Pallion Shipyards ➡️ World Class Film Studios

I know we’ve had a thread on this already but it got merged with another thread about a film studios opening up in Sunniside causing some confusion.

This would be absolutely huge for the city and deserves a lot of attention and support.

You can read the initial Sunderland Echo here:

If you search 22/02373/CLP in the following link you can see the in depth plans.

Its nice that they are retaining the sheds which only date from 1975 and saw just 13 years use. I wonder if they will find money to have a little museum of Doxfords ?

Where are they based?
In general? LA & London and are involved with the University of Sunderland.

They’ve recently hinted a large film studio going up in Sunderland and then this was announced. Although Fulwell73 weren’t included in the news articles about this one they used social media to say ‘Welcome to the Party’.

It remains to be seen whether they’re involved in these studio plans at the Shipyards or whether it’s a separate investment as part of this new ‘Creative Quarter’ the council have planned.

Either way, it all seems inter connected and will be huge if it comes off.

They’ve recently hinted a large film studio going up in Sunderland and then this was announced. Although Fulwell73 weren’t included in the news articles about this one they used social media to say ‘Welcome to the Party’.

It remains to be seen whether they’re involved in these studio plans at the Shipyards or whether it’s a separate investment as part of this new ‘Creative Quarter’ the council have planned.

I do hope I’m wrong but these things in the provinces have the odds against them

Does it?

If the studios offer what's needed, what difference does it make where it is.

There appears to be high demand for studio space with some reports suggest that studio space needs to double, however main limiting factor appears to be availability of crew. This will be acute no doubt in north east where you’d have to import people to support the industry rather than having a dedicated local resource (it will need to be built over time).

Difference with F73 is that they are a production company rather than a studio management company or at least on the face of it, so they can bring the added benefit of actually choosing themselves to produce something locally in Sunderland as well as using connections to attract other productions (hopefully). Think it could be a really important sector for Sunderland which could support a wider culture offer in the city and hopefully attract more students to the uni.

Last edited:
There appears to be high demand for studio space with some reports suggest that studio space needs to double, however main limiting factor appears to be availability of crew. This will be acute no doubt in north east where you’d have to import people to support the industry rather than having a dedicated local resource (it will need to be built over time).

Difference with F73 is that they are a production company rather than a studio management company or at least on the face of it, so they can bring the added benefit of actually choosing themselves to produce something locally in Sunderland as well as using connections to attract other productions (hopefully). Think it could be a really important sector for Sunderland which could support a wider culture offer in the city and hopefully attract more students to the uni.
The trades like electricians and carpenters shouldn't be a problem. There may be other roles filled with locals who had to move abroad returning home to head departments. Whilst some will travel in nit all will.

The trades like electricians and carpenters shouldn't be a problem. There may be other roles filled with locals who had to move abroad returning home to head departments. Whilst some will travel in nit all will.
Lass I went to school with is some sort of sound technician - been to America and all over working on video games, tv shows etc.

I’d imagine she’s be straight in looking for a job here.

Stuff like this needs to be near London sadly.
Cardiff is making a go of it but it’s more tele than fillums
In every industry there are stories of failures. But there are stories of success too.
I don't buy that it has to be near London. Once upon a time yes. Not in this day and age. And if the world doesn't have entrepreneurs and risk takers then we move nowhere.

The government should be right behind this. Stuff like this would be a great story of 'levelling up'. Traditionally London/SE based business north.

It may well not happen but a positive attitude from everyone in Sunderland with local people backing it surely has to help better than negativity.

In every industry there are stories of failures. But there are stories of success too.
I don't buy that it has to be near London. Once upon a time yes. Not in this day and age. And if the world doesn't have entrepreneurs and risk takers then we move nowhere.

The government should be right behind this. Stuff like this would be a great story of 'levelling up'. Traditionally London/SE based business north.

It may well not happen but a positive attitude from everyone in Sunderland with local people backing it surely has to help better than negativity.
Could be that as we're in a poorer area it'd help us. Cheaper cost of living and wages for staff meand cheaper production's until we get known for the job.

Back