Northern trains

Right I`ve found the response I got to a letter a couple of seasons ago. The train was so crammed a lady had nothing to cling to on the seaham hall bend and went over. Have a fecking laugh at this the incompetent useless twats, cant wait to see the back of them....

It is not possible to dangerously overcrowd a train, rail vehicles are designed to operate safely when crush-loaded. There are no limits set in the Customer Promise on the number of standing passengers or the length of time you should expect to stand and there is no laid-down limit on the maximum number of passengers which can be carried on any of our vehicles.

I would like to assure you that our trains are designed to operate crush-loaded and their performance will not be feasibly affected by passenger load. In the event of an emergency, the safest place for passengers to be is invariably on the train and if it is necessary to evacuate then the present crew will facilitate this. In the case of a dire emergency, on most trains there are 4 doors per carriage which is a better ratio than that found on other methods of transport. The windows on board also act as emergency exits so I can assure you that in the case of an emergency customers will still be able to exit a vehicle if it is deemed a suitable option by the conductor, however as previously mentioned the safest place to be in these situations is often on the train itself.

For the third or fourth journey in a row I didn't pay going or coming back from Stockton. The lack of carriages only means the conductors find it more difficult to get up and down to collect people's money, invariably meaning the rail companies lose out on money. Adding a carriage or two would be better for everyone including their profits. Baffles me.

1640 from smogland tomorrow will be eventful

The trains are still a joke. As disco_pants93 says you regularly don't pay. I get on / off at Seaton Carew and there are times when there have been no seats going North. Hartlepool and especially Seaham passengers regularly suffer worse treatment. I appreciate the trains go on to Hexham or Carlisle and are largely empty after the Metro Centre so putting 4 carriages on may be a problem but they must lose loads of revenue.

The trains are still a joke. As disco_pants93 says you regularly don't pay. I get on / off at Seaton Carew and there are times when there have been no seats going North. Hartlepool and especially Seaham passengers regularly suffer worse treatment. I appreciate the trains go on to Hexham or Carlisle and are largely empty after the Metro Centre so putting 4 carriages on may be a problem but they must lose loads of revenue.

I kna through the week they have two trains on to poocastle least every half hour

But the 1635 out of mutantville will still be chock a block

Just like it was on our last night game we had even @Disco_Pants93 had to stand that time too

They have the same on a weekend too I've just checked but ours seem the most popular fir some reason

Last edited:
As a conductor for Northern, we understand the problem and have been requesting extra carriages or a half hourly service rather than hourly on a weekend but since the Pacers were retired there just isn't enough trains available to run the timetabled service never mind putting extra carriages on. It's frustrating for us as well as the passengers as it makes it harder for us to do our job and there is only so long you can keep repeating the same apology.

As a conductor for Northern, we understand the problem and have been requesting extra carriages or a half hourly service rather than hourly on a weekend but since the Pacers were retired there just isn't enough trains available to run the timetabled service never mind putting extra carriages on. It's frustrating for us as well as the passengers as it makes it harder for us to do our job and there is only so long you can keep repeating the same apology.

Aye for 30 years you've been repeating the same old apology

Gave some shit to some staff at Hartlepool a few weeks back then had a pint/chilled, returned and apologised.
Poor lad must arrive every Saturday knowing he faces a boatload of grief all day, on not great wages, cos his superiors couldnt organise a pissup in a brewery.

In no way is it the conductors fault, I just can't for the life of me imagine how much money northern rail is missing out on. I've saved at least £60-£70 this season because of overcrowding. Even on Saturday, the conductor came down to check tickets / collect money. She took payment off another one of the lads and walked past me. I shouted "excuse me" and she just carried on :lol: Of course I wasn't going to chase after her mind but I did try

In no way is it the conductors fault, I just can't for the life of me imagine how much money northern rail is missing out on. I've saved at least £60-£70 this season because of overcrowding. Even on Saturday, the conductor came down to check tickets / collect money. She took payment off another one of the lads and walked past me. I shouted "excuse me" and she just carried on :lol: Of course I wasn't going to chase after her mind but I did try

Maybe she fancied you

Happens every time I gan for breakfast with the lads at graft I always get an extra egg off one of the severs 😂

For the third or fourth journey in a row I didn't pay going or coming back from Stockton. The lack of carriages only means the conductors find it more difficult to get up and down to collect people's money, invariably meaning the rail companies lose out on money. Adding a carriage or two would be better for everyone including their profits. Baffles me.

Haven’t paid from Seaham for 3/4 Seasons now! Refuse to buy a Ticket from the Machine on the Platform as there is the regular possibility of not getting on and therefore wasting the money.
Not the Conductors or Drivers fault but the people who run Northern, and Network Rail who run the Track.
Heard in the past that they couldn’t just add extra carriages because the Pacers are not “walk-through” when doubled up, so would need to have double the Staff which they haven’t got!

Haven’t paid from Seaham for 3/4 Seasons now! Refuse to buy a Ticket from the Machine on the Platform as there is the regular possibility of not getting on and therefore wasting the money.
Not the Conductors or Drivers fault but the people who run Northern, and Network Rail who run the Track.
Heard in the past that they couldn’t just add extra carriages because the Pacers are not “walk-through” when doubled up, so would need to have double the Staff which they haven’t got!

Sounds like the sort of technical issue you’d expect overcome about 100 years ago doesnt it.

I had similar a few years back with an away game at West Brom. Had a couple of drinks in Brum city centre then got the tram. Conductor came down collecting fares but he hadn't reached me by the time we approached The Hawthorns stop, so I said "I need a ticket, I'm getting off here" and he said "Just jump off mate and don't worry about it". After the match, back to the station, no one on the platform checking or selling tickets, same thing happened, conductor didn't reach me, this time I just jumped off without approaching him, free ride both ways.

Grand Central running again on Saturday. Shame it now departs Eaglescliffe at 10:37 gets into the town at 11:26😞

‪Should mean less passengers on the northern trains at least!

GC reply on twitter as to why the train now leaves earlier...

Hi, we're using the fleet and train crew available and are not always be able to run additional trains after matches sorry. If you wish to discuss this and plans for future matches, please contact us on 0345 603 4852 (option 5) - opening hours are between 08:00 and 18:00 Mon-Fri.

Last edited:
Grand Central running again on Saturday. Shame it now departs Eaglescliffe at 10:37 gets into the town at 11:26😞

‪Should mean less passengers on the northern trains at least!

GC reply on twitter as to why the train now leaves earlier...

Hi, we're using the fleet and train crew available and are not always be able to run additional trains after matches sorry. If you wish to discuss this and plans for future matches, please contact us on 0345 603 4852 (option 5) - opening hours are between 08:00 and 18:00 Mon-Fri.
I'll be on the 11am GC out of British West Hartlepool, on Satda 👍

Back