Origin of Sunderland - Is this true?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eddie1987

Central Defender
A few Newcastle fans are posting this as fact on Facebook, is it actually true? I thought the "asunder" part of Sunderland was reference to the valley carved by the River Wear. Anyone know more about this before I put a hole in their story.

When King George gave Newcastle the shipping rights for coal as reward of our good work defending borders for the crown against the marauding scots......it took a town of scum to side with the invaders of the northlands to try and usurp the geordie loyalists by inviting them into the river wear and siding with the wild men to invade from the south. The battle of Boldon was fought and won by georges men. The Scots and their newly associated vermin friends were sent packing. The townsfolk who betrayed England were ostracised for treason....forever cast 'ASUNDER'.....a new town was born. Sunderland. You betrayed your king and country.

I dare say that has a slight pro Newcastle spin put on it

A few Newcastle fans are posting this as fact on Facebook, is it actually true? I thought the "asunder" part of Sunderland was reference to the valley carved by the River Wear. Anyone know more about this before I put a hole in their story.

When King George gave Newcastle the shipping rights for coal as reward of our good work defending borders for the crown against the marauding scots......it took a town of scum to side with the invaders of the northlands to try and usurp the geordie loyalists by inviting them into the river wear and siding with the wild men to invade from the south. The battle of Boldon was fought and won by georges men. The Scots and their newly associated vermin friends were sent packing. The townsfolk who betrayed England were ostracised for treason....forever cast 'ASUNDER'.....a new town was born. Sunderland. You betrayed your king and country.

What a load of shite.

Sunder means cut in half/broken apart. We are a land cut in half by the river. A Sundered Land. Sunderland. Mags are thick fucks. It all adds up.

..........and you believed that

Utter crap.

We discussed the origins of the name on here a few weeks ago:

Sunderland means ‘detached land, a land detached from part of an estate’, and comes from the Old English ‘sundor-land’. The ‘original’ Sunderland occupied the small corner of land on the south bank of the River Wear. It may be a land ‘sundered from’, but still owned by, the monastery of Monkwearmouth over the river, or perhaps it was the only land not owned by the church - and thus private.

Didn't believe it, I knew the name dated back way before that. Just wanted some facts to reply with and make them look stupid, rather than just saying it was a load of rubbish.

They're called newcastle, because every year, they get a brand new castle as well mate.

Didn't believe it, I knew the name dated back way before that. Just wanted some facts to reply with and make them look stupid, rather than just saying it was a load of rubbish.

The name's Anglo Saxon, so it's over a thousand years old.

The Battle of Boldon was a skirmish not a battle, which neither side won or lost.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back