburn beach.

Last edited:
I took a couple of the parts I found to the IWM vintage aircraft team at Duxford. They confirmed they were from a WW2 aircraft. The alloy is called Duralumin an mixes, aluminum, copper, manganese and magnesium. Very light and very hard wearing.
I remember stuff years ago advertised as Dural aluminium, some bits on my bike are made from Ergal aluminium and are still shiny like new even after 22 years of sun, rain and salt.

As requested @lurker. This bit looks almost identical to the piece found by @jimb yesterday. I reckon it could be a cover of some description but it's not thick enough for a pressurized system like the oil cooling system in an engine.
View media item 12299
This bit has green paint on it and looks fire damaged. Could be from the outer skin of the engine nacelle.
View media item 12300
Cheers @Pancho for the IT tip. Everyday is a schoolday!

As requested @lurker. This bit looks almost identical to the piece found by @jimb yesterday. I reckon it could be a cover of some description but it's not thick enough for a pressurized system like the oil cooling system in an engine.
View media item 12299
This bit has green paint on it and looks fire damaged. Could be from the outer skin of the engine nacelle.
View media item 12300
Well done fella.

Uploading images on here is not the most straight forward operation for a novice.

Very interesting pictures as well.

View media item 12299
View media item 12300

Excellent post mate. 👍 Definitely the same.

To answer some of the questions.

I didn't pick it up unfortunately, I might have been tempted if I found it at the end of the dog walk and not at the start. I didn't want to carry a lump of sharp metal around tbh.

If anyone wants to try to collect it (long shot as it's probably gone back out with the tide now). I found it not far from the steps to the beach just before the South end of the little Italy restaurant. If you go right from the steps on the beach about 20 metres it was around there. Might be able to spot it from the path above tbh.

The bit I found was about 30 cm long.

Is this site any help ?

Two went into the sea in 1940. An He-111 was shot down by RAF fighters in August and crashed off Southern Point. Crew survived. A Ju-88 was shot down by HMS Southsea in November just off Whitburn Steel. No survivors.

Souter Point ffs!

I love this post. There's loads of history in Sunderland, from stone age and Saxon finds to Roman and world war 2 finds. Who knows what's yet to be found that we've regularly drove or walked by.

Back