Origin of Sunderland - Is this true?

Status
Not open for further replies.

:lol:NEWCASTLE.."nuke-astle"...a waste land north of the city of sunderland, occupied by wierd fuck wits, with a perchant for wearing "trackies", and gannin to the "toon". named after the small nuclear bomb dropped on it in 1644 during the CIVIL WAR , thus killing its king, Rickus Astleyus, and thus letting all the electric down the pipes yet again to the rest of the country. this happened on A SUNDA, (old english for thursday) hence the name...:roll::lol::lol:

I once saw an explaination for the origins of 'Geordie' which was something along the lines of, when George III went mental, the people of Newcastle were that thick & stupid, people would say those Novocastians are as stupid as King Geordie. Then the name stuck.

And remains true to this day
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/odd/news/a431702/sunderland-is-uks-brainiest-city.html

The final series of a well know comedy was set in Newcastle. Blackadder Gosforth.

prior to 1974, Gosforth was its own town in Northumberland.

99% of Englishmen wouldn't touch unbiased professional journalist Dawn Thewlis with a barge pole but 87% of Scots wood .

A few Newcastle fans are posting this as fact on Facebook, is it actually true? I thought the "asunder" part of Sunderland was reference to the valley carved by the River Wear. Anyone know more about this before I put a hole in their story.

When King George gave Newcastle the shipping rights for coal as reward of our good work defending borders for the crown against the marauding scots......it took a town of scum to side with the invaders of the northlands to try and usurp the geordie loyalists by inviting them into the river wear and siding with the wild men to invade from the south. The battle of Boldon was fought and won by georges men. The Scots and their newly associated vermin friends were sent packing. The townsfolk who betrayed England were ostracised for treason....forever cast 'ASUNDER'.....a new town was born. Sunderland. You betrayed your king and country.

Erm, the Battle of Boldon Hill was a skirmish and Newcastle lost. :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back