1. The forums are temporarily closed for new registrations
    We expect to re-open for new users towards the end of July.
    Dismiss Notice

Notre Dame (Paris) on fire?

Discussion in 'SMB' started by AlpineExile, Apr 15, 2019.

1. zwartekat

zwartekat Striker

Maybe, but it's not on fire.

2. OohBaldyBally

OohBaldyBally Striker

Not surprising really. Both monstrosities.

EDGE and ilovehorswill like this.
  3. EDGE

EDGE Winger

History hasn't judged him well.

ilovehorswill likes this.
  4. bigmarlon

bigmarlon Midfield

Anyone blamed Grigg yet?

5. Churchlanelad

Churchlanelad Goalkeeper

Seeing the images, it is tragic for the people of Paris that this iconic building has been so damaged by fire. Imagine how we would feel if this happened to Durham Cathedral. Nevertheless I am absolutely certain that it will be rebuilt, the authorities cannot do otherwise. It will take years but it will be restored, Durham Cathedral itself was constructed in only 40 years, a remarkable achievement when all that they had was muscle power.
    If anyone has visited York Minster, they can marvel at the repairs and improvements carried out there since the south transept fire in 1984. It is as if the fire never happened, such is the quality of the work.

Alan BStard and Horatio Pugwash like this.
  6. AB22 Easy Tiger

AB22 Easy Tiger Nocturnal Tourist Staff Member Contributor

Bamber likes this.
  7. ---Nemo---

---Nemo--- Striker

Just pulling his leg mate. Reims is beautiful too.

I'm gutted, I once spent a entire holiday visiting the major cathedrals of France, one of the best holidays I've ever had.

Horatio Pugwash likes this.
  8. DaveH

DaveH Striker

A friend went out with a lass who was a stone mason for York Minster. It was interesting chatting to her, her speciality was stone gargoyles. A career you don’t think people would do anymore, but needs doing to keep the old architecture alive.

9. zwartekat

zwartekat Striker

That sounds brilliant although I did something similar in Italy and have to admit that I started to get 'magnificent building' fatigue after a while. I should probably visit France more often as, apart from Paris, I only been a couple of times. Not sure why, probably a silly, subconscious prejudice.

Apparently, 99% look like Bob Todd.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
    andy likes this.
  10. ---Nemo---

---Nemo--- Striker

Fair point. I did reach a stage where I felt I was "box ticking". I kept it at bay by reading up on the cultural and architectural history/significance of each cathedral before the visits. :D

Italy is next on my list. I intend to include opera houses on this one. ;)

:cool:

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
    zwartekat likes this.
  11. Horatio Pugwash

Horatio Pugwash Striker

Have you read "pillars of the earth"

It gives you a real appreciaton of the science and effort of these buildings considering when they were constructed

12. the boot

the boot Midfield

Stone masons around the world at the ready. Kerching

Bishop Boy and Churchlanelad like this.
  13. bigmarlon

bigmarlon Midfield

Thread theme tune

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
  14. Churchlanelad

Churchlanelad Goalkeeper

I go past the stonemasons yard whenever I am in York, just to watch them for a while. When they have finished the restorations at the Minster, I am sure that they will be off to Paris.

Read that book because it was so well researched and learned a lot.

Horatio Pugwash likes this.
  15. ---Nemo---

---Nemo--- Striker

I haven't, although I will do soon. Thanks for that. :)

Edit. Ordered mate.

16. box2box

box2box Striker

They need to make sure they get atleast 3 quotes, and not necessarily select of price only

Bishop Boy likes this.
  17. According to Wiki, Durham Cathedral was finished 30 years before they even started building Notre Dam.

I always think we massively undersell ourselves up here in the North East. You get on a train from London in the summer and will see American tourists doing London, York and Edinburgh and possibly Peterborough to see the cathedrals etc, but they go straight past Durham and its easily as good if not better than Peterborough and York.

MrOompapa and OohBaldyBally like this.
  18. zwartekat

zwartekat Striker

That should be interesting. I'm not a fan of opera but I've done the tours of the opera houses in Naples and Palermo which are both fantastic. Never managed La Scala in Milan though.

19. This is the ultimate building project as the cost will be astronomical, but will go ahead anyway due to political will.

20. Horatio Pugwash

Horatio Pugwash Striker

There's a follow up to it which wasn't quite as good but the first is a classic

---Nemo--- likes this.