Notre Dame (Paris) on fire?

I was thinking of Sagrada Familia. They've been building that from scratch over the last 140 years or so. Obviously it's not going to be an overnight repair job, but it could be done in time. A very long time!

I work in the construction industry and pretty much anything can be replicated if you throw enough money at it. The methods will be completely different to the way they built it originally obviously. The art work internally and the fixtures and fittings really are irreplaceable though. I would think they would have modern digital surveys of the place as well which could be invaluable in trying to replicate it.

For a better example than the Sagrada Familia, look at the way the Germans rebuilt the historical centre of Dresden. What they have done there is truly remarkable but even those impressive building were like a McDonalds drive through compared to Notre Dame.

Remarkable Dresden Church Rises From the Ashes of WWII Bombing

Went there a few years back and its very impressive, and Dresden is a great city.

I agree, the restoration shouldn’t necessarily be carried out like for like. The exterior that survives could be incorporated into a more modern building/interior bringing another chapter in the life of this beautiful building.

People often forget these most of these ancient structures are not “as built” having had many disasters, rebuilding and additions over the centuries.

Logon or register to see this image

You are absolutely right. We see historical buildings as having been as we see them forever. But in reality, they’ve evolved over time.

What’s to say a modern twist won’t be for the better.

Such an amazing pic. I read that Churchill ordered extra special fire watch/protection on it because it was such a symbol of the country.
Still feel uncomfortable about them charging twenty quid entry fee unless you're a 'worshipper' (whatever that means).

I for one won't be cheering them on risking their lives if they go into that burning building. I'd rather they all get home to their families safe and sound.

Firefighters have lost their lives trying to save empty warehouses - their job is dangerous and they know it. Hopefully nobody has been hurt and they seem to have done an heroic job trying to save what they could. Notre Dame is a symbol for the people of Paris an important part of their culture and history - trying to save such an iconic building will mean a lot to Parisian fire fighters. People have worshipped in and visited that building for centuries and admired the craftsmanship of those who built it to the greater glory of god. It’s an important part of the history of Europe and sad to see such a beautiful building badly damaged - if lives are lost it will be a tragedy. Buildings can be restored and rebuilt - people are irreplaceable to those who love them.

I work in the construction industry and pretty much anything can be replicated if you throw enough money at it. The methods will be completely different to the way they built it originally obviously. The art work internally and the fixtures and fittings really are irreplaceable though. I would think they would have modern digital surveys of the place as well which could be invaluable in trying to replicate it.

For a better example than the Sagrada Familia, look at the way the Germans rebuilt the historical centre of Dresden. What they have done there is truly remarkable but even those impressive building were like a McDonalds drive through compared to Notre Dame.

Remarkable Dresden Church Rises From the Ashes of WWII Bombing

Went there a few years back and its very impressive, and Dresden is a great city.
I've been bashing Coventry enough this week but their flatpack Cathedral left me cold. This is absolutely amazing.

Good investment tactic to buy a oak plantation in France right now.
All sentiment to one side.

Water canon dowsing the structure to the left in that image. Hopefully soaked the timbers sufficiently to prevent spread.

Aye, but when the wood's so old as soon as it's soaked it'll be fucked and lose its strength. They'll need to get temporary replacement supports in there ASAP or it will still come down.

I agree, the restoration shouldn’t necessarily be carried out like for like. The exterior that survives could be incorporated into a more modern building/interior bringing another chapter in the life of this beautiful building.

People often forget these most of these ancient structures are not “as built” having had many disasters, rebuilding and additions over the centuries.

Coventry Cathedral springs to mind

You are absolutely right. An assessment of the mortar joints will state if they are good or need replacing. If this is the case, it’s potentially number each one with a unique identifier and rebuild. You are talking a decade to rebuild.

Not just the mortar - the heat could easily have cracked the masonry (or rapid cooling from the water being used to extinguish the fire) - the stonework alone could take decades to replace - there won't be enough traditional stonemasons in France to carry out the work, although cnc machinery will help.

Back