1. The forums are temporarily closed for new registrations
    We expect to re-open for new users towards the end of July.
    Dismiss Notice

Notre Dame (Paris) on fire?

Discussion in 'SMB' started by AlpineExile, Apr 15, 2019.

1. Churchlanelad

Churchlanelad Goalkeeper

You also get a spectacular view of the cathedral from the train. Whenever I tell people I meet where I come from, I always tell them about the Cathedral and how it was cutting edge technology at the time.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
    ---Nemo--- likes this.
  2. cauldbairn

cauldbairn Central Defender

Radio 5 were interviewing the author Ken Follett earlier, he was really struggling to comprehend the notion that it was a simple technical fault which caused the fire. I haven't read Pillars of the Earth but I'll look into it, I've got a bit of a kick for the Angevin era.

---Nemo--- and Horatio Pugwash like this.
  3. ---Nemo---

---Nemo--- Striker

They used to visit back in the day, I guess when they had more bases here. While it wasn't a common sight I do recall the days when the old police box control stood in Durham market place I'd see huge American motors waiting for the wave through up to the green.

4. hank williams

hank williams Striker

I've been once as a bairn but still asked me fatha

Where's Quasimodo :lol:

---Nemo--- likes this.
  5. Horatio Pugwash

Horatio Pugwash Striker

Tbh i wasn't a Ken Follett fan but was give this book as a gift

I really enjoyed it as it was such an insight into just how a magnificent structure could be built in that era

6. They should wait till the fire is out and the structural engineers take a look at the state of the stone work before making statements like that. There is every chance the stone walls have moved due to the heat and the loss of the roof and no guarantee they can save the stonework in its entirety. I would be amazed if the stone work has fully survived.

7. ---Nemo---

---Nemo--- Striker

Went for a second hand version for a quid. If I'm lucky it will have been owned by a student or an academic and "annotated". :D

Horatio Pugwash likes this.
  8. cauldbairn

That reminds me, I had a couple of old ex-student Nietzsche paperbacks once which absolutely reeked of weed.

9. AB22 Easy Tiger

AB22 Easy Tiger Nocturnal Tourist Staff Member Contributor

10. hullmackem

hullmackem Striker

In no feasible way is Durham better than York :lol::lol::lol:

11. ---Nemo---

---Nemo--- Striker

Not me Guv, they would have reeked of Paki black or Afghani. :lol:

12. zwartekat

zwartekat Striker

This is true. At least it will be more worthwhile than the £46m it cost to repair the Cutty Sark after the fire.

hullmackem likes this.
  13. cauldbairn

I think he's just referring to the cathedral.

hullmackem likes this.
  14. ilovehorswill

ilovehorswill Winger

I hate to say it but the Minster is more impressive, doorknocker aside

15. SYB_DC

SYB_DC Winger

I read it almost more as a statement of will than of fact. If the thing stands, it is reparable once cost is taken out of the reckoning, as it seems likely to be (assuming it continues to stand for the pre repair interval). Who knows what they might need to do in terms of reinforcement, but if it will stand on its own it seems likely they’ll find a way to keep the same stone in same position pretty much no matter what.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
  16. Mr.Thunders

Mr.Thunders Striker

Glen Beck speculating if muslims are involved,shame @Aitkuk is banned.:lol::lol:

Lambchops likes this.
  17. EDGE

EDGE Winger

And Washington Old Hall.

18. Paddy O'Dors

Paddy O'Dors Striker

So were one or two on here mind. How sad must your life be when that is your default mode.

Horatio Pugwash likes this.
  19. Bad Dragon
    [​IMG]

20. Elephant

Elephant Winger

A Twitter tribute.

@WMcHBg: Notre-Dame has stood in Paris for 856 years. It’s 726 years older than the Eiffel Tower, 276 years older than Joan Of Arc (now deceased), and 640 years older than the USA. Seeing it destroyed in 45 minutes, live on Twitter, is difficult to find words for.

Ginger John and Alan BStard like this.