Pallion Shipyards ➡️ World Class Film Studios

The difference is Manchester was already a primary city in the north-west, we are a secondary city in the north-east, the hope is developers look at Sunderland now as a viable area of investment, rather then further development of Newcastle.

The main thing we are going to need in the short term is hotel rooms as from what I can see their is only about 600 beds in Sunderland, and I suspect we are going to need at least another 5 times that when the Film Studio is complete, especially when you see how hard it can be to book a city centre hotel when there is a big show on at the theatre.
I think the Crown Works plans include an on site hotel

My big concern if we don't have enough quality hotel space, people will just stay in Newcastle and no benefit to Sunderland. Even now away fans will head for Newcastle rather than stay in Sunderland although that is slowly changing. The Echo24 building should have been a hotel, similar to Gateshead Hilton. As you say, developers will hopefully see Sunderland as potential. The Northern Spire and road into the city centre, that is massive now, the bridge to nowhere as the knockers would have us belief. Looking forward to the next few years.

Would the Wilkinsons building convert to a hotel?

I would imagine it would cost a canny few pennies to convert and how many rooms to you think it would get maybe 75-100

I’ve recently made similar calculations for how profitable a large building conversion would be for multiple room site/ construction professionals and you don’t break even until you hit £120 per night or over twenty rooms, in which case the start up costs become prohibitive. Not for Sunderland, but also not too far away.

Shame as the market will be saturated very soon and the rates may well be justified, but the cost risk is there until capacity isn’t.

But the Tories are evil. Not the slightest doubt there.
Agreed. Starting with Margaret F Thatcher and her fun and games with Shipyards, Mines and the Falklands, including the unnecessary deaths of those Shipyard staff and other yard workers, deaths of miners and the appalling incompetence of her Falklands idiocy with the unnecessary masses of military deaths. Did she care? Not for a second. Did any of the Tories care? Of course not. Do they care right now about the Post Office shambles? No. Why not? It would mean that they would have to do some real work to fix the appalling and shameless disaster. I bet that no real money is disbursed to the poor souls who have suffered like hell until after the next election at the earliest. I also bet that the sums offered so far will be grossly inadequate as has as already been demonstrated.

It makes me puke.

Can we get this thread back to normal please and take the politics elsewhere? Quite like coming on here and seeing the progress of our city, not arguments about which politician is better than the other 😂
Was another thread on here about Sunderland being a city of the future - anyone know what happened to it? Can’t find it anywhere

Back