Part of an aircraft washed up on seaburn beach.

Possibly anyway.

Been down there walking the dog this morning and found this with BF307 wrote on it.

What does air crash investigation - SMB branch reckon?. MH370 or just bit of the scrap from an old land rover?.
Almost identical to this one I picked up about 20 years ago. Hope the link works.

https://photos.app.tracking code removed/8dm8LZjrR24XN1m69

That's part of a Luftwaffe aircraft. Two went into the sea in 1940. An He-111 was shot down by RAF fighters in August and crashed off Southern Point. Crew survived. A Ju-88 was shot down by HMS Southsea in November just off Whitburn Steel. No survivors.

Souter Point ffs!

I love stuff like this. there must be more that'll eventually be washed up.

That is the sump guard off my Dads old Morris Minor. I hoyed it at an annoying cocker spaniel on Tuesday.

I missed with the sump but got in in the head a moment later with a Unipart oil filter.

Let me know if you find the oil filter as I will have it back.

Yup. But I grew up on those beaches and have only ever seen this kind of debris further north where I've been picking it up for 20 years.

Doesn't mean it never drifted south; just that I'd never seen it there.

It would have to be a Bf110 as 109s didn't have the range to reach Whitburn. There were definitely 110s over Whitburn and Cleadon during the big raid on 15 Sep 1940, but none recorded as being shot down.
Could be a drop tank
Rudolf Hess on his flight to Britain used Bamburgh Castle as a guise, to send him in his way to Scotland , where he ended up crashing

I often wonder if he flew along the NE Coast until Bamburgh
Could be the drop tank off rudolf Hess!

Last edited:
That is the sump guard off my Dads old Morris Minor. I hoyed it at an annoying cocker spaniel on Tuesday.

I missed with the sump but got in in the head a moment later with a Unipart oil filter.

Let me know if you find the oil filter as I will have it back.
Not possible, Cocker Spaniels arnt annoying at all..

Possibly anyway.

Been down there walking the dog this morning and found this with BF307 wrote on it.

What does air crash investigation - SMB branch reckon?. MH370 or just bit of the scrap from an old land rover?.
How big is it?

Mentions they could be fitted with two 900l drop tanks that look like they could be the same colour! Think it’s a bit off one of those!

Last edited:
Could be a drop tank
Too small and the wrong shape. Drop tanks are 5-6ft long and shaped like a tear drop. These things are about a foot or more across and like a rectangular tray. The one I picked up has BF 167 stamped onto it. I read a report years ago that someone had found a fuel tank liner on the beach north of Latimer's fish shop, but it was never confirmed.

The seabed off Whitburn is limestone reefs with patches of sand. When storms blow, the sea hurls smaller boulders the size of a football around. I reckon the wrecks are wedged in the reefs and are have been coming to bits for a while as the storms batter them. The lighter alloy debris like this gets washed up, but the heavier bits like engines, wheels, mainspars etc will stay where they are.

Hess did ask for the drop tanks to be fitted and jettisoned them whilst zigzagging off Newcastle so it could be something to auction off at bonhams!
Too small and the wrong shape. Drop tanks are 5-6ft long and shaped like a tear drop. These things are about a foot or more across and like a rectangular tray. The one I picked up has BF 167 stamped onto it. I read a report years ago that someone had found a fuel tank liner on the beach north of Latimer's fish shop, but it was never confirmed.

The seabed off Whitburn is limestone reefs with patches of sand. When storms blow, the sea hurls smaller boulders the size of a football around. I reckon the wrecks are wedged in the reefs and are have been coming to bits for a while as the storms batter them. The lighter alloy debris like this gets washed up, but the heavier bits like engines, wheels, mainspars etc will stay where they are.
It looks to be a part of a cylinder or have a curve to it marra I’d say anyway.

Last edited:
I just read an aluminium can in shallow sea water can corrode away in about 1 year, the same can buried in silt at a depth of 300m will last about 50-60 years. A thick piece of aluminium buried in shallow sea water I could easily see surviving since the 1940's.

It looks to be a part of a cylinder or have a curve to it marra I’d say anyway.
Original shapes are hard to tell as the sea batters them with rocks or wedges the bits in the reefs and then bends them. I don't think it's a cylinder, but curve wouldn't be unusual as some parts have to conform to the fuselage our wing outer profile.
I just read an aluminium can in shallow sea water can corrode away in about 1 year, the same can buried in silt at a depth of 300m will last about 50-60 years. A thick piece of aluminium buried in shallow sea water I could easily see surviving since the 1940's.
I took a couple of the parts I found to the IWM vintage aircraft team at Duxford. They confirmed they were from a WW2 aircraft. The alloy is called Duralumin an mixes, aluminum, copper, manganese and magnesium. Very light and very hard wearing.

Original shapes are hard to tell as the sea batters them with rocks or wedges the bits in the reefs and then bends them. I don't think it's a cylinder, but curve wouldn't be unusual as some parts have to conform to the fuselage our wing outer profile.

I took a couple of the parts I found to the IWM vintage aircraft team at Duxford. They confirmed they were from a WW2 aircraft. The alloy is called Duralumin a mixes, aluminum, copper, manganese and magnesium. Very light and very hard wearing.
There’s a group in Denmark that restored a bf110 might be able to identify some of the bits.

Back