Part of an aircraft washed up on seaburn beach.

Possibly anyway.

Been down there walking the dog this morning and found this with BF307 wrote on it.

What does air crash investigation - SMB branch reckon?. MH370 or just bit of the scrap from an old land rover?.
That's part of a Luftwaffe aircraft. Two went into the sea in 1940. An He-111 was shot down by RAF fighters in August and crashed off Southern Point. Crew survived. A Ju-88 was shot down by HMS Southsea in November just off Whitburn Steel. No survivors.
That's part of a Luftwaffe aircraft. Two went into the sea in 1940. An He-111 was shot down by RAF fighters in August and crashed off Southern Point. Crew survived. A Ju-88 was shot down by HMS Southsea in November just off Whitburn Steel. No survivors.
Souter Point ffs!

Last edited:

Souter Point ffs!
How do you know it's part of a luftwaffe aircraft? Would it be that shiney 84 years later?

How do you know it's part of a luftwaffe aircraft? Would it be that shiney 84 years later?
It the material. It's an aluminum alloy which is light as a feather but really strong. It doesn't always oxidize very much either, unless it's been burnt. The embossed stenciling is a dead giveaway as well. It's either the production code or the aircraft or signifies something it covered. There's a hand hold at the top. It might have been a panel covering electrical eqpt etc.

It's been in the water sometimes as well as you can see be the limpets.

I was also born and bread in Whitburn. My mum remembered the day the Heinkel was shot down. I've been picking bits up from Souter Point for years. First I've heard of bits as far south as Seaburn, but I'm not surprised.

It the material. It's an aluminum alloy which is light as a feather but really strong. It doesn't always oxidize very much either, unless it's been burnt. The embossed stenciling is a dead giveaway as well. It's either the production code or the aircraft or signifies something it covered. There's a hand hold at the top. It might have been a panel covering electrical eqpt etc.

It's been in the water sometimes as well as you can see be the limpets.

I was also born and bread in Whitburn. My mum remembered the day the Heinkel was shot down. I've been picking bits up from Souter Point for years. First I've heard of bits as far south as Seaburn, but I'm not surprised.
As far south as seaburn it's about 2 miles tops away debris drifts miles

Bayerische Flugzeugwerke - formed in the 1920s before changing its name to Messerschmitt in 1938. Sounds likely it's from a downed Luftwaffe plane then, maybe a BF109 went into the sea at some point.

I was stopping with some of the wife's family in Cornwall in September last year and the fella took me to see the breakwater in Plymouth. He's obsessed with WW2 history and told me about all the various wrecks down there from the breakwater and all along that part of the coast. There's tons of axis and allied aircraft in the sea along the coast there, so doubt it's any different in a heavily targeted area like Sunderland.

As far south as seaburn it's about 2 miles tops away debris drifts miles
Yup. But I grew up on those beaches and have only ever seen this kind of debris further north where I've been picking it up for 20 years.

Doesn't mean it never drifted south; just that I'd never seen it there.
Bayerische Flugzeugwerke - formed in the 1920s before changing its name to Messerschmitt in 1938. Sounds likely it's from a downed Luftwaffe plane then, maybe a BF109 went into the sea at some point.

I was stopping with some of the wife's family in Cornwall in September last year and the fella took me to see the breakwater in Plymouth. He's obsessed with WW2 history and told me about all the various wrecks down there from the breakwater and all along that part of the coast. There's tons of axis and allied aircraft in the sea along the coast there, so doubt it's any different in a heavily targeted area like Sunderland.
It would have to be a Bf110 as 109s didn't have the range to reach Whitburn. There were definitely 110s over Whitburn and Cleadon during the big raid on 15 Sep 1940, but none recorded as being shot down.

Last edited:

Back