omeprazole, Pantoprazol etc

Hidden side effect is low sodium levels. I take omepeazole when I know I am going to have a greasy breakfast.
I was being investigated for low sodium when the consultant warned me against them, also my blood pressure pills screws with your sodium level the doctor wasn't happy when I told her I was on them aswell.

Anyone else take these acid reducing drugs? Been on them a couple of weeks now, just read that people can end up taking them for years and years but the side effects look pretty grim.
Been on lansoprazole for about 20 years
( I have Barretts oesophagus) never had a issue with them personally

I was originally prescribed lanzoprazole but they really REALLY didn’t agree with me.
I’ve since been on Omeprazole since 2021 and no problems with them.

I’ve been on them for a couple of decades til last April when I was hospitalised with dangerously low magnesium and kidney injury , switched to famotidine.

Still having issues with hypomagnesia like so damage is done

Work in healthcare and PPIs are really common amongst most of the patients’ medication, usually due to a poor diet. I take esomeprazole once in a while if I’m going to be drinking a lot or having a greasy meal.

Last edited:
They made me dizzy & lightheaded. Decided to change my lifestyle, mainly diet and now I don’t need them.
This is the key like . I was on them for a few years then decided to make changes . Eat about 2/3 of the portion i did , dont eat after 6, keep off pastry, loads of bread and the bevvy. Sounds limiting but its just common sense really .
Ill throw one down when i know I'll be having a session or on the rare occasion i come unstuck grabbing a pie on the run

Anyone else take these acid reducing drugs? Been on them a couple of weeks now, just read that people can end up taking them for years and years but the side effects look pretty grim.
I advise you to try to ween yourself off them.
The best advice I was given was to have a banana and a yoghurt every morning to manage the acid reflux, I had lots of side effects with Omeprezol. It increased my blood pressure so I needed extra tablets to manage that, then the headaches that I had to take paracetamol for.

I’ve tried them all and none of them work for me 🙄

I’ve been on them for a couple of decades til last April when I was hospitalised with dangerously low magnesium and kidney injury , switched to famotidine.

Still having issues with hypomagnesia like so damage is done
So in hindsight could you have taken any kind of supplement (magnesium tablets etc) to prevent these issues and still continue taking ppi?

Back