Origin of Sunderland - Is this true?

Status
Not open for further replies.

A few Newcastle fans are posting this as fact on Facebook, is it actually true? I thought the "asunder" part of Sunderland was reference to the valley carved by the River Wear. Anyone know more about this before I put a hole in their story.

When King George gave Newcastle the shipping rights for coal as reward of our good work defending borders for the crown against the marauding scots......it took a town of scum to side with the invaders of the northlands to try and usurp the geordie loyalists by inviting them into the river wear and siding with the wild men to invade from the south. The battle of Boldon was fought and won by georges men. The Scots and their newly associated vermin friends were sent packing. The townsfolk who betrayed England were ostracised for treason....forever cast 'ASUNDER'.....a new town was born. Sunderland. You betrayed your king and country.

2-0 to Sunderland.
And Sunderland was around a long time before that, you might want to ask the arseholes where Newcastle was before the Norman invasion, it didn't exist.
It was formed to help with the divide of Northumbria after the people of Durham massacred the Normans.
In return they sent thousands of men to divide the area, with the creation of a new castle.
They are immigrants to the region.

And before the thick ***** mention Pons Aelius , that was an outpost and a bridge, not a settlement, Sunderland has been a settlement since prehistoric times.

The name's Anglo Saxon, so it's over a thousand years old.

The Battle of Boldon was a skirmish not a battle, which neither side won or lost.

The Battle of Boldon Hill, which Sunderland won and occupied the city of Newcastle for over 2 years.
:neutral::neutral::neutral:
Aye.

bongo said:
The Battle of Boldon Hill, which Sunderland won and occupied the city of Newcastle for over 2 years.
:neutral::neutral::neutral:
Aye.

It was a brief skirmish in heavy snow, which neither side won. A Scots any under General Leslie besieged and then occupied Newcastle, nobody from Sunderland was involved.

Your history is as shite as ever.

A few Newcastle fans are posting this as fact on Facebook, is it actually true? I thought the "asunder" part of Sunderland was reference to the valley carved by the River Wear. Anyone know more about this before I put a hole in their story.

When King George gave Newcastle the shipping rights for coal as reward of our good work defending borders for the crown against the marauding scots......it took a town of scum to side with the invaders of the northlands to try and usurp the geordie loyalists by inviting them into the river wear and siding with the wild men to invade from the south. The battle of Boldon was fought and won by georges men. The Scots and their newly associated vermin friends were sent packing. The townsfolk who betrayed England were ostracised for treason....forever cast 'ASUNDER'.....a new town was born. Sunderland. You betrayed your king and country.

Put a hole in their story by pointing out that the combined forces of Newcastle and Durham lost the battle of Boldon Hill and were driven from the battle field only to have Newcastle occupied/ruled by Sunderland for the following 2 years.

Durham has always sided with newcastle throughout history

It was a brief skirmish in heavy snow, which neither side won. A Scots any under General Leslie besieged and then occupied Newcastle, nobody from Sunderland was involved.

Your history is as shite as ever.

Not true - the geordies and durhamtonians ran away

Put a hole in their story by pointing out that the combined forces of Newcastle and Durham lost the battle of Boldon Hill and were driven from the battle field only to have Newcastle occupied/ruled by Sunderland for the following 2 years.

Durham has always sided with newcastle throughout history

Was Sunderland not part of Durham in the old days?

We wupped them at the Battle of Boldon:cool:

Boris Bear said:

There was nobody from Newcastle or Sunderland involved in the Battle of Boldon Hill. It was a brief skirmish between a Royalist army from Nottingham, and an army of Scots.

Last edited:
Clearly not

It was your use of "durhamtonians" that threw me off the scent, however I don't apologise for asking the question of how Sunderland, much like Gaul stood up when surrounded which you did not answer so I can only presume we must thank fuck for Getafix.

I remember being taught in history at school that Sunder was an old name for Sunday which was the day that Sunderland was founded. It means Sunday-land.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back