Our recruitment from abroad has been really poor

Regarding foreign players it seems to me that they’re not coached as youngsters to track back and to play out from the back. They’re more traditional player’s position wise. When they get to England and have to run an extra 2 miles per game they can’t because they don’t know where to run to. They more or less float in an area and wait for the ball to come forward again. This makes them look lazy at times but I think it’s just lack of knowledge and they’ll soon start to understand that movement is the key to the system we play. They’re young and mailable, and I think they’ll soon start to show why the recruitment team brought them here.
HTL

Regarding foreign players it seems to me that they’re not coached as youngsters to track back and to play out from the back. They’re more traditional player’s position wise. When they get to England and have to run an extra 2 miles per game they can’t because they don’t know where to run to. They more or less float in an area and wait for the ball to come forward again. This makes them look lazy at times but I think it’s just lack of knowledge and they’ll soon start to understand that movement is the key to the system we play. They’re young and mailable, and I think they’ll soon start to show why the recruitment team brought them here.
HTL

Aye, the French, Germans, Italians, and Spanish really lack footballing knowledge and are lazy as f#ck mate. Piss poor them lot!

HTL
I'd say the younger ones are less physical and their fitness tends to be at a lower level.Burstow like Bellingham hit the ground running, the oversea players not so much.

You are picking numbers out of thin air matey. How many minutes has mayenda played? 60. Yet you are writing him off. Rusyn, semedo, Auchiche around 200-300. Again in the OP you write them off.

Grow up

What f***ing question do you keep banging on about because frankly, your posts are a blur of emojis and nonsense.

I’ve made negative posts on this thread and others, Ive just watched football long enough to know not to write a player off after less than 300 minutes of football ffs. Because they aren’t starting doesn’t mean they are poor. Look at Pritchard, Mowbray would rather play Dack who has been poor. But still has time to improve as he has rarely featured.

I bet you didn’t mind the foreign lads against Norwich or brum
Hume, Rusyn, Auchiche, mayenda, triantis, all contributed to those wins.

Mind I’m being silly, this thread would never have been posted after a win would it?

Do you not think it’s acceptable to criticise when almost 3 months into a season non of the 4 strikers that have been signed over the summer have scored a single goal between them ? The reason the manager keeps chopping and changing them is because he doesn’t think any are the answer.

What an absolutely tragic thread this is by the way. No surprise who the OP is, and the thread coming straight after a loss. Shock.

To give some actual perspective on the foreign lads we've signed since being promoted to The Championship:

21/22:
Jewison Bennette:
Signed when he was 18, with the prospect of playing first team football in the future(!). Didn't speak a word of English, still struggles with the language. Consistently plays for his country despite his young age. Moved across the world to one of the most competitive leagues in the world, yet still looks half decent in his limited cameos when he doesn't play for the u21s. Takes the piss in the U21's, by the way.
Leon Dajaku: Had to sign him based on a clause in his contract based on if we got promoted. A promotion in which he played a massive part in too, playing 22 games. Nowhere near good enough for The Champuionship.
Edouard Michut: Did a fairly decent job on loan despite being in his teens. Decent enough for a fair few posters to get excited on here when his name popped up in the transfer rumours. 24 games in a critical position for us as we made the playoffs in our first season back in the Championship.
Isaac Lihadji: Well known that he was sold for a profit. What's not to like about that? I'd take 400 Isaac Lihadji's and sell him on for a profit if possible, please.

22/23:
Worth noting it's still very early in the season, Diallo looked not got enough at this point last season.
Nazariy Rusyn: Looked good in his very limited appearances, getting an assist and almost scoring if it wasn't for the woodwork. Time will tell, but I think he'll be alright. His runs out wide, work rate, and pace are very Ross Stewart-esque.
Jenson Seelt: Looked Brilliant vs Birmingham in his first start in a 3-1 win. Struggle to pick too many faults in his debut in English football. Was actually surprised to see O'Nien (despite being our captain) replace him instantly on his return from suspension, which just about sums up how comfortable he looked.
Eliezer Mayenda: 18 years of age and played just as many minutes of football for us. In those limited minutes he's looked really exciting. What's not to like?
Luis Semedo: 20 years old. Has looked sheepish, and probably the only player of the entire list that I can accept as a bit of a let down. Even then, he's only 20.
Timothy Pembele: Injured. Highly rated.
Adil Aouchiche: Class. Genuinely think he's one of our best players. Can't wait for him to start starting games.
Nectarios Triantis: Grew into his debut, so much so he had a very important hand in one of the goals. Very promising.

Of all the above, I only see Semedo as the only player who might be seen as a poor signing, yet he's only 20. Who else, and why?

Last edited:
Do you not think it’s acceptable to criticise when almost 3 months into a season non of the 4 strikers that have been signed over the summer have scored a single goal between them ? The reason the manager keeps chopping and changing them is because he doesn’t think any are the answer.
I do, but the idea that was being put forward heee was that domestically all our transfers have been class but the foreign recruitment has been shite. The reason we are changing strikers is because bairstow hasn’t been good enough, and he was domestic. His replacements in Rusyn and Mayenda simply cannot be written off on the value of their collective 300 minutes of football it’s absurd.
What an absolutely tragic thread this is by the way. No surprise who the OP is, and the thread coming straight after a loss. Shock.

To give some actual perspective on the foreign lads we've signed since being promoted to The Championship:

21/22:
Jewison Bennette:
Signed when he was 18, with the prospect of playing first team football in the future(!). Didn't speak a word of English, still struggles with the language. Consistently plays for his country despite his young age. Moved across the world to one of the most competitive leagues in the world, yet still looks half decent in his limited cameos when he doesn't play for the u21s. Takes the piss in the U21's, by the way.
Leon Dajaku: Had to sign him based on a clause in his contract based on if we got promoted. A promotion in which he played a massive part in too, playing 22 games. Nowhere near good enough for The Champuionship.
Edouard Michut: Did a fairly decent job on loan despite being in his teens. Decent enough for a fair few posters to get excited on here when his name popped up in the transfer rumours. 24 games in a critical position for us as we made the playoffs in our first season back in the Championship.
Isaac Lihadji: Well known that he was sold for a profit. What's not to like about that? I'd take 400 Isaac Lihadji's and sell him on for a profit if possible, please.

22/23:
Worth noting it's still very early in the season, Diallo looked not got enough at this point last season.
Nazariy Rusyn: Looked good in his very limited appearances, getting an assist and almost scoring if it wasn't for the woodwork. Time will tell, but I think he'll be alright. His runs out wide, work rate, and pace are very Ross Stewart-esque.
Jenson Seelt: Looked Brilliant vs Birmingham in his first start in a 3-1 win. Struggle to pick too many faults in his debut in English football. Was actually surprised to see O'Nien (despite being our captain) replace him instantly on his return from suspension, which just about sums up how comfortable he looked.
Eliezer Mayenda: 18 years of age and played just as many minutes of football for us. In those limited minutes he's looked really exciting. What's not to like?
Luis Semedo: 20 years old. Has looked sheepish, and probably the only player of the entire list that I can accept as a bit of a let down. Even then, he's only 20.
Timothy Pembele: Injured. Highly rated.
Adil Aouchiche: Class. Genuinely think he's one of our best players. Can't wait for him to start starting games.
Nectarios Triantis: Grew into his debut, so much so he had a very important hand in one of the goals. Very promising.

Of all the above, I only see Semedo as the only player who might be seen as a poor signing, yet he's only 20. Who else, and why?
Finally a bit of sense.

Last edited:
Dajaku wasn't the right fit.
Agreed. Dajaku is playing canny for Hadjuk, top of the Croatian league and living in the stunning city of Split with a gorgeous girlfriend.

He may not have pulled up any trees for Sunderland but he's still making a canny career for himself so good luck to him.

I do, but the idea that was being put forward heee was that domestically all our transfers have been class but the foreign recruitment has been shite. The reason we are changing strikers is because bairstow hasn’t been good enough, and he was domestic. His replacements in Rusyn and Mayenda simply cannot be written off on the value of their collective 300 minutes of football it’s absurd.

Finally a bit of sense.

At what point did I say all of our domestic business has been successful. The majority of it certainly has.

At no point have a I said where we are at is average either, I’m over the moon with the overall progress.

However that doesn’t mean that I can’t point out flaws. The two most obvious to me is our reluctance to sign a proven striker and a defensive midfielder that we are clearly crying out for, and also the fact we haven’t done brilliantly non domestically.

It really isn’t out of the question to expect 1 of 13 signings to be a guaranteed starter in our team. Given the allowance for time and adopting to our culture, even if 1 in 5, would be decent going, but the fact is, 1 of them started on Saturday.

The over riding point is, you can have this discussion away from this place. I’ve sat in the same seat in the SOL for around 20 years and know the majority of people around me. There’s negative people, happy clappers, and balanced fans. However unanimously you can have a conversation about what’s going well or any negatives and have a decent natter about it.

The second you do it on here, people fall over themselves to call fanny or say it’s because we’ve been beat. Absolutely nothing wrong with the original poster saying or wanting to discuss how our recruitment hasn’t been as good non domestically but bang, instantly he’s slated.

Our recruitment from abroad hasn’t been poor. It’s the fact we have a manager that doesn’t want to integrate them into the squad as he’d much rather rely on English has beens such as Bradley Dack.

Every other club that recruits from abroad manages well with it.

Starting to agree with the OP. Our summer recruitment looks horrendous atm. Speakman should be questioned on it. We’ve signed 4 strikers and none of them can score. Seelt was utter shit tonight, could barely pass the ball 5 yards.

Huge regression from last season.

Load of shite.

What about now?
Here come the same knackers writing the same boring shite when we lose.

What about now?
It can only be ineffective if they are being selected and we are losing most of who you mentioned don't even get a start, maybe if they did they might be a little bit more effective

What about now?
This place is minging if we dare lose 🤣
Less than 10 year ago we were paying 8 million for the likes of Dilibogi (sp)

What about now?
Man up, knicker soaked, tearful, block paragraph writing, thick as pig shit sounding, uber flange.

I disagree with every single word in your post.

What about now?
same old tedious posts after a defeat. Most of those lads have had 4-5 games at the most in English football. Robert’s is out of form, ekwah has came back shite, Ballard and 09 were shit yesterday. Whole team need to improve and some of these lads need time in the team
Mowbray has fucked Hemir and totally mis-managed him. Rusyn will be the next fall guy because he hasn’t scored a hattrick yet.

we won’t be going up this year for a number of reasons, but on here it’s always the same tedious old line

Win = we are class
Lose = recruitment and/or Model is to blame

Will take time but people won’t have that anymore and everything has to be now

What about now?
You are picking numbers out of thin air matey. How many minutes has mayenda played? 60. Yet you are writing him off. Rusyn, semedo, Auchiche around 200-300. Again in the OP you write them off.

Grow up

What f***ing question do you keep banging on about because frankly, your posts are a blur of emojis and nonsense.

I’ve made negative posts on this thread and others, Ive just watched football long enough to know not to write a player off after less than 300 minutes of football ffs. Because they aren’t starting doesn’t mean they are poor. Look at Pritchard, Mowbray would rather play Dack who has been poor. But still has time to improve as he has rarely featured.

I bet you didn’t mind the foreign lads against Norwich or brum
Hume, Rusyn, Auchiche, mayenda, triantis, all contributed to those wins.

Mind I’m being silly, this thread would never have been posted after a win would it?

how about now?

Last edited:
What about now?

What about now?

What about now?

What about now?

What about now?

What about now?

how about now?
I stand by Rusyn not getting enough game time. And I stand by the fact I won’t chuck a player under the bus after 2 games.

But you obviously just want to score points on a message board

Back