omeprazole, Pantoprazol etc

Been on Lansoprazole for about 7 or 8 years. Went doctors a few weeks ago and got a stern telling off from the doctor for taking too many at a time. Needed about 2 or 3 to have any effect.

Now been prescribed Esomeprazole.

So in hindsight could you have taken any kind of supplement (magnesium tablets etc) to prevent these issues and still continue taking ppi?
Supplements are no good for me as I have Crohn's with a stoma and short bowel syndrome and they basically make things worse but they may have made a difference a few years ago if they had kept an eye on things. Needing to have magnesium infusions every couple of months at the moment

I advise you to try to ween yourself off them.
The best advice I was given was to have a banana and a yoghurt every morning to manage the acid reflux, I had lots of side effects with Omeprezol. It increased my blood pressure so I needed extra tablets to manage that, then the headaches that I had to take paracetamol for.
drinking an actimel first thing every day made a difference for me

I take omeprazole every day , if I drop it for a couple of days the heartburn is brutal. No side effects that I know of.
Also take Tamsulosin , one of its side effects is pretty awful although am not going to name it, anyone else on this drug will know what I mean.

Been on Esomeprazole for 5 years, after being Omeprazole for about 6 years. The latter started giving me headaches, but feel great now on my new prescription.

Compared the terrible symptoms people can get from heartburn or reflux (reflux when you are sleeping is absolutely horrible, you wake up choking on acid, and then you have to deal with hours of - basically waterboarding - while things settle down), the side effects of PPIs are probably minor.

There's a lot out there about long term negatives, but not a lot of solid proof. That said, taking any pills for the long term isn't usually a great idea.
I weaned off them 2 years back with a new diet, eating lots and lots of plants (not cutting out meat entirely, just trying to get lots of varies plant fibres into me). It totally cured all my issues and I was able to slowly come off the PPIs (coming off PPIs is very very hard, read "PPI rebound" for more info).

But then various health issues and lack of time for the healthy eating, I've gone backwards and I'm popping the PPIs again these days. Annoyingly.

I avoid heavily processed meat and cheese, and tinned products.
Fray Bentos is the demon similar to the snake in the garden of Eden.

I loved those pies and puddings, but boy did they have repercussions.

I don't take Omeprazole regularly but it does wonders before and after a drinking session. I'm currently away for the weekend and forgot to bring my pack and I could certainly tell the difference this morning.

Last edited:
I take omeprazole every day , if I drop it for a couple of days the heartburn is brutal. No side effects that I know of.
Also take Tamsulosin , one of its side effects is pretty awful although am not going to name it, anyone else on this drug will know what I mean.
On tamsulosin and have no idea what your side effects are, don’t suffer any at all tbh. On lanzoprazole too, one a day and no bother, i have to say though i’ve been getting very light headed / dizzy in the last couple of weeks, just watching tv etc, it’s like motion sickness. Maybe i need to talk to the docs.

I don't take Omeprazole regularly but it does wonders before and after a drinking session. I'm currently away for the weekend and forgot to bring my pack and I could certainly tell the difference this morning.
Bit late but Boots sell over the counter now.

On tamsulosin and have no idea what your side effects are, don’t suffer any at all tbh. On lanzoprazole too, one a day and no bother, i have to say though i’ve been getting very light headed / dizzy in the last couple of weeks, just watching tv etc, it’s like motion sickness. Maybe i need to talk to the docs.
I've been getting that since I started taking them, just sitting there watching TV and dizzy as fuck.

Back