Now That 40K looks certain!

Another group that will notice are the money man. Wether it be SD, JS or anyone they might wish to accept investment from. Football clubs with the potential of ours are rare. In my opinion, SD was only ever going to stabilise the club and prepare it for further investment.

Excellent point, it reminds the owners/prospective investors/sponsors/etc etc etc that we're worth their time, effort and money.

There's another point that the resident miseries are missing, sadly they're taking the phrase 'message to the world' entirely literally. It's actually a message to the football world of which we're all a part. It's possible there are players in that world who will know Sunderland are watching them with a view to making a bid .... and a massive gate, in this game, could quite easily be part of the reason a player would want to sign for the club.

No big deal but it might just make the difference we need at the end of the season.

Excellent point, it reminds the owners/prospective investors/sponsors/etc etc etc that we're worth their time, effort and money.

There's another point that the resident miseries are missing, sadly they're taking the phrase 'message to the world' entirely literally. It's actually a message to the football world of which we're all a part. It's possible there are players in that world who will know Sunderland are watching them with a view to making a bid .... and a massive gate, in this game, could quite easily be part of the reason a player would want to sign for the club.

No big deal but it might just make the difference we need at the end of the season.

It's a great point mate. Our reputation in the football world has been crippled during the Short years and something like this is another building block along the way in getting players who we might want to sign thinking that this may not be a bad club to play for after all.

I think this is true. Also, it helps counter the often negative perceptions portrayed about the city and living in the north east. Sometimes I wonder if we shy away from promoting ourselves in this part of the world...maybe self PR doesn't come as naturally as in other places. 40+ is definately an impressive positive story.

Two great posts ..the perception of our club is changing.Got text off a man city fan (season ticket holder)who i meet on holiday in spain and he knew about our boxing day gate .
Hes a long in the tooth football fan who was around when they were in third tier as well and is genuinely pleased we seem to be turning a corner.As said the positive vibes from our club will gradually filter out to the wider football community and can make a difference especially around recruitment/investment

All excellent posts everyone. The support home and away since the new owners came in has been phenomenal but the timing of this bumper crowd against the back drop of the Net Flix series is good news and no doubt CM will have a field day.

I think this is true. Also, it helps counter the often negative perceptions portrayed about the city and living in the north east. Sometimes I wonder if we shy away from promoting ourselves in this part of the world...maybe self PR doesn't come as naturally as in other places. 40+ is definately an impressive positive story.
Excellent point friend. The PR machine is in good hands with CM but home crowds holding up around the 30k mark shows the footballing world what this club is all about. Boxing Day will showcase that but I repeat the point about the Net Flix series - it's been incredibly well received around me by mags and the non-football public alike.

Absolute nonsense.

I doubt he means people in Burkino Faso or Heligoland ..... he means the English football world and he's right.

Not a gigantic everlasting message but a message all the same.

People claim Gascoigne was world famous which is shite, he was never anywhere near that.

People like you are just a little bit sad tbh.
Silly silly man.

I think Mr Sartori's father in law coming is really interesting...our new owners are very well connected. We should make them very welcome. A 40,000+ rocking SOL in Div 3 is a massive statement....hopefully they will see the potential.

If you can be there be there

Well said, the back patting is getting on my tits. I'm personally against holding scarves or cards or any other pre-planned bollocks like that. I do however, accept that I'm a miserable old bastard and may be in the minority.

We used to go to football to watch the match, now it seems we go to impress others.
Stop beating round the bush do you want to wave a scarf or not?

Fuck you on about? Sunderland haven't really been a club that does flags (liverpool, yes) . No one has taken a scarf to the match for about 50 years unless its freezing cold

I think we need them clackers that Leicester got though - just to keep up with the times ( Or just all turn up and make a great big noise like its always been )
Every Sunderland game is freezing cold bar one or two a season, so there is often scarves worn to the match.

I'm sure you're on a wind up about the clackers but if you're not can you let me know so I can tell you to fuck off? Cheers.

Back