Notre Dame (Paris) on fire?

According to Wiki, Durham Cathedral was finished 30 years before they even started building Notre Dam.

I always think we massively undersell ourselves up here in the North East. You get on a train from London in the summer and will see American tourists doing London, York and Edinburgh and possibly Peterborough to see the cathedrals etc, but they go straight past Durham and its easily as good if not better than Peterborough and York.
You also get a spectacular view of the cathedral from the train. Whenever I tell people I meet where I come from, I always tell them about the Cathedral and how it was cutting edge technology at the time.

Last edited:

Have you read "pillars of the earth"

It gives you a real appreciaton of the science and effort of these buildings considering when they were constructed

Radio 5 were interviewing the author Ken Follett earlier, he was really struggling to comprehend the notion that it was a simple technical fault which caused the fire. I haven't read Pillars of the Earth but I'll look into it, I've got a bit of a kick for the Angevin era.

According to Wiki, Durham Cathedral was finished 30 years before they even started building Notre Dam.

I always think we massively undersell ourselves up here in the North East. You get on a train from London in the summer and will see American tourists doing London, York and Edinburgh and possibly Peterborough to see the cathedrals etc, but they go straight past Durham and its easily as good if not better than Peterborough and York.

They used to visit back in the day, I guess when they had more bases here. While it wasn't a common sight I do recall the days when the old police box control stood in Durham market place I'd see huge American motors waiting for the wave through up to the green.

They used to visit back in the day, I guess when they had more bases here. While it wasn't a common sight I do recall the days when the old police box control stood in Durham market place I'd see huge American motors waiting for the wave through up to the green.

I've been once as a bairn but still asked me fatha

Where's Quasimodo :lol:

Radio 5 were interviewing the author Ken Follett earlier, he was really struggling to comprehend the notion that it was a simple technical fault which caused the fire. I haven't read Pillars of the Earth but I'll look into it, I've got a bit of a kick for the Angevin era.
Tbh i wasn't a Ken Follett fan but was give this book as a gift

I really enjoyed it as it was such an insight into just how a magnificent structure could be built in that era

Notre-Dame Cathedral on Twitter

#BREAKING Notre-Dame's main structure is "saved and preserved" after fire.

They should wait till the fire is out and the structural engineers take a look at the state of the stone work before making statements like that. There is every chance the stone walls have moved due to the heat and the loss of the roof and no guarantee they can save the stonework in its entirety. I would be amazed if the stone work has fully survived.

In no feasible way is Durham better than York :lol::lol::lol:

They should wait till the fire is out and the structural engineers take a look at the state of the stone work before making statements like that. There is every chance the stone walls have moved due to the heat and the loss of the roof and no guarantee they can save the stonework in its entirety. I would be amazed if the stone work has fully survived.

I read it almost more as a statement of will than of fact. If the thing stands, it is reparable once cost is taken out of the reckoning, as it seems likely to be (assuming it continues to stand for the pre repair interval). Who knows what they might need to do in terms of reinforcement, but if it will stand on its own it seems likely they’ll find a way to keep the same stone in same position pretty much no matter what.

Last edited:

And Washington Old Hall.

A Twitter tribute.

@WMcHBg: Notre-Dame has stood in Paris for 856 years. It’s 726 years older than the Eiffel Tower, 276 years older than Joan Of Arc (now deceased), and 640 years older than the USA. Seeing it destroyed in 45 minutes, live on Twitter, is difficult to find words for.

Back