One out one in is how its going to be

Status
Not open for further replies.

Such a big squad yet lacking
A. A truly fearsome robust centre back
B. A commanding physical central midfielder
C. A pacy player that can link strikers to midfield

3 things we clearly lacked last season but still haven’t addressed. Willis is a good signing, if we intend to play 4 at the back or 5 at the back though we need a monster of a centre back to play alongside him. He has the pace required at the back to shore up.
Thats correct, but he does still have to move some out. 20 and youth lads is enough

With a couple of good strikers I’d be confident of going up - Grigg should come good, based on his record. Not sure at all about Wyke. Need Kimpioka to come good at present.

The whole one in one out thing is necessary as has been detailed in some good pieces put out this week. And it’s prudent from a squad size perspective too.

Ideally the likes of Oviedo, Loovens, Wyke and Baldwin among others will be moved on in the next couple of weeks.

Thing is. We're going to shift Oviedo so that Hume is first choice when we've shown nothing from him? He'll have no competition unless we sign another LB but then we should have just kept Reece James

lol. This replacing stuff is getting nuts.

He wants a squad he wants and wont bring 4 or 5 in and keep all bodies from last season. No way will he want 24 or so players and then youth lads.

Putting blind faith in the likes of Embleton and Robson is a risk we can’t take.

It's not blind faith, it's an assessment of their ability.

And signing even a 'proven player' carries as much risk ... Will Grigg guarantees goals. Except he hasn't so far.

Neither of them is the only player in their position. Robson has Leadbitter, Power, McGeouch, O'Nien, Honeyman for competition. With a couple of other young'uns like Summat and Mumba on the fringes.

But don't get me wrong, I think we need another CM with more pace and stature if we can get one. But if we do, I'm suggesting we could afford to lose more than one.

I think he will go back in for Morgan tbh, Celtic could well have 25 million burning a hole in their pocket by selling Tierney, Morgan could find it hard to make their bench.

Yeah maybe. I'd say they need another striker regardless . Don't think 2 is enough. Not sure what they'll do with the wingers now Watmore is fit.

It's not blind faith, it's an assessment of their ability.

And signing even a 'proven player' carries as much risk ... Will Grigg guarantees goals. Except he hasn't so far.

Neither of them is the only player in their position. Robson has Leadbitter, Power, McGeouch, O'Nien, Honeyman for competition. With a couple of other young'uns like Summat and Mumba on the fringes.

But don't get me wrong, I think we need another CM with more pace and stature if we can get one. But if we do, I'm suggesting we could afford to lose more than one.

Yeah it's not blind faith but at the same time you had the 2 players available last year and they weren't considered, both shipped out on loan.

Just got to hope that they respond this year and develop as we provide the platform to do so. Both players easily could but suppose it is a gamble to an extent if you're passing on guaranteed quality in the transfer market.

I think it's the right route to go down for these 2 lads but got to be careful at the same time, A lot of pressure of the lads & the manager needs to hit the ground running.

This. the squad's too big anyway. Ross says he wants around 20, plus a few U-23s in and around the first team. It's more about numbers and wages than transfer fees.
This is my concern. It feels like Ross has had a few signings forced on him when he’s said on more than one occasion he wanted a smaller squad. From what he’s said this summer he’s identified what we need but it’s looking less likely we’ll be able to do it as we’re stuck with players. Initially we did need to bring in numbers as we were clearly short but a lot of the signings we’ve made simply weren’t good enough and have done nothing but bloat the squad.

Is one of the ones they are trying to ship out - he's one of the high earners (plus not very good)

TBH I think his team will be trying to get him out too.

Gabbiadini (quantum sport) is his agent and I always got the sense that they'd move him on. He was basically saying on the phone in last year that if he was fit he'd have left and it's a short career etc.

Probably play one up front Wyke or grigg sign a young third striker then have benji and watmore

Aye forgot about Benji. If we're going to have loads of kids surrounding the first team then we're pushing it though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well Ross has said the squad is not too top heavy. He's implied that he is getting the one in/one out direction from above, so speculating that he wants a smaller squad seems wide of the mark.

I have no objection to free transfers, but we need to weaken our competitors and bully our way out of this as we have done with Willis. It's no good just taking players who other clubs have let go or aren't breaking the bank to keep.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back