Old men rock stars

Elvis Costello,
Good shout. In his young and hungry days he just used to rattle through a set with barely a word. He matured into a fine musician who was as easy going as you'd want on a stage. Having been around the block a couple of times suits him.

I remember watching Aerosmith and thinking about Steve Tyler - the amount of hard drugs you took you should be dead, you bastard and there you are doing handstands. I suppose the show I saw was much better than a lot of the shows in their pomp.

Sometimes I think that rock stars are like old boxers. Always one more fight left in them. Addictive.

Good shout. In his young and hungry days he just used to rattle through a set with barely a word. He matured into a fine musician who was as easy going as you'd want on a stage. Having been around the block a couple of times suits him.

I remember watching Aerosmith and thinking about Steve Tyler - the amount of hard drugs you took you should be dead, you bastard and there you are doing handstands. I suppose the show I saw was much better than a lot of the shows in their pomp.

Sometimes I think that rock stars are like old boxers. Always one more fight left in them. Addictive.

Keef is still the king in that respect. Have you seen his hands? his knuckles are so big he must be riddled with arthritis. I think his left hand is actually set into the shape of gripping a guitar neck.

Mind, I'll be bloody annoyed if he outlives me!

Cheats a lot though. Usually plays a 5 string tele tuned to a version of open g

You and I posted simultaneously about him just now after my original post of yonks ago!

That's new info to me and confirms my theory about his hand being set ! :)

Last edited:
Geddy Lee’s voice started to go after 30 years of Rush.
Whilst you made allowances due to the music and continuation of the band you have to accept a band at its prime.

Geddy Lee’s voice started to go after 30 years of Rush.
Whilst you made allowances due to the music and continuation of the band you have to accept a band at its prime.

I'm surprised that it lasted at all. When you watch stuff from those early days he really belted it out and they were always on the road back then. The man must have grown calluses on his vocal chords.

Last edited:
I'm surprised that it lasted at all. When you watch stuff from those early days he really belted that stuff out and they were always on the road back then. The man must have grown calluses on his vocal chords.

Just great to follow a band and music from school to an adult.
A musical DNA with tracks reminding me of so many times both good and bad.
What a cracking live band.

Unfortunately i didnt Mick, wife is not well at the moment. Really disappointed i missed it..

How was it ?
That`s a shame. I hope she`s OK. The gig was great and the turnout was pretty good. Frank`s voice sounded canny. They did mostly Angel material with a song each from Frank and Punky`s solo album and a couple of covers. Punky looks like he`s had a bit of work done mind you and he does look like he`s borrowed Rita Fairclough`s hair :lol: but I`ve waited a long time to see them and certainly wasn`t disappointed.

That`s a shame. I hope she`s OK. The gig was great and the turnout was pretty good. Frank`s voice sounded canny. They did mostly Angel material with a song each from Frank and Punky`s solo album and a couple of covers. Punky looks like he`s had a bit of work done mind you and he does look like he`s borrowed Rita Fairclough`s hair :lol: but ive waited a long time to see them and certainly wasn`t disappointed.

I saw what you did there ! . Nice one .....did you take pics, done a review , get an interview ?

I saw what you did there ! . Nice one .....did you take pics, done a review , get an interview ?
Ha!! yes, I didn`t notice that when I did that...well spotted. I did take some photos but I`m not sure how to post them on here. As for an interview I did ask for one with both but I was told they probably wouldn`t have much time `cos of pre-show meet and greets so disappointingly I didn`t get one but I did interview Frank a couple of years ago about his solo album. I have however just interviewed Michael Schenker, Dan Reed and Charlie Starr from Blackberry Smoke as well as Jeff Wayne from War of the Worlds and am waiting to hear back about Jaz Coleman of Killing Joke and Wayne Kramer from MC5. It`s a busy time of year!!

Ha!! yes, I didn`t notice that when I did that...well spotted. I did take some photos but I`m not sure how to post them on here. As for an interview I did ask for one with both but I was told they probably wouldn`t have much time `cos of pre-show meet and greets so disappointingly I didn`t get one but I did interview Frank a couple of years ago about his solo album. I have however just interviewed Michael Schenker, Dan Reed and Charlie Starr from Blackberry Smoke as well as Jeff Wayne from War of the Worlds and am waiting to hear back about Jaz Coleman of Killing Joke and Wayne Kramer from MC5. It`s a busy time of year!!
How did you find Schenker ?. I remember talking to Pete Way back stage at the city hall once and Schenker had his own little cordoned off area away from the band. I don't think he was speaking to any of them. Really looking forward to the Killing Joke gig in a few weeks. Hope you get your interview with Jaz.

Back