One out one in is how its going to be

Can't judge too quickly but I do wonder if the owners will end up regretting making that statement. Its piled the pressure on in the sense that everyone now knows, beyond any doubt, that Ross is expected to win the league. That's all well and good but, from January onwards, we were only on course for 76 points so we were a long way short.

I'd like to think that we've improved the defence; Willis seems decent, hopefully better than Dunne, and McLaughlin seems okay, we've lost Matthews who didn't play much. We've swapped reserve keepers, which shouldn't make much difference. In midfield we've lost Morgan and Cattermole, and up top we're the same (lost Sterling, but that's hardly a blow).

On the whole I don't think we're any weaker than last season at present, but that's still a long way off having a side we can be confident of reaching, or even challenging for, 100 points. If it is to be one out one in we've got our work cut out to get players shifted because we absolutely need fresh blood. So far it's minor tweaks rather than any real influx of quality, publicly targeting a points total which pretty much involves blowing the rest of the league away is an odd one if you aren't confident of bringing real quality in. Maybe they are, or maybe they're just supremely confident in Ross, but currently I wouldn't personally be expecting more than play offs again, absolutely vital we shift Oviedo (preferably without paying so much of his contract up that we don't get much of a saving)

With a couple of good strikers I’d be confident of going up - Grigg should come good, based on his record. Not sure at all about Wyke. Need Kimpioka to come good at present.

The whole one in one out thing is necessary as has been detailed in some good pieces put out this week. And it’s prudent from a squad size perspective too.

Ideally the likes of Oviedo, Loovens, Wyke and Baldwin among others will be moved on in the next couple of weeks.

The manager said that we won't be going out and splashing cash so I would think that puts any thought of signing Maddison to bed considering what Posh want for him.

Could be a bluff like but I get the feeling Ross is telling it how it is.

Three Center Backs and wing backs i believe Oviedo will be one of the top players for us i feel next year. Just think flat back 4 dont suit him....watch the fecker fly man :lol:

Oviedo going would get a few in

In theory, but the reality is it wouldn't.

I know we can't carry his wage but on the basis that he actually has ability I can't for the life of me see why so many want him to go asap. Did they see a sudden splurge in the transfer market when Catts left to suggest it would happen if Oviedo leaves? When Matthews and Love left both on decent amounts we got one player in for each.

In theory, but the reality is it wouldn't.

I know we can't carry his wage but on the basis that he actually has ability I can't for the life of me see why so many want him to go asap. Did they see a sudden splurge in the transfer market when Catts left to suggest it would happen if Oviedo leaves? When Matthews and Love left both on decent amounts we got one player in for each.
Different with cattermole we were over loaded with midfielders

The manager said that we won't be going out and splashing cash so I would think that puts any thought of signing Maddison to bed considering what Posh want for him.

Could be a bluff like but I get the feeling Ross is telling it how it is.

We'll sign one or two for money regardless, but people are dreaming with Maddison. It simply isn't on.

Different with cattermole we were over loaded with midfielders

I don't think it is. You could say were overloaded with centre backs, that we have enough attacking options etc if you add all them up and see who can cover what role. it doesn't mean they're good enough or that there's adequate cover, just like losing Catts.

There's no way we'll move Oviedo on and bring in several players with that wage.

Last edited:
Oh no, there's been far too much positivity in the last week, lets start having a bit twist.Jesus christ, couple of friendlies and nee idea who's leaving or coming in but let's have a bit moan anyway.

With a couple of good strikers I’d be confident of going up - Grigg should come good, based on his record. Not sure at all about Wyke. Need Kimpioka to come good at present.

The whole one in one out thing is necessary as has been detailed in some good pieces put out this week. And it’s prudent from a squad size perspective too.

Ideally the likes of Oviedo, Loovens, Wyke and Baldwin among others will be moved on in the next couple of weeks.

It's still the midfield I'm most worried about tbh, we were incredibly uncreative last season. We were fortunate that Maja was mint at finding space and pretty much didn't miss but when he left we really suffered. Grigg was poor, but we weren't playing much into him, we weren't even giving Wyke the kind of service he'd like. Not sure another striker would do much better, if we improve the supply line we might be fine with what we've got up top.

Definitely need to lose Oviedo and a centre back, although that might be easier said than done. Hopefully if we don't go for the likes of Maddison we might manage to get someone good in on loan, someone with a bit of quality that we're currently lacking. Last season our loans were dreadful but there were obviously good ones out there, get a success and that should be us up

The other complication is that we're looking like switching formation to 3-5-2 or 3-4-1-2. That changes the make-up of what we need.

More strikers if two up front. More CBs if three are playing at a time.

Less wingers/fullbacks as we'll only be playing 2 wingbacks rather than 2 fullbacks + 2 wide forwards.

We're top heavy in certain positions anyway. Like CM. We need a few out. Good thing is we have seem to have some good young-uns stepping up e.g. Embleton, Robson.

Need to lose 4 or 5 then yet.

Loovens out Heneghan in
Oviedo out left back in
Robson out Dobson in
Watmore out new winger in

That’s a bare minimum for me.

The other complication is that we're looking like switching formation to 3-5-2 or 3-4-1-2. That changes the make-up of what we need.

More strikers if two up front. More CBs if three are playing at a time.

Less wingers/fullbacks as we'll only be playing 2 wingbacks rather than 2 fullbacks + 2 wide forwards.

We're top heavy in certain positions anyway. Like CM. We need a few out. Good thing is we have seem to have some good young-uns stepping up e.g. Embleton, Robson.
Putting blind faith in the likes of Embleton and Robson is a risk we can’t take.

This. the squad's too big anyway. Ross says he wants around 20, plus a few U-23s in and around the first team. It's more about numbers and wages than transfer fees.
Such a big squad yet lacking
A. A truly fearsome robust centre back
B. A commanding physical central midfielder
C. A pacy player that can link strikers to midfield

3 things we clearly lacked last season but still haven’t addressed. Willis is a good signing, if we intend to play 4 at the back or 5 at the back though we need a monster of a centre back to play alongside him. He has the pace required at the back to shore up.

Back